Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM

75 posts, read 233,654 times

Advertisements

Hey, people of North Carolina! I thought that it might be cool to have a thread where we could just talk about what's going on in each other's lives? But, since we're always throwing around our opinions about stuff, this might be a nice change of pace. You can talk about the deep stuff, or just the regular every day that we usually deal with. Maybe this could be best thread ever to talk about. So..who's first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM

122 posts, read 456,976 times
Busy, busy, busy with more busy coming up.
I am a farmer and spring is 'go' time. I have chicks coming out of my ears and two incubators filled with eggs. I have two pens of new baby rabbits and my barn area is a muddy mess because of all the rain.
My laundry room is overtaken with all of my seedlings and I need to start many, many more, but I am running out of shelf space.
My redbuds are blooming and my poplars have leafed out and I need to cut the grass.
I have to put in the new roo pen to house my roos (dinner) and I need to move the pigs and till.
Are ya'll tired yet?
But, oddly enough.... here I sit. I am taking a break... yeah. That's it.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM

606 posts, read 1,979,002 times
Default Busy busy in Lenoir and Blowing Rock!

Well, this past week I managed (with help) to get two grant applications in, Blue Ridge Electric Foundation and High Country United Way. The Casting Bread Food Pantry (I'm the director) fed 33 families on Tues and Wed, of those 11 were new families, and 4 had never sought assistance anywhere before. I'm looking for volunteers if anyone is interested!

As busy as I am in the food pantry, I finally got a day at home. Today, my neighbors Junior and Larry came over and helped me get a chicken pen up and posts planted for a second. 135' of wire later, I need another 50' roll! I also got the trailer hitched and got most of the winter collection of trash, boxes, and assorted junk hauled to the dump. I am sunburned, very sore, and highly content. Tomorrow after church I'm going to clean out the chicken litter and turn my kitchen garden, and maybe start the big garden if I have time.

I'm looking forward to our final snow event of the year on Monday night and Tuesday. Ah! That reminds me, I need to get some more wood to the house for next week's mid to low 30's! Not quite sure I can swing the maul tomorrow . . . somebody got a hydraulic splitter I can borrow?

So that's what's going on with me. You?

Tracey

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Today we sold some boxes of flooring we didn't need on Craigslist and were able to buy FIVE beautiful bookcases (also from Craigslist) for what we sold the flooring for: $200 total. Each bookcase is worth about $260 new. Couldn't pass them by. We bought them from an advertising company that went out of business because their home builder client went bankrupt! So sad to hear about the bad times people are experiencing, but thrilled for getting a super deal because like everyone, we are short of $.

We're also getting ready for Easter next week with our grandson: egg coloring, baskets, egg hunt, Easter dinner. Can't wait.

I wish I lived on a farm and had chickens. We thought of having them here in the city for eggs, but our dogs would give them cardiac arrest, I'm sure. We'll get our veggie garden started next week, I hope.

In moving boxes of flooring, I found a box of books that belonged to my mother. One was a small book of stories called "Five Cents Worth of Skim Milk" and the subtitle was something like "a collection of boyhood stories during the Depression."

I've read a couple of the stories, and they really do remind me of current times and the desperation some people are feeling. My mother was born the year the stock market crashed and the Great Depression started. Yet she never, ever acted like she was raised in the Depression. She was always an elegant woman and never acted like we were lacking in anything, even when we were. In fact, the title of that little book refers to the author's joy in having a glass of cold milk during the Depression. I guess that epitomized my mother's attitude about life -- she appreciated each and every little thing and found joy in it. I'm going to try to start doing that and stop worrying about everything.

That's it.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-05-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 PM

39 posts, read 122,924 times
Hi,
Lokking forward to having a ten day break from teaching so I can get caught up and mentally prepare myself for EOG's. I got outside today and went for a wlk. I'm enjoying the great weather. Hard to believe that we're going to have a cold snap where it's going to get into the 40's?? I really enjoy living in Fayetteville as opposed to cold dreary Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina