Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

I wake up to the news that our State Superintendent of Public Instruction is having to sue for the right to do her job.

First we allowed a tax on food that was to go to educate our children. Then it was used for something else. We were lied to.

Then the voters allowed a state lottery that was supposed to be used on education only. Then it is being planned for something else. We were lied to again.

Now I find out that the governor thinks she knows better than the elected official how to run our schools. Maybe she should have run for that job instead of governor if that is the job she wanted.

Governor Perdue it is time to back off! Let our elected official do her job. Looks to me like she is more than qualified to do it.

Then maybe you can spend your time trying to find a way not to take money away from our educational system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_C...ic_Instruction

Last edited by NCN; 04-04-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
This probably belongs in the Political forum of this site.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
or in the NC general forum at least

Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM

I think it belongs just where I put it because that is where it is happening.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wake up to the news that our State Superintendent of Public Instruction is having to sue for the right to do her job.

First we allowed a tax on food that was to go to educate our children. Then it was used for something else. We were lied to.

Then the voters allowed a state lottery that was supposed to be used on education only. Then it is being planned for something else. We were lied to again.

Now I find out that the governor thinks she knows better than the elected official how to run our schools. Maybe she should have run for that job instead of governor if that is the job she wanted.

Governor Perdue it is time to back off! Let our elected official do her job. Looks to me like she is more than qualified to do it.

Then maybe you can spend your time trying to find a way not to take money away from our educational system.

North Carolina Superintendent of Public Instruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This post would be right at home in the NJ forum.

A lot of your transplants will feel right at home here.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:

Then the voters allowed a state lottery that was supposed to be used on education only.
No, the voters did NOT allow the lottery, this was a middle of the night, end run, rushed through when two of the opponents of the lootery were absent. That resulted in a tie, and then Lt. Gov Beverly Perdue broke the tie.

It was business as usual in a very corrupt state, and the voters were never given a voice.

Quote:
However, on August 30, 2005, two lottery opponents (Harry Brown, R-Jacksonville and John Garwood, R-North Wilkesboro) had excused absences. With this known, a special vote was called and the vote tied 24-24. Then Lieutenant Governor Beverly Perdue cast the tiebreaking vote, signaling the way for Governor Easley to sign it into law. The vote would have been defeated had the absent senators paired their votes.
And the tax on the 'bad at math' became law.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
This probably belongs in the Political forum of this site.
No, it is a North Carolina issue.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
yes, but not a raleigh issue, which is why it was moved...

Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,078 times
Quote:
I think it belongs just where I put it because that is where it is happening.
I usually tend to be pretty liberal, but I must admit, this time I agree with you. It doesn't seem to matter, they all just go and do whatever they want, no matter what they seemed to stand for originally!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No, the voters did NOT allow the lottery, this was a middle of the night, end run, rushed through when two of the opponents of the lootery were absent. That resulted in a tie, and then Lt. Gov Beverly Perdue broke the tie.

It was business as usual in a very corrupt state, and the voters were never given a voice.
And the tax on the 'bad at math' became law.
Thank you for correcting me on that. I remembered that we got the lottery and it was supposed to go toward education.

When you look back and see how long our state has been electing this office, isn't it amazing that there is no clear understanding of what the job entails. Something is very wrong in this situation.

Can you imagine how well funded our schools would be if they got all the money from the food tax and the lottery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina