Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 PM

21 posts, read 94,660 times

Advertisements

I live in NC and I fraudulently overdrew my unemployment insurance by about $900. I got a letter in the mail saying that they were auditing my account. I failed to report earnings for like five weeks. I wasn't going to do it. My mother encouraged me to do it like a mother encourages a son to clean his room or do his homework. Now I am not passing the buck and I am prepared to take whatever the law hands down to me. What I did was wrong. What should I do? Is there anyway I can avoid jail time?

Anyone know

Speak freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,047,358 times
You can legally make $80 a week on another job while still on unemployment, so you can subtract that from your fraudulent amount.

Lots of luck on the other amount. I'd call a lawyer.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,426,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You can legally make $80 a week on another job while still on unemployment, so you can subtract that from your fraudulent amount.

Lots of luck on the other amount. I'd call a lawyer.
The amount of earnings you can earn each week while drawing unemployment varies by claimant - it's not $80 for everyone, it's a dollar amount based on a formula (which escapes me right now). The more you earn from your regular earnings, the more you can earn while on unemployment. Those with a lower income will be allowed to earn less each week. Anything earned over that amount while receiving unemployment is deducted dollar for dollar from your benefit amount.

Now, as far as the overpayment and the fact that you did it knowingly - that's something you'll have to discuss with a consultant at the ESC. Perhaps they'll allow you to just pay it back, with penalties of course. On the other hand, since it was blatant fraud...

People who blatantly defraud the system and file for benefits they aren't entitled to cost the fund a lot of money. I believe that people should get every penny they're entitled to, but not one penny more. But more importantly, I also believe we have to protect the fund.

On the other hand, at least you and other defrauders are keeping people employed. :-)

Last edited by jdljr; 04-03-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,117,408 times
Here are the general statutes for NC:

North Carolina General Statutes § 96-18. Penalties. - North Carolina North Carolina General Statutes § 96-18. Penalties. - North Carolina Code :: Justia

I would assume you would be responsible for paying back the overage amount, along w/ any penalties that might be imposed. As long as you quickly pay it back once notified of the overpayment, it would seem that would prevent further action by the ESC.

I would personally seek an attorney's advice if you were my son. The money spent on doing that will certainly give you peace of mind.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrinch View Post
I live in NC and I fraudulently overdrew my unemployment insurance by about $900. I got a letter in the mail saying that they were auditing my account. I failed to report earnings for like five weeks. I wasn't going to do it. My mother encouraged me to do it like a mother encourages a son to clean his room or do his homework. Now I am not passing the buck and I am prepared to take whatever the law hands down to me. What I did was wrong. What should I do? Is there anyway I can avoid jail time?

Anyone know

Speak freely.
Wow. Quite a mess you got yourself into.

Here is what I would do (I am NOT a lawyer): I'd be completely honest with them and cooperate fully. Tell them I took some bad advice from my bad mom, didn't think it through, got greedy, that I'm not the brightest guy in the world, that I regret it and am willing to settle it in any way they see fit. My thinking would be that if I make it easier for them to do their jobs perhaps they wouldn't go after me full throttle.

Perhaps most importantly, I would immediately begin thinking for myself and living my life as I see fit, doing things the way I feel is right. I would also never ever ever take advice from my mother again, but I assume that goes without saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina