Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

If y'all moved North, you'd be saying, "Well, back in North Carolina, we did it this way."

Well, bless my heart.

I say "We did it this way back home..." only to tease. My Southern husband now refers to New York as the Promised Land, Land of Milk and Honey, etc.

The reality is that the world is changing (not just NC), and how it was will never be the same. Every time we get in our car and drive more than three miles, we see incredible changes. It just never ends around here.

Quote:
This is true all over the south. Sometimes I want to say "Well, if you want things the way they were there, you should have stayed there. This isn't that place; it's different here." When one starts talking about the superior way things were done "back home" s/he is implying that the way we do things is inferior. It is insulting. When folks are insulted to their faces, they tend to be a bit less than optimally cordial in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
If y'all moved North, you'd be saying, "Well, back in North Carolina, we did it this way."

Well, bless my heart.

If anyone moves up north and proceeds to insult you to your face, you are welcome to bless his/her heart. Since you live in the south, you already know what that means,

Old 04-07-2009, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,526 times
we are very nice we just dont take no crap from anyone

Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Default We used to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A lot of it is a tit for tat scenario. The outsiders that look down their noses at locals, are loud, rude, arrogant, overbearing and overly impressed with themselves will not be greeted with in a friendly manner.

And no one, not even transplants that have blended in want to hear "well back in _________ we did it this way"

My personal favorite is...

"Back in Michigan is snows in FEET--inches do not count."

Otherwise why would we have left it it was being done "right"...

Something had to be terribly wrong back in (WHERE EVER) to convince us life would be so much better here...

Old 04-07-2009, 07:38 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
People in the Triangle tend to be more laid back and friendly when compared to many areas north of here. The stress of life I have found does not take a toll like it does elsewhere. Just have a cold 12 pack and your neighbors will love you. I have found more strangers who will approach you and talk you to death. Especially older ones who are probably retired. I think retired people in North Carolina like to sit back and sit back and chat. That is in public or private settings.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 25,732 times
I have found everyone I have met in NC to be very friendly. I am a yankee, Floridiot, halfback, transplant and at first I found some of the terms used to describe us to be insulting, but have come to understand why Southerners feel this way. We moved here because my husbands family lives in NC(Wilkes and Watauga counties). And also for work. We have been here 2 years and love it! I would never say back in ______ we did it this way etc. If you like it done the way you did it back wherever then stay there. I for one love the laid back way of living here. Its very peaceful and the locals want it to stay that way. Respect that and you will fit in no problem. The locals near us in Sugar Grove/Vilas/Bethel area are the nicest people I have ever met! From neighbors to teachers and the farmer down the road etc. Always willing to help if you're in need. Everyone waves as you pass them. And I love how I can go down to the little store and see the locals sitting at the table in the corner visiting everyday. In no hurry to get somewhere, relaxing. I haven't seen that in years, until we moved here. I say "Thank You NC for having us and being the way you are, hope it never changes!"

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 84,115 times
I've been to North Carolina before.
The people that I have spoken to there have been friendly.

However, you can't judge a persons personality based on which state they are from.
But, I guess they are pretty nice.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorio View Post
and you call New Yorkers rude take a look at yourself.
O And by the way you people do not know how to cook around here.
you people don't have that great of an education around here.
and they talk so funny because of the chewing tabbaco in there cheek.

F.Y.I. And in case you don't know what that means For your information
Alot of new yorkers are moving here. if they can make it in New York they can make it anywhere.
Wow.

IF you run into impolite people while in NC, pay attention - they are probably not natives.

"you people" - now that is sheerly condescending and using that terminology is bound to get a person tarred and feathered and sent packing with directions back to I-95 North. And rightfully so, may I add.

As far as education, I believe LFLORIO needs some more him/herself. Use a dictionary, dear. That is not how one spells TOBACCO.

I will be glad to forward some basic grammar rules: "their" is a possessive pronoun. We are taught this here in NC by the third grade. And since this is a plural possessive pronoun, one should add an "S" to cheek, making it "cheeks."

For future reference, I have corrected your last sentence, wh/ is in desperate need of punctuation and correct capitalization.

F.Y.I.: add colon And in case you don't know what that means,add comma and add "it is an acronym representing the phrase" For your information. add period
Alot - improper construction - two words - A lot of new yorkers (please use caps - proper noun) are moving here. if - please capitalize, beginning of sentence they can make it in New York, (add comma, dependent clause) they can make it anywhere.

As far as how we cook in this region, it may not be your preference but obviously, we like it. Since cooking is an individual pursuit, why would it make a hill of beans to you how we choose to prepare our foods? Fix your food any way you desire to fix it. However, if you are incompetent in the kitchen, I invite you to Charlotte to enroll in our world renowned culinary institute - Johnson & Wales. They regularly offer classes to our community even if you are not interested in enrolling fulltime.

BTW - Welcome to North Carolina!

PS: BTW is an acronym that represents the phrase - "by the way."

Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Great Post, Ani

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
Great Post, Ani
Thank you, Catbird! It is beautiful day here in Charlotte. I hope you are enjoying as wonderful a day in Boone!

Aren't we are friendly bunch here in NC????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina