Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM

116 posts, read 446,078 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone has the names of some moving companies that might offer storage and or reasonable prices. Looks like we might have to store our things if we can't find a rental. Thanks!
Duke101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
We used United Express out of LA.( we were not from LA) We payed .53cents a lb.,came out to around $7,000 for all of our stuff and they stored it for a month in LA for free.They basically leave it in the big truck. We packed all of our belongings but they loaded the truck.So when we were ready and it was a month later they left at the aprroperate day that we needed them to. I cant say they are the best or most proffessional of business people but a major well known company would have been double that. Nothing was missing but a few things were damaged.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 AM

633 posts, read 2,541,631 times
I haven't done the move yet, but here's what I'm planning, sounds logical anyway. There is a company callled PODS. I'm sure you've probably heard or seen it. The company brings a large container to your home. You load it. And they transport it on their big truck to your new location. Everything is insured just like if you were to hire a moving company. The reason I thought this would be a great idea is what happens if you get to where your moving to and your home/apt isn't ready to move into the date the moving truck arrives? Now you have a big truck loaded that needs emptied and you have nowhere to put it. With PODS, they will keep your container at their warehouse and store it there (for a monthly fee of course) until you are ready for it. You can even have access to it and get stuff if need be in the meantime. I priced a 3+ bedroom house to move from San Diego to Raleigh, NC and it came out to be a little over $4k plus a $200 monthly storage fee until you need it unloaded. Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 24,680 times
Moved from MA to NC. Used three PODS. I had them delivered to my house.I packed them.They were stored in MA for a time and then moved to storage in Raleigh. I had access to them while they were in storage.Then when I was ready for them I had them delivered to my new house. The three PODS were seperate individual events that I controlled at my convieneince. I packed the PODS when I wanted with what I wanted and how I wanted (everything arrived intact). The service I received was excellent. Make sure you understand the insurance costs. It worked for me in the situation that I was in. There on line, they answer their phone and they speak English.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM

116 posts, read 446,078 times
Thanks everyone,
I think I will try PODS again. We got a bid when we were first considering the move and it was astronomical, but I have a much better idea now of what exactly we will be moving. I have heard mixed reviews about United Express, but will probably call them as well. Someone also PM'd me about a company called Umove. Has anyone used them? The storage for us looks like it might be necessary and the moving company wanted 3,000 to store it for 1 month!
Thanks again,
Duke101

Old 03-30-2007, 12:30 AM

396 posts, read 972,580 times
check out movingscam .com We are in the process of pricing our move from CA to NC. We have looked at ABF which is similar to PODS but cheaper, moovers, and have allied coming our for an estimate tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina