U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,004 times

Advertisements

I am a carpenter from Michigan, Ill tell you what ive been layed off for some time and I cant find a job anywhere. Ive considered North Carolina as a place to re locate due to the high growth I figured the demand for homes and building would be high. So I was wondering how is the construction down there and where is it booming the most?

Thanks Guys

Corey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 09:53 PM

45,269 posts, read 91,700,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthinfancy View Post
I am a carpenter from Michigan, Ill tell you what ive been layed off for some time and I cant find a job anywhere. Ive considered North Carolina as a place to re locate due to the high growth I figured the demand for homes and building would be high. So I was wondering how is the construction down there and where is it booming the most?

Thanks Guys

Corey
Well, in the Charlotte area check out the south end of Mecklenburg county and the north end. Also, Union county right next door to south Charlotte. In the Raleigh area one of the big boom places for housing continues to be Cary. I have no doubt you would have your pick of jobs once you make some contacts. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,357,405 times
I agree with the above poster those areas are booming and will be for a good 10 years at least. If you know the spanish language or take classes to learn it will be an added bonus for a shoe in.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,536,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthinfancy View Post
Seems like a lot of opportunity out here in RDU. Lots of renovations going on too in the Raleigh area (and hopefully Durham, too). Of course, you can always partner up with someone who is buying homes for conversion once renovated. That could make you a good sideline income (if not a full-time). However, there are a lot of poor carpenters out here, so align yourself with the best if you can (providing that quality - done on time within budget - is your top priority). I'm finding that some carpenters do take their time, however. On all levels of business. Coming from me, a person who wants everything done yesterday.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:48 AM

2,245 posts, read 5,356,377 times
There is work but from what I've seen it doesn't pay well. The Latinos are doing a huge portion of it and they work cheap which lowers the overall economy. Builders are getting very rich though if you want to try your hand at ownership.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,790 times
Default Carpenters and construction jobs

Thanks to the massive influx of illegal immigrant labor American carpenters and construction workers will soon be a thing of the past. An earlier post said learn Spanish to work as a carpenter-makes no sense.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,536,780 times
It simply comes down to money. Greed. And the willingness of people to perform a job at lower rates. Unfortunately, immigrants will work a low wages and business owners are willing to take advantage of such eagerness. A catch 22, but one that neither group should subscribe. But they do. And, thus, the end of the middle class as we know it. What a shame.

On the other hand, we live in a country of opportunity where any person of skill can take the initiative, align themselves with others (if they cannot manage the entire process), and develop a thriving going concern. Who knows how long that will last here in this country, but opportunities abound for the ambitious.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM

212 posts, read 1,008,031 times
A skilled carpenter can make a decent living in NC. You have to get in with a good outfit like anywhere else. The best idea might be to come in prepared to contract out your specialty. All the builders have their subs they use and you will need to make contacts...you might try opening your own general home repair business and hook up with the chamber of commerce or builder's association. Another thought is running a landscaping/grass cutting crew while you network. Start up costs are fairly reasonable and the season is upon us.

One good thing, the weather might be a pleasant surprise for you, especially in the mountains.

There are so many aspects of carpentry/building that it is sort of hard to advise. If you are used to union scale wages you are in for a shock...which is why ownership/running your own crew is worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina