Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:57 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times

Advertisements

I see three columns for the grid that include monthly, 12 monthly, and annual. Why is monthly and 12 monthly different? I am from Colorado and teachers are paid year round with the first pay check starting a month after school starts, so in September. Additionally, paychecks go out once a month. Can someone please explain this grid?

Also, health insurance. I see the one and only plan option for teachers- wow. What a deductible! Does anyone else use this plan and can you tell me what individual and family plans cost?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
12 month employees work all year long and get paid. Principals are 12 month employees (among other people ) and teachers are 10 month employees.

I have several insurance options and I don't know what you are referring to. My health insurance is completely covered, and I am not sure what it costs to add a family. Dental is extra.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 AM

34 posts, read 178,737 times
If you are a teacher (a 10 month position), you can opt to have your paychecks spread out over 12 months. You still get paid the same salary, only your monthly paychecks will be a little less since you are spreading it out over 12 months instead of 10.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM

11 posts, read 41,333 times
Seems like a few teachers are responding here. I want to move to Colorado and I've taught Prek, 1st, 4th 5th and 6th grades. What's the job market like? Am I going to struggle to get employed? I'd work in private schools as well as public....I don't care about money, just having a job....

Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM

That is what I guessed. Thanks!
The insurance I was referring to is one site that I thought was the teacher's health insurance plan so I assumed it was the only one. Good to know that it isn't the only one.

And, not to turn this into a CO thread, grin...you won't have a problem landing a job. Our salaries are a bit higher than NC but we are competitive so the salary varies by district. We don't have many private schools, mostly public. We have good schools. Check out the CO threads on this site and feel free to ask more questions or PM me for more.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:57 PM

I can't get my checks spread over 12 months. We don't have an option. I get 10 pay checks a year plus 2 supplement checks in November and in June. I have to go from May 31 to August 31st with out a check

Well, I do get a $1000 supplemental check in June....

Oh, and sorry about the confusing post above. My mom called while I was reading it and apparently I can't read. I gave no information

Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Are the supplement checks the stipend they talk about? or is that just added to your overall salary?

Which county do you work in if you don't mind me asking? I am considering Wayne or Johnston counties. I am hesitant to put my application for a special educatio spot yet...

Old 05-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Yeah, it's the same thing. I work in Rowan County, which is about halfway between Charlotte and Winston-Salem.

I know someone who works in Johnston and loves it.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 AM

247 posts, read 997,583 times
Depending upon the county you work for, your supplement is paid either monthly or twice a year in lump payments.

As for insurance, there is only one plan. The State Health Plan of NC. There are different levels to that plan. It's not the greatest insurance. My husband (who's a teacher) pays $600 a month to cover a family. Now granted, we chose the higher end of the level because the basic only covered 80%. We have 90% coverage at this health plan level.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,173 times
Default perplexed about how teachers are paid

Is there an accounting term of sorts to describe what happens to the paychecks of teachers who are paid over 12 mo versus 10 months? The reason I ask is that a teacher was just hired in March and wonders why her biweekly check isn't the same amount as someone else with the same annual salary that has been working the full year. The way I see it is that if she were to get the amount this person is getting ($1800 vs her $1400) she would be getting postponed pay for the previous 6 months that does not belong to her because she wasn't working at that salary for the full year??? Thanks Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina