Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Hi. A friend of mine just found out she is pregnant. She is not married, but does live w/ the father of the baby.

Does anyone know if they count her BFs income when taking into consideration if she is eligible for coverage, or not? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Hi. A friend of mine just found out she is pregnant. She is not married, but does live w/ the father of the baby.

Does anyone know if they count her BFs income when taking into consideration if she is eligible for coverage, or not? Thanks.
I believe all income coming into the home has to be reported. That would mean if she had roommates that help pay for anything - she is supposed to report that, too. Tell her to be really careful how she fills out info, b/c if she does not report that income but then shows that she is paying rent and has other assets, etc. they can do an audit and things can get really complicated. So for instance, if she says she doesn't have a car but then they trace through license and SS# that she has been carrying car insurance, they can turn down her application and then she will be in a real dilemma w/ paying for medical care.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 PM

264 posts, read 854,095 times
Ani is right. She needs to report everything. They will find out if she doesn't and then she's pretty much screwed. I think they help you fill out the forms though. A friend of mine didn't know she and her husband were eligible and went through the whole 9 months without any insurance or anything. WHen she finally delivered a lday came to her hospital room and asked if she wanted to apply for the financial assistance and they ended up not having to pay for anything regarding the labor and delivery at the hospital...just her Dr's. The next time she got pregnant she applied from the beginning and went through the "medicaid Dr." and rec'd excellent care and affordable. If your frind needs a recommendation for a Dr. through medicaid, let me know and I will ask her who it was. She was real pleased with him.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Ok, I'll make sure to tell her. Her BF makes quite a bit of money so I'm guessing she may not be eligible? Obv, she is not on his insurance because they are not married though.

If federal law defines "family" as people who live in the same house together it doesn't seem right that she shouldn't be able to get on his insurance unless they get married, which is another option, but I'm gonna guess they'd say it was a pre-existing condition? She's only about a month pregnant.

Anyways, thanks for the responses

Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Ok, I'll make sure to tell her. Her BF makes quite a bit of money so I'm guessing she may not be eligible? Obv, she is not on his insurance because they are not married though.

If federal law defines "family" as people who live in the same house together it doesn't seem right that she shouldn't be able to get on his insurance unless they get married, which is another option, but I'm gonna guess they'd say it was a pre-existing condition? She's only about a month pregnant.

Anyways, thanks for the responses
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure an insurer cannot deny for a pre-existing condition when a spouse is added to a plan. I don't even think that's a question they ask.

Marriage sounds like a good idea here in more ways than one.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah they were planning on getting married anyways, but were waiting for his annulment thru the Catholic Church to be finished. Looks like they may not be doing that anymore

Old 04-25-2009, 03:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Sometimes the annulment by the CC for "marriage was not consumated" is hard to get and prove. Hopefully she has to do this only one time as the second time might be a little tricky.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Sometimes the annulment by the CC for "marriage was not consumated" is hard to get and prove. Hopefully she has to do this only one time as the second time might be a little tricky.
LOL!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
What can be done is . . . continue w/ the annulment process . . . get married at a justice of the peace, and later, after the annulment comes through, get married (religious ceremony) in the church. They should talk to their Priest about this. I know of another couple who worked it this way and I think a lot has to do w/ their Priest.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure an insurer cannot deny for a pre-existing condition when a spouse is added to a plan. I don't even think that's a question they ask.

Marriage sounds like a good idea here in more ways than one.
Well, there is a big difference b/n getting medicaid, wh/ is an entitlement program thru/ the state, and paid for by tax dollars, and the restrictions that private insurance carriers can put on their subscribers.

In this case, the smartest thing would be for the guy to talk to his benefits administrator at work and find out what the restrictions and limitations are on his particular policy (if any). Then he knows, and they can make a good decision as a couple.

That is a big expense to have to pay out of pocket! They are wise to seek out all options for payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina