Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:02 AM

11 posts, read 64,278 times

Advertisements

I remember on time i was in virginia and we got like two inches of snow and the town was shut down for the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Last January Raleigh NC got .7 of an inch and they closed school and business early, and there was a 10 hour traffic lock-up.... many people had to spend the night at work and a few schools had to keep some of the kids there over night..... from little more than half an inch! (You should've seen this place when they got 27 inches in 2000!)

Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 AM

164 posts, read 353,250 times
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm probably going to be one of those people who goes crazy if a speck of snow hits the earth. I'm from Fresno, CA and we don't get snow. To me, having snow where we live would be the most exciting, romantic experience ever! So if it snows after we move to NC, my family will probably stop everything to stand outside and enjoy it. Then we will get in the car to buy emergency provisions. Oh, wait, we can't drive, can we?? Will we need chains?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM

lol. The biggest concern in the South is actually ice more than snow. NC tends to get more icestorms than blizzards of heavy snow. When it snows, drive carefully and you'll be fine... after an ice storm; don't drive.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:02 AM

I've heard of ice storms and have an idea of what they are, but really, what are they?? Not trying to sound stupid or naive because I'm not, but some of these weather patterns are only known to those on the West Coast in theory. Never lived through some of this stuff.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 AM

An icestorm occurs when there is heavy freezing rain That's when the upper atmosphere is warmer than the ground temperature, and percipitation falls as rain, but freezes when it hits the surface. The last major icestorm was in February 2003, with one inch of accumulation of ice. Power is usually cut off because the ice accumulates on the powelnes and snaps them, or because the ice accumulation on tree branches is too heavy.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'm probably going to be one of those people who goes crazy if a speck of snow hits the earth. I'm from Fresno, CA and we don't get snow. To me, having snow where we live would be the most exciting, romantic experience ever! So if it snows after we move to NC, my family will probably stop everything to stand outside and enjoy it. Then we will get in the car to buy emergency provisions. Oh, wait, we can't drive, can we?? Will we need chains?
You don't get enough snow in most of NC to be a real problem anyway. Since everything essentially shuts down, no one gets to upset about being late or missing work.
You will need to check about chains. They may be illegal in some areas.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
Ice storms are freezing rain that lays a sheet of ice on everything. The ground, the trees, the roads - everything! It is extremely dangerous to drive on it because no one knows how and it is impossible not to skid. Most communities that aren't accustomed to winter precipitation are not equipped to deal with ice. Plows are basically useless, only sand offers any help at all and big cities (and small ones) just don't have the resources, financial or equipment, to respond to ice. All you can do is wait for the thaw.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
Ice storms are freezing rain that lays a sheet of ice on everything. The ground, the trees, the roads - everything! It is extremely dangerous to drive on it because no one knows how and it is impossible not to skid. Most communities that aren't accustomed to winter precipitation are not equipped to deal with ice. Plows are basically useless, only sand offers any help at all and big cities (and small ones) just don't have the resources, financial or equipment, to respond to ice. All you can do is wait for the thaw.
Well, that doesn't sound very romantic. So, if I go outside, I'm going to get millions of tiny stabbings from freezing rain?? And, if I stay inside, I'm trapped with 4 kids who are bored. Great ....

Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Default Snow & Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
Well, that doesn't sound very romantic. So, if I go outside, I'm going to get millions of tiny stabbings from freezing rain?? And, if I stay inside, I'm trapped with 4 kids who are bored. Great ....
Most things seem a lot more romantic on TV than in real life. I like snow, which is one reason I moved back North and left NC. But, it is wet and cold and after a day or so if you are in town it gets dirty and nasty. Just enjoy it while it is falling.
Last year we got a 24 inch snow here in NYC and didn't miss a day of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina