Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,075 times

Advertisements

We have lived in lots of places, including three spots in Çanada, Maryland, and Virginia, both Southwest and Northern versions. We are native North Carolinians and now have a second home near Cape Carteret, NC.

We have people in our sub-division from all over. As we have found in most places, you can find plenty of good people and some not so good folks. I can tell you my experience in an area, but like the EPA mileage estimates, your experience might be totally different.

No matter where you live, there are open-minded communities and ones that don't like outsiders. We have learned by trial and error to spot the places which aren't friendly to new people.

There is no shortage of poorly informed commentary even in the NC forums. Any time someone makes a blanket statement about an area, it is likely wrong.

What I value most in the forums is people who live in a particular area and can objectively see the good points and bad points. There is no perfect spot for everyone, but you can find one that meets your needs almost everywhere. I think that I have found our Coastal Paradise.

If you move from NY and expect your favorite parts of NY to follow you, I doubt you will be happy. We've lived on a mountain for 18 years and are now spending time at the beach.

I don't miss the ice storms because when you are living on a mountain they can nearly isolate you for days. We had a vehicle where we had to put chains on all four wheels. I also kept ice creepers for my shoes.

There aren't many nice ice storms because usually someone, somewhere has to face some serious damage. Give me a good snow storm any day of the week.

I wouldn't worry too much about what others are saying about NC. I think the votes are in and plenty of people are heading this way. I'm all for the complainers staying where they are or moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM

That's is absolutely right. Your personal attitude can make some pretty tough spots a perfect place for a time.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
My first thought was "good, maybe they will stay in NY!" Sorry, just a couple of bad apples have ruined it for me lately.

Just last week I went to the Bi-lo on Independence and some guy was going OFF as loud as he could saying, "I hate f-ing Charlotte, y'all are a bunch of *&^&*%$#. Come to NY, to my hood, then you will know what life is really like!" Then he left the store and most people were staring at the door in shock.

I am sure that 99% of NY ers are fine. I just have really been hit lately with some doosies.

As for fitting in, absolutely it is about attitude. I am from LA, CA and honestly, there are some days when I miss it so badly I could cry, but I try to keep it to myself and not compare....actually I don't keep it to myself, I take it out on my DH!

Dawn

Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 AM

Some people, and my wife is one of them, have tremendously powerful ties to an area. At one time I was rating our moves by the number of tissue boxes.

When we moved off the farm from Tay Creek, New Brunswick (Canada) after eleven years to Halifax, Nova Scotia, it was at least a five tissue box move.

I can still remember opening her car door (we were in two cars) and having to collect tissues that were falling out after our six hours of driving through a blizzard.

I am more of an area tourist. I love where I live, but I am always ready to try a new area. I once wrote a post about it, "Wanderlust of the soul."

The other thing that may help me move is that I keep in touch with my friends by instant messaging. Having lived in the world of technology, I actually know a fair number of folks in their fifties and even sixties who use instant messaging. I love it. It's nice catching up with people on a regular basis and makes me feel like I am still part of an area.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
I think the NY folks speak the truth about what they see>I think the NC people speak the truth of what they see. Its their own truths and no one will say some magic sentence to make them change their views.Different strokes.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I think the NY folks speak the truth about what they see>I think the NC people speak the truth of what they see. Its their own truths and no one will say some magic sentence to make them change their views.Different strokes.
Every person is certainly entitled to their own viewpoint, and we don't all have to have the same one. HOWEVER, if people chose to share those viewpoints in a rude or obnoxious manner that is not acceptable and THAT is what people are complaining about.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 203,886 times
They can share their opinions in any manner they choose. Just because some find it rude or obnoxious doesn't mean they can't do it. Free speech, remember?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIlover View Post
They can share their opinions in any manner they choose. Just because some find it rude or obnoxious doesn't mean they can't do it. Free speech, remember?
I didn't say they couldn't express themselves, I just said doing it rudely or obnoxiously is unacceptable. Guess I should have added, unacceptable to well-mannered people.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 AM

59 posts, read 203,886 times
I hear ya. It just sounded like you were saying that they shouldn't say certain things a certain way, but that's what message boards are for... acceptable or not. Carry on!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,320 times
Well I am all for free speech but some ppl have forgotten how to respect other human beings. Difference between the freedom to say what you want and the freedom to know how to communicate effectively and like you have been raised in a civil society. At teh same time I think we are WAY too PC and need to be thicker skinned but I think speaking your opinion and being actually rude are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina