Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

I will admit that I might well be missing something and hopefully someone can explain and help me feel that they do have a clue. However on first reader and without additional explanation from them I wonder. This is in relationship to a request from Wake County.
School 'furlough day' not likely - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1516966.html - broken link)
But Harrison said he is telling local districts that employees can take furlough time here and there during the school day if they're not teaching or supervising students. For example, a teacher who has a planning period in his schedule that she doesn't need can count that time toward the 10 hours.

"I believe that was the intent," Harrison said.

Let me get this right. A furlough is defined as a layoff and a teacher if they don't have enough work to do during a planning period can elect to drink a cup of coffee for 50 minutes, be laid off for that time and not get paid? Does he realize that teachers are entitled to recover during their planning time and can do that anyway? Now their wisdom gets even better. How to furlough bus drivers who only work and get paid when they are transporting students. Hmmmm what brilliant suggestions are the folks at the state board coming up for them? Let's see-

Though the policy does not address school employees paid with county funds, Harrison said he recommends districts treat them as if they are state employees.

Sometimes it is best to remain silent when speaking government policy and you haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully I am just missing something and the complete and total logic of it all will be explained and I will feel that it is best to leave policy making to the experts.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-12-2009 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM

130 posts, read 390,779 times
Welcome to the Big Tent of the Republican Party!

P.S. I won't tell Bev

Old 05-08-2009, 11:36 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
Would you prefer layoffs?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
Would you prefer layoffs?
No you are missing the point. Furloughs I understand are needed but they seem like they are unwilling to allow education staff to actually not go to work. Don't call it a furlough which by definition is a temporary layoff. Call it salary reduction and be honest and tell them they are still working but having their salary reduced.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
Welcome to the Big Tent of the Republican Party!

P.S. I won't tell Bev
This isn't a Democrat or Republican issue as the same people would be in the Board of Education anyway. Call it them not thinking the implementation through. Perdue developed the policy this is implementation having trouble getting going.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
No you are missing the point. Furloughs I understand are needed but they seem like they are unwilling to allow education staff to actually not go to work. Don't call it a furlough which by definition is a temporary layoff. Call it salary reduction and be honest and tell them they are still working but having their salary reduced.
So, do you have a better idea? When could they "take off" that would not affect education and not cause subs to be hired?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Keep in mind that, having worked for the state in the past, I recall that there are issues with salary reductions on positions. Could result in the position staying at the lower salary or similar. While a "furlough" could be considered temporary and allow them to go back to salary/seniority, etc. once this blows over.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
So, do you have a better idea? When could they "take off" that would not affect education and not cause subs to be hired?
Teacher work days and staff development days. Don't tell people to take off but also expect them to come to work that day. Other state employees won't have to come to work. Or can take blocks of time of five hours and not 50 minutes while still at work. Do you realize they will still be at work?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that, having worked for the state in the past, I recall that there are issues with salary reductions on positions. Could result in the position staying at the lower salary or similar. While a "furlough" could be considered temporary and allow them to go back to salary/seniority, etc. once this blows over.
Yes your point is right. However a furlough by definition is a temporary layoff. Staying in the teachers lounge and not doing school work is not the normal definition of a temporary layoff. If you still want people to report to work don't call it a furlough.
In fact here is a homework assignment for ya. Look at the attached school calendar and pick a day that teachers are in attendance and students aren't.
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2009-10/09-10-trad.pdf

Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry my smart A response should go with this response. Pick a day where teachers are in attendance and students aren't and you have your answer.
http://www.wcpss.net/Calendars/2009-10/09-10-trad.pdf

Oh yeah normally when employees are furloughed the normal flow of their job duties are interrupted. That is because they are not at work.

Do you like their plan for bus drivers?

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-08-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina