U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
38 posts, read 93,891 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Hi All, my new husband and I are considering a move to start our new life together and I randomly have chosen North Carolina as one of our prospective areas. We love Seattle, but the weather is very difficult for me (I am not a native) Here is a list of things we are interested in and maybe someone out there can offer a match. We love being near a bigger city and all it has to offer. We are interestewd in North Carollina because it has access to water (my husband grew up on an Island in Seattle) mountains, etc.. I think flatlands would be too hard on my hubbs.

Things I like: Natural health Clinics (i plan on having a homebirth one day without it being frowned upon by my community), montessori schools, smoke-free environments, Ikea, Trader Joes, Costco, parks, jogging/walking trails & paths (I'm thinking strollers) outdoor cafe's, young family-friendly- kid gyms, mom support groups, etc.., being near an airport, nice, safe neighborhoods (we tend to try to live in nicer areas if we can swing it) Junior League, VERY pet friendly, good natural pet stores, decent shopping, SUNSHINE!

Things I dont like: Racism, ignorance, smoking, mean republicans, mean democrats, frigid tempertaures, having my mother in law too close!

Is it hard to make friends? We would know NO ONE there. I imagine I would make friends through my children, etc.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 8,043,012 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Hi All, my new husband and I are considering a move to start our new life together and I randomly have chosen North Carolina as one of our prospective areas. We love Seattle, but the weather is very difficult for me (I am not a native) Here is a list of things we are interested in and maybe someone out there can offer a match. We love being near a bigger city and all it has to offer. We are interestewd in North Carollina because it has access to water (my husband grew up on an Island in Seattle) mountains, etc.. I think flatlands would be too hard on my hubbs.

Things I like: Natural health Clinics (i plan on having a homebirth one day without it being frowned upon by my community), montessori schools, smoke-free environments, Ikea, Trader Joes, Costco, parks, jogging/walking trails & paths (I'm thinking strollers) outdoor cafe's, young family-friendly- kid gyms, mom support groups, etc.., being near an airport, nice, safe neighborhoods (we tend to try to live in nicer areas if we can swing it) Junior League, VERY pet friendly, good natural pet stores, decent shopping, SUNSHINE!

Things I dont like: Racism, ignorance, smoking, mean republicans, mean democrats, frigid tempertaures, having my mother in law too close!

Is it hard to make friends? We would know NO ONE there. I imagine I would make friends through my children, etc.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Charlotte!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
38 posts, read 93,891 times
Reputation: 26
Easy as that, huh!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 8,043,012 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Easy as that, huh!?
It is!

Charlotte has about 750,000 people in the city and about 2.2 million in the 12 county metro area. The closest you will find to Seattle in the 2 Carolinas.

We have Light Rail (only city in NC), Great shopping, a major International Airport, Professional Sports, under 2hrs from 6,000 ft mountains, 3 large lakes in the metro area, US Whitewater National Center, Carowinds Amusement Park, a thriving Uptown (you will see by the cranes and high rises going up), and the list goes on and on.

You should visit Charlotte and you will see why so many people have moved here. More than any city in NC. 65% of the residents are transplants and YES...Charlotte is BLUE...not red.

Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
38 posts, read 93,891 times
Reputation: 26
Thank you so much! You must love living there, I can sense your enthusiasm... I wonder how many other folks from Seattle have found themselves there....

All the best!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 8,043,012 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Thank you so much! You must love living there, I can sense your enthusiasm... I wonder how many other folks from Seattle have found themselves there....

All the best!
Not sure about Seattlites (sp?)...but alot of Californians have moved to Charlotte.

And I have been to Seattle many times & Vancouver.

You might want to check out Raleigh too. It is smaller and further from the mountains (3 1/2 - 4 hrs)...but it is a nice smaller city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,401,525 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Easy as that, huh!?
It's really your only choice based on your criteria - but even then it won't be QUITE what you are looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
38 posts, read 93,891 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Not sure about Seattlites (sp?)...but alot of Californians have moved to Charlotte.

And I have been to Seattle many times & Vancouver.

You might want to check out Raleigh too. It is smaller and further from the mountains (3 1/2 - 4 hrs)...but it is a nice smaller city.

Yeah well, "Seattlites" and Calirfornians have a similar culture.. so if the Californians are heading to Charlotte that might be our best fit.. Being a Native Californian too, I just hope the best we are well represented as laid back, easy going folks rather than cocky, arrogant stinkers.

We love Seattle, but the constant cloud cover really makes me feel hopeless ans depressed and I am ready for us to blaze our own trail somewhere new- for a little while at least. My husband works in sales in the tech industry in Seattle...does Charlotte have a good tech space? How close is the nearest classy beach?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 8,043,012 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Yeah well, "Seattlites" and Calirfornians have a similar culture.. so if the Californians are heading to Charlotte that might be our best fit.. Being a Native Californian too, I just hope the best we are well represented as laid back, easy going folks rather than cocky, arrogant stinkers.

We love Seattle, but the constant cloud cover really makes me feel hopeless ans depressed and I am ready for us to blaze our own trail somewhere new- for a little while at least. My husband works in sales in the tech industry in Seattle...does Charlotte have a good tech space? How close is the nearest classy beach?

Thanks!
The closest classy beaches are about 4 hrs...I would suggest either Hilton Head Island, SC (beside Savannah, GA) or Kiawah Island, SC (beside Charleston, SC).

Our closest beaches are in SC. I would not suggest Myrtle Beach as far as classy goes. You might also want to check out Wrightsville Beach, NC (beside Wilmington, NC).

All 3 beaches are right beside 3 very beautiful historic cities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,246 posts, read 94,401,525 times
Reputation: 40085
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Yeah well, "Seattlites" and Calirfornians have a similar culture.. so if the Californians are heading to Charlotte that might be our best fit.. Being a Native Californian too, I just hope the best we are well represented as laid back, easy going folks rather than cocky, arrogant stinkers.

We love Seattle, but the constant cloud cover really makes me feel hopeless ans depressed and I am ready for us to blaze our own trail somewhere new- for a little while at least. My husband works in sales in the tech industry in Seattle...does Charlotte have a good tech space? How close is the nearest classy beach?

Thanks!

Okay, you have to define that one for me - what the heck is a "classy beach"???

You would love our weather compared to Seattle - they don't call them "Carolina Blue Skies" for nothing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top