Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM

599 posts, read 401,891 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone my name is Zach Harris and I am a nineteen year old resident of Union County, North Carolina and I am writing this thread to inform everyone on my bill that would legalize the sale, use and possession of consumer fireworks in North Carolina. I started working on this bill back in 2013 when I was sixteen years of age and now as of 2015 I am proud to say that my bill has finally introduced in the North Carolina General Assembly in March of this year. I am a licensed pyrotechnician and I can reaffirm everyone that I have had training in the use of professional and consumer fireworks.

Here is some information about consumer fireworks and my bill.

What are consumer fireworks? Are fireworks sold to the general public for use. They are generally weaker in explosive power compared to professional displays. A typical example of consumer fireworks - rockets, artillery shells, smoke balls, sparklers and others.

Consumer fireworks are allowed to be sold in most U.S. including the neighboring states of South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and Tennessee.

Currently North Carolina permits citizens to use fireworks that are known as Safe & Sane in which do not explode, spin or become airborne yet many states define fireworks each as they see fits my bill creates a more constructive explanation of what is legal and what is not.

The types of consumer fireworks that will become legal under this bill are those that are approved and regulated by the Consumer Prouduct Safety Commission (CPSC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), American Pyrotechnic Association and the American Firework Standards Laboratory (ASFl).

Information About My Bill

Permits the sale, use and possession of consumer fireworks

Raises the age of purchase of consumer fireworks in North Carolina from sixteen years of age to eighteen and requires that a photo ID be shown at the time of purchase.

Permits retailers to sale consumer fireworks in brick and mortar buildings.

Allows the State Fire Marshal to prohibit the use of consumer fireworks due to a drought or a high fire danger.

Unlike in South Carolina and Georgia my bill allows cities and towns to prohibit the use of consumer fireworks.

Continues the federal ban on M-80's Cherry Bombs and Quarter Sticks in which are not fireworks but instead have been classified as illegal explosives since 1966.

Here is my Facebook page.
https://m.facebook.com/Legalize-Cons...0163751037327/

Here is my bill.
North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 367 Information/History (2015-2016 Session)

All in all I strongly believe that this piece of legislation can and will work. I do welcome discussion even from those who don't agree with me. I know some on here will probably think we'll he's just a teenager,well everyone I'm not like most teens. If anyone has any questions on fireworks please ask!

Have a safe and happy New Year and if you do plan on using fireworks make sure you do so safely!!

Sincerely, Zach Harris

Last edited by PyroZach; 12-30-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina