Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 34,741 times

Advertisements

Every year my wife and I retreat to the mountains to get away from the rat race here in south florida. Sometimes twice a year. We seem to take the same vacation every year to the same spots in North Carolina. Pretty much know it like the back of our hands as I have been going since I was a kid. The first leg of our next trip will be spent in NC but we would like to venture to other northern neighboring states such as Virgina or Tennesee still keeping with the mountains, scenic drives, charming small towns and nature type surroundings. Can anyone recommend some areas in these other states that are centrallly located in the mountians for a variety of daytrips and things to do. We usually book a cabin for a week and we love some seclusion but Im trying to avoid making the mistake of choosing a place thats just a bit too far from anywhere. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,559,932 times
Abington, Va. is a pretty little town not to far from the High Country in N.C. The Appalachian Trail goes through there and you can bike ride along the river there. Check it out.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM

672 posts, read 2,106,092 times
My mom and I spent a week in Blue Ridge, GA. We had fun enjoying the town of Blue Ridge. There was also a train that ran to other nearby towns. Tubing on the river, etc.

This year we are headed to Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Their Visitor Guide website has great information about what to do and where to eat etc

Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
We go to the beach, but certainly not any in Florida, but the Outer Banks.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,507,100 times
It would be good to know where you usually go. Have you seen the outdoor dramas of Horn in the West at Boone and Unto these Hills in Cherokee.

I like the area around Glendale Springs and Doughton Park because I grew up in that area. We had a lot of Florida visitors who ended up at our church on Sunday. This area is not as commercial as a lot of other places. You might want to follow the New River which flows North. It goes over into Charleston, West Virginia.

Do you fish, hunt? Need more information to be able to help you. Names and ages of those traveling?

We can get to everything I told you about in one day. We have a timeshare that has locations in Sapphire Valley and Lake Lure.

It would take some planning, but I someday want to travel the entire parkway and maybe the Skyline Drive in about a two week period. I want to stay mostly on the parkway and have reservations for the trip. That is what would be the difficult part of what I want to do because some places like the hotel near the Wildcat Rock and Peaks of Otter have reservations as far as one year ahead. There are many books that give information on side trips from the parkway.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 AM

201 posts, read 591,804 times
It depends on which area of NC mountains you go--long mountain ridge with "several" hours drive from tip to tip. If close to north west end--what about Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN area? Still in the mountains-cabins to rent-lots of stuff to do.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,338,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound95 View Post
Every year my wife and I retreat to the mountains to get away from the rat race here in south florida. Sometimes twice a year. We seem to take the same vacation every year to the same spots in North Carolina. Pretty much know it like the back of our hands as I have been going since I was a kid. The first leg of our next trip will be spent in NC but we would like to venture to other northern neighboring states such as Virgina or Tennesee still keeping with the mountains, scenic drives, charming small towns and nature type surroundings. Can anyone recommend some areas in these other states that are centrallly located in the mountians for a variety of daytrips and things to do. We usually book a cabin for a week and we love some seclusion but Im trying to avoid making the mistake of choosing a place thats just a bit too far from anywhere. Thanks
I'd like to suggest you consider a whole new mountain destination - you should try renting a place along the Blue Ridge Parkway from Sparta, NC to Fancy Gap, VA. This is a beautiful section of the Parkway and not touristy at all. From there you would have much to do and see - in particular I'd recommend day trips to Grayson Highlands, Damascus (where you HAVE to bike the Virginia Creeper trail!!!), Abingdon, Jefferson etc. Just look at the map, from Fancy Gap to Abington there is much beauty to be found

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

444 posts, read 1,139,728 times
Bervard is sooo beautiful. There are caves and waterfalls. Just thought I would throw that out there. Staying in the mountians is best in the late summer, eary fall. (again, my oppinion throwing it out there). I might be giving myself away but, I stay in Wilksburough whenever there is a trip to the mountians, right on a lake ^_^

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,357,278 times
I have a fantastic suggestion as i just got back from NC. I'm from Ft. Lauderdale too, so i know waht you mean about getting away from it all. We drove to Ashville and then NW to Robbinsville. Route 129 and US 28 was the most magnificent drive i've ever taken. Twisties and turns, and waterfalls, looking over Fontana Dam. It goes from Robbinsville, NC into Gatlinburg TN. There were lots of campsites all along both routes. Some fantastic photo opportunities and blissful beauty!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 PM

451 posts, read 1,559,932 times
Default Great Vacation

One of the best vacations my kids and I took when they were younger was at the Nantahala Village. This is Nantahala Outdoor Center near Bryson City. You can go rafting down different rivers. The older kids also went down the Ocoee River which is about 2 hrs. away. We also took the Great Smoky Mountain Train ride and went horseback riding. We took a day trip to the Great Smokies and saw the Fontana Dam. There is the Fontana Village near the dam. Go into the webb site for Nantahala Outdoor Center. It has been featured on Good Morning America, The New York Times and other places as a great place to go. I think the App Trail runs in the area also. Be sure to let us know what you decide to do. Have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina