Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

I always felt the Easleys were so Clintonesque. It depends on what "help" means when you say helped her get the job.

Why does it always end up like this?

I guess the school could only take so much embarrassment. Pretty soon there was not going to be anybody left working on campus.

N.C. State fires Mary Easley :: WRAL.com

"Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina State University Board of Trustees voted unanimously Monday to terminate the contract of former first lady Mary Easley."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Now, let's find out why some professors are paid $150K and reduce by at least 33%.

Students are gouged with increases to support the professors lapping cream from the public trough while public school teachers are underpaid dramatically.

If $100K isn't enough, these gougers can just leave and not let the door hit 'em where the Lord split 'em.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Now, let's find out why some professors are paid $150K and reduce by at least 33%.

Students are gouged with increases to support the professors lapping cream from the public trough while public school teachers are underpaid dramatically.

If $100K isn't enough, these gougers can just leave and not let the door hit 'em where the Lord split 'em.
Good luck finding a qualified Ph.D in Finance or Chemistry to teach for $100k. They have too many other opportunities. It's called supply and demand.

I'm glad they fired Easley. I'm so sick of politicians (on both sides) ripping taxpayers off.

ETA: If teachers are dramatically underpaid, there would be no need for a hiring freeze because it would be so hard to find teachers willing to work for the measly salary NC pays.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I always felt the Easleys were so Clintonesque.
You mean in terms of bringing peace, prosperity, budget surpluses, and one of the largest economic expansions in the post-war period?? That's quite a compliment to pay Easley, but I don't think he deserves it.

I'm glad Mrs. Easley's contract got terminated. NC State is making itself look worse and worse with this entire situation. Oblinger is next.*

*Whoops - I guess Oblinger resigned already today. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1560407.html (broken link)

Last edited by CHTransplant; 06-08-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Good luck finding a qualified Ph.D in Finance or Chemistry to teach for $100k. They have too many other opportunities. It's called supply and demand.

I'm glad they fired Easley. I'm so sick of politicians (on both sides) ripping taxpayers off.

ETA: If teachers are dramatically underpaid, there would be no need for a hiring freeze because it would be so hard to find teachers willing to work for the measly salary NC pays.
First, the finance PhD is lucky to have a job with the meltdown in banking/brokerage.

Second, teachers stay here since other areas are laying off educators.

Dump the fat cats who probably don't even teach more than one class a semester.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You mean in terms of bringing peace, prosperity, budget surpluses, and one of the largest economic expansions in the post-war period??
You mean the dot.com bubble that ended up bursting and then the buildup to the housing bubble? Thanks, but no thanks. And I was comparing something else about how the Easleys and Clintons operate, but it isn't worth my effort to enlighten people who don't want to hear the facts but would rather tow the party line no matter what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I'm so sick of politicians (on both sides) ripping taxpayers off.
Yep. I agree. I am so disgusted with all of them, that I am officially retired from voting....locally or nationally. It is pointless. It's always same story different day. How do you want to be screwed, from the left or from the right. I might as well grab my ankles, close my eyes and clutch my wallet.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,500 times
Oh but these are democrats....they are supposed to be for the people.....a new way to govern.....Change....change....change.....we promise change..."Don't stop thinking about tomorrow"....Hypocrite pigs. Go hang out with Edwards. I suppose this is Bush's fault. Slugs.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,880 times
Default Mary Easley fired

I've been somewhat following this story for a while, but after reading info on the WRAL website, I think they made the right decision.

It's been about ethics from the very beginning. It's been revealed that the former governor asked a friend to inquire about a job for her. You just can't do that. It's political pressure, put not only upon the friend, but on NC State. How could anyone say no, or an institution refuse?

Then an 88% pay increase, in a time where others were losing their jobs. If it were a merited increase, I'd have no problem. But 88% exceeds any reasonable merit. And Mrs. Easley refused to step down, causing 3 or 4 others to take the heat and resign. Still, poor judgment and few ethics.

I wish the Easleys the best, but you cannot use the power of office for personal gains.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:13 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
I liked Mike Easley back when he was state attorney general, but his reign as governor was a huge disappointment and he hid from the general public as much as possible.

Today was a big day with huge new developments, but I think this is far from being over.
I do not think this scandal will tarnish the reputation of NC State as being a good school since the top administrators were the ones that messed up and this had little to do with the school itself as a whole.

I do not like politics, and I think most politicians have a skeleton or two in their closet, but most are not as blatant with their actions as the Easley's seem to have been. I don't know how they thought what they were doing was acceptable and legit, especially being attorneys themselves.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Threads have been merged and placed in the appropriate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: