Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times

Advertisements

In today's Charlotte Oberserver:

NC residents catch a tax break-

RALEIGH - The General Assembly, often entangled in debates over cutting taxes versus spending more money, tentatively approved a state budget Wednesday that does both.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,933 times
IMHO there is little if any good news there.

As with most govenmental budget debates, it is usually a matter of cutting taxes vs. spending more money. Why not cut taxes and spend less money? Wouldn't logical wisdom dictate that if you have less money coming in you have to spend less, but then we are talking about government and logic and wisdom have little use there. Your statement above speaks for itself. You said the "spending plan cuts sales tax......", how exactly can a spending plan cut anything unless the intention is to use the surplus to fund the cuts.

If there are talks about cutting the top tax rate as well as tax credit for small business, I would expect the minimum wage increase will get voted in. They will wind up off setting each other. Minimum wage never has and never will be a good thing. It forces employers to pay too much for employees that simply arent worth it and to compensate they have to pay less to others that might be worth more.

I am not a republican but would have to agree with them that this sounds like a recipe for big failure in the future.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 111,361 times
so, what is the tax % in NC???? we are considering Amberly, Carolina Preserve. not sure we want to move away from DE tax free shopping!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Well of course they're gonna spend more....the population of this state keeps climbing up and up every single month! You simply cannot freeze spending when the population of people who need state government services (schools, roads, etc etc) keep skyrocketing up. All these new people moving here need teachers for their kids, roads built, etc. Plus other state government functions (environmental enforcement, law enforcement, and so on).

The fact they're doing that while at the same time reducing the taxes some is nothing short of remarkable. I give them credit for that. I'm just as willing to criticize government as the next guy when something goes wrong...but in this specific instance, I don't find much reason to complain.

As for the minimum wage...don't get me started. If you know ANY body who works full-time on minimum wage and can still support himself and a child and be able to pay all the bills, then I'm a Martian named Zorkon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina