Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:02 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Are you on such a tight timeline that you have to hurry? Put the idea out that this will be a way of getting to know your new home state better

Not really but my husband got on me a little because I think he was leaning towards moving to Raleigh. We love the beach and he wanted a shorter commute. I believe Raleigh is suppose to be 2 hours to the beach and I told him Charlotte was 3 hours. He was actually having trouble with the 3 hr commute. It will be ok. It depends on what kind of commute it is. We are like 5.5 hours to Vegas right now and the trip is a breeze and we are also 5.5 from California and the commute is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
We are like 5.5 hours to Vegas right now and the trip is a breeze and we are also 5.5 from California and the commute is horrible.
I'm thinking once you get past the Monroe area, the ride will smooth out and you'll make good time. I see that everyone is directing you thru Charlotte, which to us would be a nightmare of a route, but then we're shun pikers anyway. (We have an obligatory family visit back to the St. Louis area next month. Gawd, am I ever dreading those long stretches of interstate )

When we get the urge to see the Atlantic (about once every 5 years), we always go to Wilmington. It has an interesting historic area and aquarium that balances out our time at the beach. We go via a different route: 64 to Asheboro, then the Beach Route - 73/74 - to Rockingham, then 74 to Wilmington. Up to Rockingham, the route is nice; we pass thru the Uwharrie area; but after that it gets kinda boring

The more times you make the trip, the less onerous it will seem. There's really not much to distract you between Rockingham and Wilmington.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking once you get past the Monroe area, the ride will smooth out and you'll make good time. I see that everyone is directing you thru Charlotte, which to us would be a nightmare of a route, but then we're shun pikers anyway. (We have an obligatory family visit back to the St. Louis area next month. Gawd, am I ever dreading those long stretches of interstate )

When we get the urge to see the Atlantic (about once every 5 years), we always go to Wilmington. It has an interesting historic area and aquarium that balances out our time at the beach. We go via a different route: 64 to Asheboro, then the Beach Route - 73/74 - to Rockingham, then 74 to Wilmington. Up to Rockingham, the route is nice; we pass thru the Uwharrie area; but after that it gets kinda boring

The more times you make the trip, the less onerous it will seem. There's really not much to distract you between Rockingham and Wilmington.

So you prefer 64 to Asheboro? Maybe we should try that.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:29 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
So you prefer 64 to Asheboro? Maybe we should try that.

Asheboro is waaayyy northeast of Charlotte. We live in the Winston-Salem area and that's a route near to us. If you were coming from your Davidson property, you could probably take 73 to Concord (I'm not sure what the exit off 77 is), find your way thru town and head to Albemarle, then catch 24/27 and take that to 73/74 (confused yet? ). But that's going to be two-laners which, while scenic, would probably get your husband more p'd at you for the length of time it takes . Probably better to just fight the brief snarl of Charlotte traffic to make better time. It's just something that we don't do unless we really-gotta-be-someplace fast. Dh would have his hands clenched to the wheel, I'd be snarling and making obscene hand gestures at the people who play tag with other cars and stick on your bumper because you are only going 10 miles over the speed limit (even in the slow lane). I really hate interstate driving

Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Asheboro is waaayyy northeast of Charlotte. We live in the Winston-Salem area and that's a route near to us. If you were coming from your Davidson property, you could probably take 73 to Concord (I'm not sure what the exit off 77 is), find your way thru town and head to Albemarle, then catch 24/27 and take that to 73/74 (confused yet? ). But that's going to be two-laners which, while scenic, would probably get your husband more p'd at you for the length of time it takes . Probably better to just fight the brief snarl of Charlotte traffic to make better time. It's just something that we don't do unless we really-gotta-be-someplace fast. Dh would have his hands clenched to the wheel, I'd be snarling and making obscene hand gestures at the people who play tag with other cars and stick on your bumper because you are only going 10 miles over the speed limit (even in the slow lane). I really hate interstate driving

Oh ok so we would probably make better time than through Charlotte passed Monroe.

Ok well our first experience is going to be actually coming FROM Wilmington when we go on vacation next month. We will be in Wilmington for the week and then spend a day and a half in Charlotte before driving to Raleigh to fly back out to AZ. We'll see what he says about the trip then. I sure hope it's an easy trip. We like the beach alot and when we move there we would probably like to go at least 5 times a year.

At least we have Lake Norman, that kinda feels coastal. We just love being around the water. Something very peaceful and relaxing about that.
We would like to get a boat so at least we can enjoy the lake.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:09 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
try mapquest, sometimes they give a slightly different direction and it cuts down the time, i always run both.and compare...if you belong to AAA, they too will help you map out a route.
With AAA you can run a Trip Tik on thier website, just enter your AAA #.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not really but my husband got on me a little because I think he was leaning towards moving to Raleigh. We love the beach and he wanted a shorter commute. I believe Raleigh is suppose to be 2 hours to the beach and I told him Charlotte was 3 hours. He was actually having trouble with the 3 hr commute. It will be ok. It depends on what kind of commute it is. We are like 5.5 hours to Vegas right now and the trip is a breeze and we are also 5.5 from California and the commute is horrible.
Well, think of it this way. It's easier/closer to drive from Charlotte to Wilmington than AZ to CA.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Well, think of it this way. It's easier/closer to drive from Charlotte to Wilmington than AZ to CA.

Yes I have thought of it that way, it does make it easier.

You know how many times we have been to a CA beach?

I think once..........San Clemente. I really liked it. That drive is horrible though.

We've driven out to Cali several times for my sons Basketball tournaments just to Anaheim.

We've been to Vegas many many many times and that drive is not bad and it's 5.5 hrs too.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yes I have thought of it that way, it does make it easier.

You know how many times we have been to a CA beach?

I think once..........San Clemente. I really liked it. That drive is horrible though.

We've driven out to Cali several times for my sons Basketball tournaments just to Anaheim.

We've been to Vegas many many many times and that drive is not bad and it's 5.5 hrs too.
My grandparents used to take me to camp down at San Clemente, usually Easter vacation time. I believe it was a military campground and my grandpa was retired Navy.

That's usually everyone's first question when we tell them where we are moving is "Arn't you going to miss the beach"? We rarely go now. Once in a while we will cruise one of the classics down PCH. I certainly don't go to lay out, I think I had enough sun as a teenager! At least I know the ocean will be a couple hours away, it just wouln't be a spur of the moment decision to go.

Vegas isn't a bad drive, as long as you hit traffic just right. Only driven a couple times for fun, otherwise I flew out to work our tradeshow booths.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
husband is gonna kill me if it is.
If for some reason you turn up dead, you husband is in a heap of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina