Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: real estate, job market, cost of living, realtor, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 294,892 times

Advertisements

I'm going to try again... i'm going to come back down and check out some other areas, so can anyone please give me info on Sanford (Lee county) what is it like does anyone have any pictures and do you think it is a nice place to live and or Harnett county and imput on this one too? if it wasn't so far to drive to NC i would drive there and check it all out for myself but being we live so far i'm kinda hoping i can get some help from ya kind people so i kinda get a lil headstart on what i'm in for. lil over a week ago we came down and checked out some areas and we were lost we didn't have a clue where we were or what to look for so when we came back i asked for some advise and everyone was so nice and helpful with the reply's and i'm kinda hoping ya'll can help me again pleaseeeeeeeee??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 AM

123 posts, read 511,547 times
Default Try Moore!

If you're looking at Sanford, Lee County, do yourself a favor and drive @ 30 miles south on US 1 and look at Moore County. Small town living with big city amenities. Lower taxes than Lee County. better school system, a whole lot less crime, better restaurants, etc.
Stay in a hotel in Aberdeen or Southern Pines, or Pinehurst. Get your realty flyers and local newspaper (the Pilot) and take a look for yourself at the prices. Like anywhere, what you see advertised are asking prices.
I live in a 77 home developement. 3br, 2 bath, 2 car garage. Two ponds in developement with fishing and tiny boats. Prices? $130 - $300. My total taxes are @700 per year -inclusive. All lots are at least 3/4 acre.
We're 2 miles from a Lowes grocery, 4 miles from one of the best hospitals in NC, 10 miles from the Super Wal-mart, Best Buy, Starbucks, etc.

If you're interested, let me know.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Thanks Having fun can you tell me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by havin fun View Post
If you're looking at Sanford, Lee County, do yourself a favor and drive @ 30 miles south on US 1 and look at Moore County. Small town living with big city amenities. Lower taxes than Lee County. better school system, a whole lot less crime, better restaurants, etc.
Stay in a hotel in Aberdeen or Southern Pines, or Pinehurst. Get your realty flyers and local newspaper (the Pilot) and take a look for yourself at the prices. Like anywhere, what you see advertised are asking prices.
I live in a 77 home developement. 3br, 2 bath, 2 car garage. Two ponds in developement with fishing and tiny boats. Prices? $130 - $300. My total taxes are @700 per year -inclusive. All lots are at least 3/4 acre.
We're 2 miles from a Lowes grocery, 4 miles from one of the best hospitals in NC, 10 miles from the Super Wal-mart, Best Buy, Starbucks, etc.

If you're interested, let me know.
Thanks so much for the info can you tell me how long you have been there and how do you like it? how does it look for jobs? and how long of a commute is it to Raleigh? oh and can you tell me anything about the school systems i am a bus driver and i was looking to do the same thing when i move down but someone told me the bus drivers are your teachers is this true? and do you know of any landscape & Irriagation company's around that area (moore) thanks again and anything you can tell me or suggest would be great what you described is actually what we are kinda looking for but just don't want to travel an hour for work (or at least my hubby don't) thanks again

Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnefam5 View Post
Thanks so much for the info can you tell me how long you have been there and how do you like it? how does it look for jobs? and how long of a commute is it to Raleigh? oh and can you tell me anything about the school systems i am a bus driver and i was looking to do the same thing when i move down but someone told me the bus drivers are your teachers is this true? and do you know of any landscape & Irriagation company's around that area (moore) thanks again and anything you can tell me or suggest would be great what you described is actually what we are kinda looking for but just don't want to travel an hour for work (or at least my hubby don't) thanks again
My wife and I have been here since 92. We moved from Westchester County in NY. We LOVE it! Jobs? School bus drivers are always in demand. And no, I don't know of any teachers who also drive a bus.

As for irrigation and landscaping? We have 42 (yes 42) golf courses in this one county. Which means 42 pockets (at least) of upscale homes. Go to Moore County yellow pages on-line for a listing of irrigation and likely employers. All the golf courses are looking for workers. Many of the larger courses offer full benefits. Pinehurst Country Club has 8 golf courses and all have irrigation systems. That might be an avenue to explore.

Raleigh is an 1:10 minutes away. Greensboro 1:15. Beaches 2:30. Mountains 3:30.

Depending upon where you live now, the pay scales will seem lower. But, the cost of living is cheaper (probably). Our "power bill" averages $100 to $150 per month for an all electric home. Water $22 per month. Trash pick-up is $20.

School system is in the top 5 for NC.

Hope this helps, ask away, and I'll try to get you some answers.

jjc

Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Default ok here it goes....

Quote:
My wife and I have been here since 92. We moved from Westchester County in NY. We LOVE it! Jobs? School bus drivers are always in demand. And no, I don't know of any teachers who also drive a bus.

As for irrigation and landscaping? We have 42 (yes 42) golf courses in this one county. Which means 42 pockets (at least) of upscale homes. Go to Moore County yellow pages on-line for a listing of irrigation and likely employers. All the golf courses are looking for workers. Many of the larger courses offer full benefits. Pinehurst Country Club has 8 golf courses and all have irrigation systems. That might be an avenue to explore.

Raleigh is an 1:10 minutes away. Greensboro 1:15. Beaches 2:30. Mountains 3:30.

Depending upon where you live now, the pay scales will seem lower. But, the cost of living is cheaper (probably). Our "power bill" averages $100 to $150 per month for an all electric home. Water $22 per month. Trash pick-up is $20.

School system is in the top 5 for NC.

Hope this helps, ask away, and I'll try to get you some answers.

jjc
i'm asking so, but first let me say thank you again this really helps since i read your reply i have been on this computer searching away and it's looking pretty good so far. so what can you tell me of all the towns in Moore county which would you recommend? where i live right now i have access to everything like wal-mart, k-mart, target, kohl's pet stores a few food stores, fast food of all kinds and pizza and chinese i don't want to go on but this is just to tell you where we live is i guess what you would call a urban area? and we are right off a main highway which has it's bad points and good points but i dont mind if i have to drive a lil bit to get to a store but at the same time i want something close by and i'm really trying to get a feel of what it looks like is there a town or no or is it more like i discribed stores up and down the main road and you wouldnt have a picture's you could post just to show me what it looks like and the other thing is if i wanted to look at some houses who would you recomend for a realitor? oh and we are trying to keep the price of the house under 100 so you think you can help? picture would be real great though. thanks again.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
i'm asking so, but first let me say thank you again this really helps since i read your reply i have been on this computer searching away and it's looking pretty good so far. so what can you tell me of all the towns in Moore county which would you recommend? where i live right now i have access to everything like wal-mart, k-mart, target, kohl's pet stores a few food stores, fast food of all kinds and pizza and chinese i don't want to go on but this is just to tell you where we live is i guess what you would call a urban area? and we are right off a main highway which has it's bad points and good points but i dont mind if i have to drive a lil bit to get to a store but at the same time i want something close by and i'm really trying to get a feel of what it looks like is there a town or no or is it more like i discribed stores up and down the main road and you wouldnt have a picture's you could post just to show me what it looks like and the other thing is if i wanted to look at some houses who would you recomend for a realitor? oh and we are trying to keep the price of the house under 100 so you think you can help? picture would be real great though. thanks again.
There are a couple of towns:
Aberdeen-has its own elementary school - Micky D, BK, all the fast foods, Wendys, Bojangles, KFC, etc. Italian Restaurants, Chinese, Southern, Japanese, etc
A small downtown area, Post Office, small restaurants, just a real small "downtown".
Southern Pines: Own elementary school, small "boutique restaurants" and a large (4 blocks long) downtown. Tree lined, with Magnolia trees screening the RR tracks that run thru the middle of the town's main street. Ball Parks, soccer fields and a large High School. 10 theatre Multiplex.
Pinehurst- Top of the line! Snooty! But real, real pretty. Brick sidewalks, Huge longleaf pines, and magnolia trees. Patterned after a small New England town. Upscale shopping and Restaurants. $7.95 hamburgers.
We do have everything you have (and a whole lot of what other NC towns do not) Chili's, Outback, Fish Bone, Panera Bread, Appleby's, etc.

Carthage- The county seat. The actual County Building (from the 1800's) is in the middle of the road. Traffic goes around it. They have an actual "downton" but like Aberedeen, it's small and not much in it.
Cameron- @15 miles south of Sanford-11 Antique shops, 1 gas station, no stop lights and 1 policeman. Prices for homes are in your price range along with some of Carthage , Vass, and some of Southern Pines and Aberdeen.
You Can find your price range, but you're going to have to shop! Go on-line to the Pilot-real estate section. Look at some of the homes, prices, areas, etc. Pick out a realtor who has a web site and go shopping. What we did was rent for a year. We rented a 2 Br apt for a year. Got settled, and looked around. Gave us time to research before we bought. Got a real feel for the area.
We also have a Lowes Home store, Pet Smart, and are waiting to see if Target or Home Depot is going into Southern Pines outskirts.

Again, if I can answer questions - ask. I have the time, I'm retired.
JJC

Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Smile Ok i'm back again, lol

Quote:
There are a couple of towns:
Aberdeen-has its own elementary school - Micky D, BK, all the fast foods, Wendys, Bojangles, KFC, etc. Italian Restaurants, Chinese, Southern, Japanese, etc
A small downtown area, Post Office, small restaurants, just a real small "downtown".
Southern Pines: Own elementary school, small "boutique restaurants" and a large (4 blocks long) downtown. Tree lined, with Magnolia trees screening the RR tracks that run thru the middle of the town's main street. Ball Parks, soccer fields and a large High School. 10 theatre Multiplex.
Pinehurst- Top of the line! Snooty! But real, real pretty. Brick sidewalks, Huge longleaf pines, and magnolia trees. Patterned after a small New England town. Upscale shopping and Restaurants. $7.95 hamburgers.
We do have everything you have (and a whole lot of what other NC towns do not) Chili's, Outback, Fish Bone, Panera Bread, Appleby's, etc.

Carthage- The county seat. The actual County Building (from the 1800's) is in the middle of the road. Traffic goes around it. They have an actual "downton" but like Aberedeen, it's small and not much in it.
Cameron- @15 miles south of Sanford-11 Antique shops, 1 gas station, no stop lights and 1 policeman. Prices for homes are in your price range along with some of Carthage , Vass, and some of Southern Pines and Aberdeen.
You Can find your price range, but you're going to have to shop! Go on-line to the Pilot-real estate section. Look at some of the homes, prices, areas, etc. Pick out a realtor who has a web site and go shopping. What we did was rent for a year. We rented a 2 Br apt for a year. Got settled, and looked around. Gave us time to research before we bought. Got a real feel for the area.
We also have a Lowes Home store, Pet Smart, and are waiting to see if Target or Home Depot is going into Southern Pines outskirts.

Again, if I can answer questions - ask. I have the time, I'm retired.
JJC
ok i am still researching the area but i noticed that some towns are in a couple different counties, why is that? and i see the base is close by can you tell me how far from moore or lee county it is and what is it like around the base? what are houses like? why does it seem to have alot of mobile homes in the area? is the area a bad area? and is there alot of traffic around there? how do i go about finding houses there i looked online at the news paper but i really didnt get much i searched on realtor.com and pulled up a few but i don't know what else to look in, it would take me ten hours to drive there so i can't just stop by and pick up a local news paper or pick up any books so what would you suggest be the best way to really see what out there? and going back to Lee county i know you said moore would be the better place but what could you tell me about Lee county does it have the same things as moore county? i think i'm sold on moore county but i want to be able to say i checked out everything. my daughter's husband is a painter do you know of any jobs like that around the are? oh and this might sound stupid but is there water of any kind around there like river, falls, lakes?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,378 times
Default Info. on Sanford and Lee Co.

We have lived in Sanford for 20 years now, and it is overall a nice place to live. We also like Moore Co., but primarily for the towns of Southern Pines and Pinehurst and what they have to offer that Sanford doesn't in the way of the more upscale restaurants. Also the hospital there is of high quality. As far as grocery stores, there are a number spread throughout Sanford, along with many chain restaurants and local family run ones.

Sanford has 9 elementary schools, 2 middle schools (with a new 3rd one scheduled to be finished by 08) and 2 high schools, so there is opportunity for work. Our children all attended the public elementary and middle schools here, and we were very pleased especially with their elementary school. We are not as thrilled with the high school in our district, but there are private alternatives available. (We know plenty of folks who like it though...it depends on your needs).

Sanford has an established downtown with small businesses, arts, and restaurants. It is also experiencing growth from Ft.Bragg (about 45 mins south) and Raleigh/Cary spillover (about 30-45mins. north) which is creating a building boom and bringing in new stores and chain restaurants. One of the best features of Sanford is its location and convenience to other areas: Cary/Raleigh and Fayetteville as I mentioned above, along with So.Pines/Pinehurst (30 mins), and Chapel Hill (45 mins.)

The crime rate is slightly higher in Lee Co. than Moore, but I can honestly say in all our years of living here I have never been afraid or felt threatened. It has its good and not-so-good parts, like every town. There are many neighborhoods to choose from in a variety of price ranges. Try googling real estate or homes for sale lee county nc to get some idea of housing, and also go to the the leecountync.org website for more info. Hope this helps some and good luck in your search.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
ok i am still researching the area but i noticed that some towns are in a couple different counties, why is that? and i see the base is close by can you tell me how far from moore or lee county it is and what is it like around the base? what are houses like? why does it seem to have alot of mobile homes in the area? is the area a bad area? and is there alot of traffic around there? how do i go about finding houses there i looked online at the news paper but i really didnt get much i searched on realtor.com and pulled up a few but i don't know what else to look in, it would take me ten hours to drive there so i can't just stop by and pick up a local news paper or pick up any books so what would you suggest be the best way to really see what out there? and going back to Lee county i know you said moore would be the better place but what could you tell me about Lee county does it have the same things as moore county? i think i'm sold on moore county but i want to be able to say i checked out everything. my daughter's husband is a painter do you know of any jobs like that around the are? oh and this might sound stupid but is there water of any kind around there like river, falls, lakes?
1st Ft. Bragg: It's huge! And now it's getting bigger in terms of population. Other bases are being consolidated into Bragg. Developers are building several 1500-5000 home developements to meet the expected in-flow of soldiers and their families. (I think your son in-law might find some work).
2nd Trailers: Economical type of home owning. Your research should show you that there aren't too many apartment buildings and almost no 2 family homes. Bottom line: they're cheap to own and cheaper to rent.
3rd Multi-County towns: Cameron for example: A town of 200 some odd people-but it's Post Office services a huge geographical area including parts of Lee County and Cumberland County for delivery purposes. It will provide delivery for most of the developements on the West side of Ft. Bragg (Cumberland County).
4th Water: Crystal Lake in Lakeview, Southern Pines Reservoir, and Aberdeen Reservoir are what we have. Limited boating and good fishing. Reservoirs prohibit motorized craft and Crystal Lake limits the size of engines. I believe to "trolling". The Uwharrie State Park is in neighboring Montgomery County.
5th More info: If you can figure out a safe way for me to send you information (copies of Real Estate booklets, the Pilot's real estate section, and other Moore County "propoganda") I'd be happy to. I'm a dinosaur on this computer, don't know how to do "messaging", instant messaging, Buddying or any of that stuff. So I'm not sure how to communicate in a secure manner with you. So, if you can figure something out, I'd be happy to send your the materials
jjc

Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Talking yes it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
We have lived in Sanford for 20 years now, and it is overall a nice place to live. We also like Moore Co., but primarily for the towns of Southern Pines and Pinehurst and what they have to offer that Sanford doesn't in the way of the more upscale restaurants. Also the hospital there is of high quality. As far as grocery stores, there are a number spread throughout Sanford, along with many chain restaurants and local family run ones.

Sanford has 9 elementary schools, 2 middle schools (with a new 3rd one scheduled to be finished by 08) and 2 high schools, so there is opportunity for work. Our children all attended the public elementary and middle schools here, and we were very pleased especially with their elementary school. We are not as thrilled with the high school in our district, but there are private alternatives available. (We know plenty of folks who like it though...it depends on your needs).

Sanford has an established downtown with small businesses, arts, and restaurants. It is also experiencing growth from Ft.Bragg (about 45 mins south) and Raleigh/Cary spillover (about 30-45mins. north) which is creating a building boom and bringing in new stores and chain restaurants. One of the best features of Sanford is its location and convenience to other areas: Cary/Raleigh and Fayetteville as I mentioned above, along with So.Pines/Pinehurst (30 mins), and Chapel Hill (45 mins.)

The crime rate is slightly higher in Lee Co. than Moore, but I can honestly say in all our years of living here I have never been afraid or felt threatened. It has its good and not-so-good parts, like every town. There are many neighborhoods to choose from in a variety of price ranges. Try googling real estate or homes for sale lee county nc to get some idea of housing, and also go to the the leecountync.org website for more info. Hope this helps some and good luck in your search.
MariGirl thank you yes the info you gave really helped... I am excited to be coming back down for a second visit to NC only this time i think i will be pleased what we find, going by the info i have been getting about the area's. my first trip down was more like a flop, because i really didn't like what we were seeing don't get me wrong it was nice just being there but the area wasn't what i was looking for, so now that i think about it my trip wasn't a complete flop after all because, we found what might be, what we call home (hopefully) If you have anything else you would like to share, that would be great. thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina