U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 16,943 times

Advertisements

Ok I am so confused . People give me different views about moving to NC? We are from Florida and some people say NC is the place to be . Some say its terrible there. THat there is no work and that the natives dont welcome new commers. Is this true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,759,843 times
I will tell you to not let this board or any fourm make the decision for you. You need to visit and research but the only person that can make the decision for you, is you...I do not mean this in a bad way, you will here opinions both pro/con, it is up to you to decide what to do with the information you get...Best of luck!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:15 AM

693 posts, read 2,648,606 times
Don't think so much in "NC" terms. It's a large state with a wide range of different places. Coastal, Montains, Urban, Suburban, Rural, etc. Some (a lot) of comments you see in this forum are only related to a specific region and are completely inexistent somewhere else in the state. But people tend to make it sound like it applies to the entire NC, NY, FL or whatever state being discussed.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Don't think so much in "NC" terms. It's a large state with a wide range of different places. Coastal, Montains, Urban, Suburban, Rural, etc. Some (a lot) of comments you see in this forum are only related to a specific region and are completely inexistent somewhere else in the state. But people tend to make it sound like it applies to the entire NC, NY, FL or whatever state being discussed.

GOOD POINT!

lalalalala (just need to add more words)

Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy123
Ok I am so confused . People give me different views about moving to NC? We are from Florida and some people say NC is the place to be . Some say its terrible there. THat there is no work and that the natives dont welcome new commers. Is this true?
okay now I am confused...if people have already given you different views about moving to NC....do you think adding more viewpoints from this fourm is going to help clear or ease your mind? My suggestion would be...do your research, maybe that would include....checking schools stats, crime, etc. Oh...by the way...here is just some of the things I have heard about Florida.....you can't get a table at any of the restaurants between the hours of 4 and 6pm?...I have also heard that it is nearly impossible to get hired on as a WalMart greeter in Florida?....and also I've heard that in a certain part of Florida there is a giant mouse in a park that goes around and makes everyone smile....now do you think any of this will stop me from checking out Florida...no Way!....I am going to go find out for myself....just as I think you should come out and check out the Carolina's for yourself. Good luck to you!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:31 AM

Thank you Wes02

And Wes02 is right, you need to visit in person and look at it from a resident perspective. Forget you're just visiting and try to think what would be to live there. Instead of going to the "attractions", go to Lowes* or (grasp) Walmart. Department of Motor Vehicles, City Hall (inside), etc. Think about what is going to be the lifestyle you'll have in the future, not so much the one you have now.

*side note: also needs caution before making conclusions. I got cutoff at the Lowes parking lot here in Cary by someone who took my to-be parking spot right in front of me! But I noticed the license plate was not from NC

Old 07-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Your welcome

You also need to drive around different areas to get a feel of where you want to be to limit it, as it can be very overwhelming. I think each area has something a little different but you need to find where you are most comfortable or where the best coffee shops are (this is to you grass, but only kidding, I like my coffee too!!!)

Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 AM

LOL! I have to confess, I am still going to Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks One of these days I will adventure myself into one of the local coffee shops!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 AM

You should, sometimes those little ones make the best coffee.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM

954 posts, read 4,211,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
Thank you Wes02

And Wes02 is right, you need to visit in person and look at it from a resident perspective. Forget you're just visiting and try to think what would be to live there. Instead of going to the "attractions", go to Lowes* or (grasp) Walmart. Department of Motor Vehicles, City Hall (inside), etc. Think about what is going to be the lifestyle you'll have in the future
This is on point. Before I left Carolina to come to NYC, my wife and I visited once a year for 5 years. We tried to travel like a New Yorker would. Go to areas that tourists hardly ever frequent. We talked to numerous locals, both native and transplants. I think by the time we made the move, we were about as well informed as you can be. Word of caution. I bought a house once in an area about nine months after moving. If I had waited another year, I would not have done so and avoided being trapped for quite a while.

PS-Two things my wife and I actually miss about Caroline. Sweet Tea and Walmart. Hard to believe. When we go back for a visit the first thing we do Is find a Bojangles for tea and then make a bee line for Walmart for deals - Yea WallyWorld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina