U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 01:03 PM

26 posts, read 109,006 times

Advertisements

How far is Ayden from Kinston? (in minutes and miles)
What is it like living in Ayden?
How far is Ayden from the greenville or Winterville.
How far is greenville and/or winterville from Kinston in minutes and miles)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 06:56 PM

787 posts, read 3,441,827 times
According to MSN maps and directions:

From Ayden to Kinston is 19.1 miles which should take app. 26 minutes
From Greenville to Kinston is 28.1 miles which should take app. 38 minutes
From Greenville to Winterville is 6.2 miles which should take app. 9 minutes
From Winterville to Kinston is 22.2 miles which should take app. 29 minutes

I don't live in Ayden but Snow Hill which is about 14 miles from Ayden. I would imagine that living in Ayden is somewhat like Snow Hill, quiet, laid back and have the small town feel to it like a lot of other smaller towns that dot the eastern part of the state.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,562,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1
What is it like living in Ayden?
sassy1 provided the times and distances so I don't need to go over that again.

Ayden is pretty much like sassy1 said, quiet and laid back.

The property taxes are a bit much for my tastes but it's still not too bad. The city tax is somewhere around 50 cents per thousand and then you also have to pay the county tax at 70 cents per thousand for a total of $1.20.

Ayden is not without it's issues though just like anyplace else. One of the things that bothers me is the main road through town is also a rural highway. The main road (NC 102) is 2 lane through downtown and a residential district with speed limits of 35 and 20. That's not the problem. The problem is every tractor trailer that's heading for New Bern and points south like to use NC 102 as a shortcut to get to NC 43 which leads to those places. At all hours of the day and night there are trucks rumbling through town and it really does disturb the otherwise peaceful setting. This has not gone unnoticed by the town council and right now they're trying to come up with a way to get some of those trucks off of that road. NC DOT is in the planning phase of a bypass around Ayden but that is a north/south attempt to fix a east/west problem and I don't know that that's going to help much.

If you're looking to buy in this area of NC you may want to check and make sure that the property you're looking at isn't going to be in the path or near the new bypass. Don't rely on a real estate agent to inform you of this new road. When I was looking at houses last year we looked at one that would have been very close, much too close, to the new 4 lane divided highway and the real estate agent never said a word about the highway. He was only interested in selling the house.

Ayden is in the early stage of what may be a growth spurt. There are several new subdivisions in the planning stages and a new company is heading to town and will provide about 150 jobs.

Ayden is also very busy trying to get their downtown in order. It's not that it's drug infested or anything like that but they do have some empty buildings and an old gas station right at the main intersection that they'd like to get rid of.

Ayden does have some beautiful old homes in town. Not all of them are in great shape but the town is trying to secure funding to try and get some maintenance done on them.

For an Eastern NC town Ayden is pretty aggresive towards those who would rather just remain the typical old poor town. An example would be their junk car ordinance. You are only allowed one untagged car that must be covered at all times on a concrete pad or behind a screen of some sort. They do aggresively enforce rules about junk like this one. I've been in other towns and it is just sad the way some people live. You don't see that in Ayden.

Ayden does have a pretty good community spirit. On several Saturday nights a year they have a "town night out" type of deal where people gather at the old train stop. There is a small stage there with local entertainment and the locals bring out their local crafts and sell them. There are lots of children there and everybody has a good time and dance right in the street (closed off of course). A couple of times a year they have a parade and if you've never seen a southern small town parade before you're in for a treat. I recommend you pack a lunch because it's going to take a while.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

RM

Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 AM

26 posts, read 109,006 times
Thank you both,
The information that was given was most helpful. I should be hearing something very soon about the job. And I know things will move rather quickly from there. I will be coming out there during the memorial day weekend. What would you say should be my points of interest there.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy1 View Post
Thank you both,
The information that was given was most helpful. I should be hearing something very soon about the job. And I know things will move rather quickly from there. I will be coming out there during the memorial day weekend. What would you say should be my points of interest there.
You'll have to be a little more specific in your question please. Are you looking for touristy type of stuff or what?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
how far is ayden from greensboro

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenhardy95 View Post
how far is ayden from greensboro
About 170 miles. It's about a 3 hour drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina