Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 PM

362 posts, read 995,265 times

Advertisements

My daughter is interested in UNC Chapel Hill and Elon and we will be visiting in 2 weeks. Two other schools have just been suggested to her UNC Wilmington and Eastern Carolina Anyone have any first hand info to share? Any alumnii out there? Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
My daughter is interested in UNC Chapel Hill and Elon and we will be visiting in 2 weeks. Two other schools have just been suggested to her UNC Wilmington and Eastern Carolina Anyone have any first hand info to share? Any alumnii out there? Anything at all would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Depends what she's interested in and what her grades and SATs are - out of state tuition is very expensive. UNC-Wilmington and East Carolina University are fine institutions - I have experience with both. I would suggest that your daughter go to the websites and check out when "open house" is or contact the admissions office to set up a personalized tour. FYI - finals and graduation are coming very soon. In my experience, your daughter needs to make this contact. Hope she finds what she's looking for.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Depends what she's interested in and what her grades and SATs are - out of state tuition is very expensive. UNC-Wilmington and East Carolina University are fine institutions - I have experience with both. I would suggest that your daughter go to the websites and check out when "open house" is or contact the admissions office to set up a personalized tour. FYI - finals and graduation are coming very soon. In my experience, your daughter needs to make this contact. Hope she finds what she's looking for.
Thanks MM we have looked on the websites and are thinking of adding them to our list of schools to see in 2 weeks. She is an A-/B+ student. GPA of 3.6 I think. Not sure what she wants to major in yet. I just thought if anyone had some insight to the schools before we went it would be nice. Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:45 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
It will depend on her major to really know what to recommend like vet school would be NC State , Med school Duke ,Dentistry Unc chapel hill. There is also western carolina univ Wake forest, uncg at greensboro, Campell univ.
and App. Lots to choose from all top notch.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:45 PM

141 posts, read 675,277 times
Quote:
Thanks MM we have looked on the websites and are thinking of adding them to our list of schools to see in 2 weeks. She is an A-/B+ student. GPA of 3.6 I think. Not sure what she wants to major in yet. I just thought if anyone had some insight to the schools before we went it would be nice. Thanks again.
In my opinion, I think UNC-Chapel Hill is one of the best schools in North Carolina (and this comes from a Duke student). It all depends on her intended major, but UNC-CH has many world-class departments. Also, Chapel Hill is a great area, and has a great college town feel. I have no first-hand experience with the other schools you mentioned, but UNC-CH would be my first choice. If she wants liberal arts education, she might also want to check out Davidson College near Charlotte.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Almost forgot Peace in downtown Raleigh its a womans colledge

Old 04-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Thank you all for your input. Right now we are looking at a liberal arts school until she finds her niche. She knows more what she doesn't want to do, teach, medical field. Her chance of getting into Chapel Hill are slim, I know they only take 18% out of state and don't think her GPA is high enough. We have done alot of research so far. Just thought if some one had some first hand info on UNC Wilmington and Eastern Carolina it would be helpful.. Again thanks to all.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:52 AM

96 posts, read 374,216 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Right now we are looking at a liberal arts school until she finds her niche. She knows more what she doesn't want to do, teach, medical field. Her chance of getting into Chapel Hill are slim, I know they only take 18% out of state and don't think her GPA is high enough. We have done alot of research so far. Just thought if some one had some first hand info on UNC Wilmington and Eastern Carolina it would be helpful.. Again thanks to all.
Hi Barbara,

Here's a website I came across rating all colleges and universities in North Carolina by popularity. It also give you info such as majors, degrees etc. offered.

Good Luck! If I come across any other info I will let you know.

oops! Forgot the website: http://www.4icu.org/us/North-Carolina.htm

Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 AM

161 posts, read 683,263 times
We relocated a year ago and my son will be attending NC State next year. He had an awesome GPA and SAT score but didn't even apply to Chapel Hill because it is so challenging to get in. In Raleigh, you could be one of the top student in your HS and not make it. They have so many applicants and must sort them out by area and region along with tough academic requirements. NC State is also a 1st tier school. He was also accepted to Elon and I was told from a very qualified tutor/educator that this University is a real up and coming place. Beautiful campus and a nice safe enviornment for your children. We are considering both Universities. It is just a question of dorm issues; we live in Raleigh and he can live home if he wants.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:09 AM

96 posts, read 374,216 times
Barbara,

Here's another site: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...as_s_brief.php

America's best colleges 2007 which includes North Carolina colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina