Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville is not a god-awful place to live. There are plenty of activities to keep families busy in town. The only people who say it's boring are ones who have no lives and don't look for cultural things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I won't say greatest. But not the worst. Anybody who says there is "nothing to do" must be pretty boring or have no hobbies.

I wish I had more free time to get involved in groups like, American Legion, Cross Creek Rifle and Pistol club, Cape Fear Car and Truck Club, Fayetteville Light Infantry, Cumberland County Wildlife Club, Veteran's Of Foreign Wars, Indoor Archery league at Gander Mountain. These are just some of the organizations I don't have time for anymore.

I am VP of the Rockfish Bowhunters Archery Club and Member of 82nd Airborne Division War Memorial Museum's Living History Detachment. With two small kids I don't have time for anything else.

I guess I could sit in my room and play video games and complain.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,554 times
im feeling the same way, can someone help me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycp View Post
I am moving to Fayetteville for a job at a hospital. After reading all the horrible things people had to say about Fayetteville, it's safe to say I'm terrified. I'm a 24 year-old female and not at all interested in being near crime, but would like to be close to work. I know every town has "good" and "bad" areas so I was wondering which areas are safest for me to rent an apartment and which to avoid. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2015, 03:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadieeb View Post
im feeling the same way, can someone help me!!
You can't always trust what you read online...Fayetteville is just like any other city, with good and bad areas. People who talk like it's all terrible are just repeating what they've heard. Check it out for yourself before you make any concrete decisions.

I've only been there once and it didn't seem all that bad to me. It has a nice historic downtown and some nicer residential areas. You'll find something good there if you want to.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I grew up in Fayetteville and I would not recommend the city to anyone considering to move there.

I have been to Denton TX and I think that city is a lot better than dumpy-a** FAY。

Faabala is painting this picture like FAY is the greatest place to live. It's not. There is nothing to do in FAY.
Agreed, then again she is a real estate agent so her job is to put lipstick on a pig basically.

I lived in Fayettevile for 2.5 years - the longest 2.5 years of my life. It was such a huge mistake to move there and I sometimes go back but only to visit my ex girlfriend. It's an awful place to live OP. It's dirty, seedy, overgrown, rundown and crowded. Fayettevile, the 6th largest city in NC, has more strip clubs than Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro... tons of pawn shops, head shops, tattoo parlors, military boot / haircut / uniform shops. People drive like idiots just for the sake of it. It is very dangerous.

But I guess it depends on where you live. If you're living in a gated apartment community or somewhere with a strong neighborhood watch/ HOA and are making good money, you can definitely happily plug your ears close your eyes and ignore the amount of BS that goes on in the rest of the city. If you live in a regular neighborhood, get a good alarm system, get a gun or a few big dogs, keep doors and windows locked.

The real estate agent is going to try to tell you my experiences here in Fayettevile are wrong or something silly, but I'll just let you know I saw 3 dead bodies while living in Fay (admittedly 2 were on Bragg Blvd at 2AM), and heard countless gunshots. :/ My neighborhood wasn't too too bad, only 2 homicides in the whole neighborhood and only about 5 break ins on my street in the 2.5 years I was there.

Fayettevile may be trying to move forward, but the ghetto people who live there won't let it. You will hear residents calling it Fayettenam, Fayettevile, Fayettehelle, etc. Don't expect to be able to go to the downtown library without seeing bums stabbing each other or begging you for money, or without hearing a ghetto 22 year old "mom" with 4 kids shouting at them to "shut the f*** up!!"

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
LH, I'm glad you got out. You seemed very unhappy there and in a bad situation.

kadieeb, I grew up in Fayetteville and my folks lived there for 50+ years. I still have friends and relatives there. I never saw any dead bodies and don't know anyone who has. My parents' house did get broken into a few times, but nobody was home and nobody was hurt.

I don't want to live there any more, but like I said I do still have friends who live there. They have good, high demand skills in healthcare, college educated—they could easily find jobs in another part of the state, but they like Fayetteville. You might too. It's not for me, but some folks like it.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Agreed, then again she is a real estate agent so her job is to put lipstick on a pig basically.

I lived in Fayettevile for 2.5 years - the longest 2.5 years of my life. It was such a huge mistake to move there and I sometimes go back but only to visit my ex girlfriend. It's an awful place to live OP. It's dirty, seedy, overgrown, rundown and crowded. Fayettevile, the 6th largest city in NC, has more strip clubs than Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro... tons of pawn shops, head shops, tattoo parlors, military boot / haircut / uniform shops. People drive like idiots just for the sake of it. It is very dangerous.

But I guess it depends on where you live. If you're living in a gated apartment community or somewhere with a strong neighborhood watch/ HOA and are making good money, you can definitely happily plug your ears close your eyes and ignore the amount of BS that goes on in the rest of the city. If you live in a regular neighborhood, get a good alarm system, get a gun or a few big dogs, keep doors and windows locked.

The real estate agent is going to try to tell you my experiences here in Fayettevile are wrong or something silly, but I'll just let you know I saw 3 dead bodies while living in Fay (admittedly 2 were on Bragg Blvd at 2AM), and heard countless gunshots. :/ My neighborhood wasn't too too bad, only 2 homicides in the whole neighborhood and only about 5 break ins on my street in the 2.5 years I was there.

Fayettevile may be trying to move forward, but the ghetto people who live there won't let it. You will hear residents calling it Fayettenam, Fayettevile, Fayettehelle, etc. Don't expect to be able to go to the downtown library without seeing bums stabbing each other or begging you for money, or without hearing a ghetto 22 year old "mom" with 4 kids shouting at them to "shut the f*** up!!"
The irony is, some people say much the same about Durham.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Well, I will say, being very familiar with both Fayetteville and Durham, that Durham has a whole lot more good stuff going on. You can find crime in Durham, sure, and that part maybe is on par with Fayetteville — I don't know, I've never looked up the stats. Durham and Fayetteville both have HBCUs, but that's about the extent of the similarities. Fayetteville has Methodist University (maybe on a par with Barton College in Wilson) and Durham has Duke. Durham's just got a whole lot more of the good stuff. But there is some fine/okay stuff going on in Fayetteville, too. There are nice neighborhoods and good people. It's not all crime and dead bodies, but if you want to see a show like "Wicked" or Taylor Swift you're gonna have to come to Durham or Raleigh. The DPAC in Durham gets some amazing shows.

Fayetteville is now very much a military town and really embraces that in all the positive ways that you can — lots of military discounts and big American flags, and a focus on the career military and family and spouses. The Airborne Museum downtown is really well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina