Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Another car question here:

I have an out of state relative looking to get rid of their old car and I need something to replace my clunker. For reasons too complicated to explain here my relative refuses to accept any money from me for it. If they just give me the car and I drive back to Raleigh with it, what will I need from them to transfer the title and registration into my name? Is some sort of receipt or bill of sale needed? How do I get around that if I did not pay for the car?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
All you need is the title for the car (notarized if the title requires it) and bring it to DMV to register. No bill of sale is needed, just the signed title. Pretty simple.

When you go to register it you will need proof of insurance (you can normally just show them your old insurance and tell them it was added to that policy) and you will need money to pay for the taxes/tags.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
All you need is the title for the car (notarized if the title requires it) and bring it to DMV to register. No bill of sale is needed, just the signed title. Pretty simple.

When you go to register it you will need proof of insurance (you can normally just show them your old insurance and tell them it was added to that policy) and you will need money to pay for the taxes/tags.
You will pay a tax based on the car's value (HUT).

You can call DMV in advance to see what the tax will cost you.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM

85 posts, read 379,424 times
North Carolina Title Transfers - DMV Titling & Registration Information Online - DMV.ORG

Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Thanks everyone. I went to the DMV location on Wake Forest Road in N. Raleigh (Near the future Trader Joe's) and was in and out in a jiffy with my new car registration and title. I think they charged me $15 for the registration, $40 dollars for the new title (comes in the mail) and $70 some odd dollars for the vehicle tax. I transfered my old plates to my new car so I guess that saved me a few bucks. I have always had good experiences at this DMV location.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Don't fret over transferring plates - in NC it actually costs you more to pay the plate transfer fee then to just turn in the old plates and get new ones.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 51,060 times
Hi,

I have a same case. My brother bought my car in TX ( title is in his name), I just moved from TX to NC, never bothered to transfer the title in my name. The NC DMV told me that the title needs to be in my name in order for me to register the car in NC. AND the TX DMV told me that my brother cannot transfer the title to me, since I am not a TX resident anymore.

What should I do?

Please help.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 PM

115 posts, read 276,963 times
I have a few questions about registration as this thread is similar to my situation. Long story short:

I've been a resident of NC for a few years now. Used to own a 2008 Civic. My parents bought the car from me over a year ago due to some financial troubles. So I ended up getting their car back to drive.

Now here's the current situation. My dad is giving my car back to me, but he will continue to pay on the loan for the near future. They live in TN, which is where the bank (lienholder) is as well. I'll be getting the car next week and will be signing a security agreement at the TN bank so my name will be added to the title. The bank told my dad that's what I need to do in order to legally register the car here.

I looked on the DMV website and noticed they had a section about how to register a vehicle with an out-of-state title held by a recorded lienholder:

The first item said to furnish the current out-of-state registration in your name.

The TN registration obviously wouldn't be in my name, so I'm not sure what to do on that.

I believe I have to provide forms MVR-1 and MVR-615 as well.

The only other items I can think of to have is proof of insurance and my check book for the fees. And from what I've read, I should be able to get the tags without having to get an inspection done.

Was hoping someone more knowledgeable with the process could fill in the gaps.

I'm also planning on just getting a new tag and turn in my old one, which I believe will remove the older car from DMV's records. I can also use the NC tags I have now on my '08 until I get new ones, correct?

any additional info or corrections would be much appreciated. thanks!

I know it can be a hassle at the DMV, so I wanted to make sure I had everything before going in.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taslimav View Post
Hi,

I have a same case. My brother bought my car in TX ( title is in his name), I just moved from TX to NC, never bothered to transfer the title in my name. The NC DMV told me that the title needs to be in my name in order for me to register the car in NC. AND the TX DMV told me that my brother cannot transfer the title to me, since I am not a TX resident anymore.

What should I do?

Please help.

Thanks.

Can't he just "sell" you the car and sign the title over to you? We have sold cars we brought with us from the north country here in NC and just signed the title over to a NC resident. Likewise we bought a truck from a FL resident and he signed the FL title over to us..

Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 27,417 times
Hi there, I am financing a car in CA, but my son needs transportation in TN. I was planing in allowing him taking the car with him and I will continue making the payments in CA. Does any one knows if is possible to do this? Also how would the registration thing work?poo 8 Pl What about insurance? Thank you for your feed back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina