Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:33 PM

20 posts, read 114,689 times

Advertisements

Hello.
Can you please help me with any info pertaining to living in or near Fayetteville? I have family there. I would like to be close to Fayetteville, within an hour or so is fine.
I don't want to be in a huge city, I want to live on the outskirts. I hear its beautiful there, mountains etc... and would love to be near that.
I must work for a living (bummer!) so I need to be no more than a half hour or so from a bigger city i guess to find a job (need to be near a lot of restaurants and healthcare facilities).
Don't have much money, but enough to get by on for a year possibly, so I need to be able to rent a place to live or land contract. I have no idea how to search for that, becuz first I need to know the area's (cities) that are what I'm looking for. Don't want high crime rate, or anything really scary. We are older (48 yrs old)...and prefer a calm, quieter environment.
Any info you can give me would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
The mountains are a 4 hour drive from Fayetteville. Anywhere East of Fayetteville is nice...Stedman, Eastover areas. You're within 15 minutes of town, but you're not IN town. And cheaper living, low crime, nice country folk.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
I concur with the above poster, but there's no mountains in Fayetteville.....if it's beautiful is merely one persons opinion over anothers. Most of Fayetteville is of a high crime rate, however I would think you would find the small towns outside of the city to fit you well. Besides Stedman and East Over there's also Carthage, Cameron, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, Linden....

Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
Nothing wrong with Fayetteville itself or the surrounding communities of Hope Mills, Sanford, Raeford, Eastover.

Here is a recent post I made about Fayetteville.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...etteville.html

Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
If you are looking for a nice mid-sized city with a small town feel, I would also recommend checking out Sanford. Sanford is about 20-30 minutes away and with a population of around 30k has just about everything you need, and is within 30-40 minutes of anything you may want by way of Cary/Raleigh.

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

The following site has some great maps showing Sanford's city services and relative position to other resources/locations in NC:

Live Well Centered.

We have a large population of personnel from Ft. Bragg and Polk in Sanford that are looking for a little more space, slower pace, and lower cost of living.

Good luck!
Al

Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 AM

20 posts, read 114,689 times
Default thank you

Thanks for the advice. I am still out of town, but will be back monday---and then i will write more. Can I please get more info? I like the towns you mentioned, but realistically, how hard would it be to find jobs outside of Fayetteville? I don;t want to live in a large city---but I also don't care to drive an hour or more to work. Keep in mind I will be looking for a job! Sad, I know. I will be looking for jobs in the medical field (clerical type work--this is what I've done most of my life). We are in our late 40's and don't want to live where their are mostly YOUNG people (like 20's etc....). I do think however; that to live in most smaller towns where the beauty (mountains) are, one must have money etc......and for the most part we will be coming with enough money to rent a place and pay for 1 yr or ?? in advance.....but still need to find jobs. Long story. I might mention that we are NOT criminals!! lol I just want to be closer to my family and now I am 14 hrs away! Pls help me again if you would, thanks a bunch... tina

Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Again, you won't be anywhere near the mountains--4 hour drive to see them. Fayetteville is home to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, and they have facilities all over town. If you want to be close to town, but not "in" town, Stedman is a nice little town in which to live. Have a couple of grocery stores, post office, doctor's office, a couple of little restaurants, etc...and you're 15 minutes from Fayetteville.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Fayetteville is not really a big city.

We have Cape Fear Valley Medical system. They are opening a new hospital in Hoke County near Raeford that might be what you are looking for.

We also have the VA hospital and Womack Army Medical Center on Fort Bragg.

Fayetteville is not all 20 somethings. Lots of 40's and up military retirees like myself.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
lol @ this.
fayetteville is pretty much garbage. yeah, i said it. i hate to be negative but really...raeford, sanford, etc. na. spring lake and all of that...eh.

there's nothing there. fayetteville = a spot for the military to chill until they get deployed elsewhere. its a military town, period.

the job market is GARBAGE. the mountains are on the opposite end of the state. fayetteville has a lot of young ppl and the crime rate IS high.

i'll be honest and give it to you real. most of the friends that i had in college that are still in fayetteville are not doing anything with their lives. there are no jobs. ppl feel forced to join the military as a way out. either that or they work at walmart, gas stations, in the one story mall. there is nothing to do in fayetteville.

the only pro for you is that its like an hour and 30 or less to get to raleigh.

raeford and the surrounding areas are pretty poor. sanford, too. again, there is NOTHING there.

you say you're 48. you're not 75, move elsewhere. its not even a good retirement town as the bombs from ft bragg will scare the hell out of you.

whoever told you about fayetteville being pretty and near mountains LIED. point blank.
walk "downtown" (lol @ downtown fayetteville). walk more than 5 steps before getting back in your car and i'll paypal you 5 dollars.

downtown fayetteville has more roaches at night (walking all over the ground.) than any part of NYC. no exaggeration. as a NYer, it is DISGUSTING. period. had a date there. the whole date sucked because of the amount of roaches.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:23 PM

You'll find some folks on here who feel the same as the above poster.

Some folks would complain if you hung them with a new rope.

I have found plenty of activites to enjoy in Fayetteville. I wish I had more time to get involved with more groups. It all depends on what you are interested in. The above poster being from NY must have different expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina