U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 06:04 PM

68 posts, read 273,725 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move from LI to apex/cary, and have a 4 year old with PDD-NOS and are worried about the services there. We live on Long Island and receive PLENTY of services for our son. We are worried to make the move because of the spec.ed.school situation there. We get mixed messages when it comes to this subject, can anyone tell me their experiences and what school your son/daughter went to? I'd really appreciate it my husband has a start date of June 2007!!! When we ask special ed they say they cant tell us anything until we move and have an address. I've sent my son's IEP, as they have requested, but still nothin on their end. My husband has accepted the position, but he might have to reneg unless we get a solid understanding of what my son is entitled to. Please help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,478,807 times
I did not have good luck with the Wake County school services, sorry. We ended up moving out of the area because of it. From my personal experience, unless your child is moderately to severely affected by their disability, it can be very hard to get services for your child. The school system was happy to let my child flounder so long as they didn't have to deal with her.

Just to tell you how bad it was---my child has a severe speech disability. She was exited from their speech program at age 4 even though she couldn't speak intelligibly. When she started school at age 6, I requested that she be tested again to see if she was eligible for services. Her speech at the time was SO BAD that the teachers would often ask what country my child was from. The school's reply? Not our problem. "Lots of children speak with accents".
Everyone loves the cheap taxes here, but it comes at a price. Less taxes=fewer services. If you cannot afford to pay for private therapy should the need arise, I would not move to the Wake County area. That's JMHO.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 AM

902 posts, read 3,301,478 times
We have lived in Randolph County NC for 14-1/2 yrs. My 12 yr old son has autism and I have been less than thrilled with schools. I believe you will find better services in the area you are looking, but I agree with shaylahc, the less "severe" your child is, the more you will fight for interventions.

I was fortunate in that when my son was about 4, he received CAP Medicaid (a special waiver program for children with developmental disabilities). Frankly, he has progressed more from the 1:1 through CAP than through schools.

It is my understanding, from participating in other message boards (autism related), that NY is unique regarding special education for children on the spectrum. I understand state law is very specific in services available through school for child with autism. I would think very long and hard about leaving NY if you have a choice.

We are probably moving out of state this summer; I just don't see a future in NC for my son.

Mary

Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM

68 posts, read 273,725 times
Thank you....any positives?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,372,974 times
We moved from CT to NC, but to Cumberland County (fayetteville) last summer. I was concerned that my daughter, who has sever sepcial needs would not get proper services. I have been more than happy with the services provide here, I think it must depend on the county, and, possibly, how much you know about your rights and how agressively you push. Lucky for me I did not have to push for anything. The IEP travels with your child and they must honor it for the first 30 or 60, I can't remember, school days. After that they reconvene and re-do the IEP on their paperwork. If you don't agree, don't sign it, if there's no place to sign, then have a pre-done letter saying you disagree with the IEP, leave spaces blank for you to fill in RIGHT THERE what you specifically disagree with, then the current IEP that you traveled with STILL has to be honored until there can be agreement to the new IEP.
Apex is in Wake County, but you can live in several counties surrounding Apex and still be in a good commute time to a job in Apex....Durham and Chatam look closest....(with Wake county schools in the new so much recently I don't think I'd move to wake, given a choice, Durham might be a better option!)

Joan

Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM

531 posts, read 1,904,269 times
Check out this post in the Charlotte forum...it may answer many of your questions. Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-children.html

Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,878,796 times
[quote=pjandamom;582328]We are planning a move from LI to apex/cary, and have a 4 year old with PDD-NOS and are worried about the services there. We live on Long Island and receive PLENTY of services for our son. QUOTE]

This thread caught my eye because I'm a teaching assistant specializing in autism in NY and I can fairly guarantee you won't find special ed services anywhere near the degree you have in LI. NY is known for it's inclusion/special education public schooling and please NC-ers, I'm not maligning your wonderful state. Just stating facts......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina