Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:39 PM

97 posts, read 182,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-40's and looking to relocate to the south from upstate (Syracuse) NY. I am a Certified Medical Clinical/Administrative Assistant and my husband works in residential construction. We are looking at the triangle area between Knoxville, TN/Asheville, NC/Greenville, SC. What are the prospects for rental housing, employment, etc in these areas? What areas are recommended? Looking to live close to work, shopping etc. but in a rural area, not within the cities. We have been told that many places are very conservative and frown upon Northerners moving in. We tend to be very liberal and keep to ourselves. Any useful info posters would like to input would be gratiously accepted. I look forward to hearing the various opinions out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,865 times
stay in syracuse.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
stay in syracuse.
That wasn't very friendly, where is your southern hospitality?

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-03-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
My husband and I are in our mid-40's and looking to relocate to the south from upstate (Syracuse) NY. I am a Certified Medical Clinical/Administrative Assistant and my husband works in residential construction. We are looking at the triangle area between Knoxville, TN/Asheville, NC/Greenville, SC. What are the prospects for rental housing, employment, etc in these areas? What areas are recommended? Looking to live close to work, shopping etc. but in a rural area, not within the cities. We have been told that many places are very conservative and frown upon Northerners moving in. We tend to be very liberal and keep to ourselves. Any useful info posters would like to input would be gratiously accepted. I look forward to hearing the various opinions out there.
SCmover - though jobs within the medical community are sometimes easier to find than others, just know this may be a very bad time to find any jobs at all. SC and NC unemployment numbers are very high in ALL fields of work right now. So do be sure to secure employment before you leave home okay? Especially with your husband being in construction - that's kind of a dead field right now.

However, once you find jobs I believe you'll want to look at Greenville, SC first. Asheville is very nice, but very expensive, and even before the recession most jobs are tourist industry related and don't pay a lot - remember, it's a retirement mecca. Greenville is a really vibrant little city with a lot going on. Cost of living there is still very afforadable and the recession doesn't seem to have had as huge an impact there. Knoxville might suit you, but it's a bit more crowded with 3 times as many people as Greenville and maybe twice as many people as Asheville. What I always hate about going thru it is that for years the interstate going thru it has been under construction - it's a big pain to those of us passing thru. Of course, TN doesn't have a state income tax, but they aren't as healthy of a state because of it as NC and SC are.

You are coming to the Bible Belt - but that is not a bad thing! You'll find people to be very friendly and great neighbors. You may get asked if you've "found a church home yet" by many folks you meet, but that is not meant to upset you, it's a form of welcome. If you politely say, no, not yet, or we don't attend church, they'll likely issue an open invitation to theirs and let the whole thing drop, okay?

Good luck in your search - by coincidence, I am headed to Syracuse! My husband has a new job there and I am having to leave NC kicking and screaming, lol. Seriously, the outer lying areas of Syracuse remind me of rural areas in NC, so I'm hoping to make the adjustment just fine. Any tips for me? Besides buy a thick parka

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-03-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,308,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
...My husband has a new job there and I am having to leave NC kicking and screaming, lol. Seriously, the outer lying areas of Syracuse remind me of rural areas in NC, so I'm hoping to make the adjustment just fine. Any tips for me? Besides buy a thick parka

Greenville, South Carolina Home Page

Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Thanks Mary - it's a sad thing on the one hand - who wants to live anywhere besides the south? But we are so grateful for a good job opportunity after being unemployed for a year. It's a 2 year contract, so we'll be back

Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 PM

97 posts, read 182,485 times
Dear lovesmountains, THANK YOU for the friendly, advising post. We live in the country between Cortland and Syracuse in a small town called DeRuyter. Depending where you will be in the Syracuse area, south of the city are the towns of Fayetteville and Manlius. These are nice towns to live in. I must warn you though that the cost of living here is much more expensive than in the South. We have very high taxes, which in turn means that housing, utilities, groceries, etc are way more expensive. We also have to recycle everything from plastic to newspapers to aluminum cans. There are 5 cent deposits on soda and other beverages. Due to cold weather, there are added costs of high heat bills, snowplowing, winter weather clothing, etc. I don't mean to discourage you but thought I would give you honest advice as to what to expect when you move here. The city of Syracuse has a very high crime rate with many shootings and stabbings in the news nearly daily, as well as gang violence. It is a very different lifestyle than in the South. Everything seems to be so fast-paced rather than taking the time to enjoy life. I am tired of the high cost and the winter weather which is why it is time for me to relocate. I have traveled South many times, mostly SC (Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Columbia) but have seriously been considering Greenville, SC for some time now. I wish you the best in your relocation and just be prepared for many lifestyle changes. If I can be of any further assistance, please dont hesitate to ask.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,699,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That wasn't very friendly, where is your southern hospitality?
i'm not from the south.

anyway, just really really reeeeally be prepared for any cultural differences. always have a plan b.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,051,285 times
scmover,

My sister moved to Knoxville, TN, from Rochester, NY, a few years ago, and she loves it. There are LOTS of Northerners now in Knoxville. There can be cultural differences in some places that are more challenging than others in the South, especially in smaller towns. Identify employers who are hiring, research the area, and visit it before you make the big move. Everywhere is different.

lovesmountains,

Congrats to your husband re the job!

If you are going to be there 2 years, I'd approach it like it was a vacation, and you are tourists. Seek out FUN. Go to the Renaissance Fair in Sterling, NY: Welcome to the Sterling Festival! (It's held in the woods and is wonderful.) Camp at nearby Fairhaven State Park (make reservations early) -- it's right on Lake Ontario. It has one of the finest public lakefronts in upstate New York, with towering shoreline bluffs, sandy beaches and adjoining hilly woodlands. Or find a B&B. Or just make it a day trip.

Go to the Windmill Flea market in Penn Yan, NY. The Windmill Farm & Craft Market Many Mennonite vendors. Charming! Rural! Lots of fun!

Go to the NY State Fair, held in Syracuse around Labor Day: The Great New York State Fair :: August 27 - September 7, 2009 :: Syracuse, NY

In September, go to Naples Grape Festival (it's crowded, go early; make reservations early at B&Bs if you want to stay overnight). Grape Festival — Home

Go to Canandaigua, NY, to Sonnenburg Gardens (a very old home and gardens, and they often have events on the grounds, well worth the visit). Welcome to Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park They have an arts show in August: Arts at the Gardens Splash page

Visit Rochester and go to the Strong National Museum of Play, even if you don't have kids: Strong National Museum of Play It used to be called the Margaret Woodbury Strong Museum. It's recognized as one of the top museums for families and children in the country. I used to work with the founder's niece.

If I were you, I'd also make plans to visit the Thousand Islands in the summer: VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Welcome

I'd also get my passport ASAP or an "enhanced" drivers license so that you can go to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Have lunch at the restaurant overlooking the falls in the park. (Princess Di did!) Then travel 11 miles from Niagara Falls and visit Niagara-on-the-Lake, my favorite little town. Can be crowded in the summer. They have three theatres and great plays. Lots of B&Bs. Beautiful little tourist town. Look at these photos -- they work hard to keep the town gorgeous: niagara-on-the-lake - Google Image Search

(I didn't even mention the TONS of wineries in NY and in Canada. I've been on so many tours I could give them myself, so I'm personally not so enamored of them, but they are still fun!)

Keep in mind that the fun is in summer and fall. In November, it can be depressing. So you have to have as much fun as possible while the sun is shining.

Have fun!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,051,285 times
P.S. to my earlier post: In order to have fun all year, learn to downhill or cross-country ski or ice skate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina