Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM

206 posts, read 439,694 times

Advertisements

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to theS5 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Next they (yankees) are going to accuse southerners of being racist, while in yankeeland Swim club accused of racial discrimination against kids - CNN.com
Now what the heck does that have to do with us? We don't own that damn place. One time on another Southern forum, someone posted an article about a man that murdered his son in Detroit. I live there. I told him the same thing. What an idiot.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Well, apparently ignorance is bliss-mine. I thought the war was over. I thought this thread was about some southerners referring to some northerners as yankees and why. I thought that it was explained why. I thought there were mostly insightful discussions and disagreements on both sides.

In the time I have lived here, and through all the friends I have had that have been from the south, I never once heard any of them speak about the war. And that included a faction of my former in-laws from Alabama that at a family reunion many years ago were proud that they were descendents of a grand wizard of the kkk. They didn't talk about the war. They just hated everyone.

Now I see that it is still going on. Which is very sad since we are one nation. Another local boy was killed in Afghanistan today and I don't think he was fighting for the south. Or the north. He was fighting for the United States of America. And the great right we have to agree and disagree and talk about it. And apparently the right to hurl insults at people we don't agree with.

So all that is left for this former midwest yankee, former Floridian and newly transplanted southerner is to say......
God bless us one and all.

Last edited by Catrick; 07-09-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: multi-tasking and I'm sticking with that excuse.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Well, apparently ignorance is bliss-mine. I thought the war was over. I thought this thread was about some southerners referring to some northerners as yankees and why. I thought that it was explained why. I thought there were mostly insightful discussions and disagreements on both sides.

In the time I have lived here, and through all the friends I have had that have been from the south, I never once heard any of them speak about the war. And that included a faction of my former in-laws from Alabama that at a family reunion many years ago were proud that they were descendents of a grand wizard of the kkk. They didn't talk about the war. They just hated everyone.

Now I see that it is still going on. Which is very sad since we are one nation. Another local boy was killed in Afghanistan today and I don't think he was fighting for the south. Or the north. He was fighting for the United States of America. And the great right we have to agree and disagree and talk about it. And apparently the right to hurl insults at people we don't agree with.

So all that is left for the this former midwest yankee, former Floridian and newly trasnplanted southerner is to say
Great post.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I am also fully aware that anyone from anywhere can act like a jerk.

I agree

Just read on:

Quote:

Know the difference between a "Yankee" and a "Damn Yankee"?
A "Yankee" comes for a visit, a "Damn Yankee" doesn't go back where they came from.
Quote:

Your over reaction and desire to strike out with insults to the truth is amusing though but expected from a Yankee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I love to see folks saying Yankeeland instead of the incorrect up north. My great Aunt called Yankees foreigners. That was always funny to me. Still is.

Quote:

We call transplants from Florida (the annoying kind - usually people who have moved to Florida from the NE - then here to NC) Swamp Yankees. And everyone knows what that means.

Quote:

I promise not to all you a Yankee no matter how badly you act.

I will just call you an Ass.
Quote:
We were here first and this is our home and you chose to come here on our turf.
Quote:
It has to do with MANNERS. It has to do w/ a particular set of behaviors wh/ stand out like a sore thumb in a region where people do not appreciate rude, uncouth public displays.

Yes indeedy! Look at the display of manners posted above

Golly-The above quotes just make me cringe. How embarrassing! I am so glad that there are just a few "jerks" I am also thrilled that they don't represent what North Carolina is really about. I have never encountered the above attitude in NC. Then again, I surround myself with happy, friendly, and loving people.

Last edited by Paper; 07-09-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post

So all that is left for this former midwest yankee, former Floridian and newly transplanted southerner is to say......
As you have stated earlier, and I have also, we are all Americans and we are proud to be Americans. I hope that is how people feel all over this country.

Like you, I don't hear anyone speak of (or think about) the Civil War, for heaven's sake. Most of us are trying to deal with the present economic downturn, and as you pointed out, if any war is being discussed, it would be concern for our sons who are in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Catrick - I am using your post as a jumping off point - these are some general thoughts on the subject:

I would assume 95% of the people who relocate to this state come here and would never want to be perceived as anything less than good citizens. I know when I moved to another state, I surely didn't want to be disrespectful to the people who lived there. So I would think that this is how most people think. Most people, no matter where they are, would prefer getting along with others.

I have neighbors and friends who are from several different areas of the USA and we have surely never discussed the Civil War - but I have had several people tell me they didn't realize how rushed, abrupt, rude, impatient, uncouth (etc. - lots of adjectives to choose from) that it was where they lived, until they moved here. And I have been told that they have found themselves wanting to tell others to stop with the smart aleck behavior, in your face rudeness, etc. b/c it "gives a bad name to other newcomers." My response? Yes, you are right. When people act that way, everyone just shakes their heads and says "Yankees."

So those of you who don't "get it" - fine. Maybe you are so accustomed to the rudeness that you dont notice it (when living around it daily).

But to say this has something to do with the Civil War is silly. The reputation of "Yankees" surely was established at that time . . . but 150 years later - the reputation is earned regularly.

And I doubt there is even anyone on this forum who have ever sat on their horns for 10 seconds, made a scene at their kid's school, screamed at a salesperson or waitress b/c you could not find what you wanted or get served quickly enuff, or made fun of your neighbor b/c he went to church - and snickered while making remarks about the Bible Belt, or called your coworkers backward hicks - and expressed your exasperation at having moved somewhere that isn't "progressive" or expressed to everyone in the neighborhood that you just can't believe what people are willing to settle for with their kids' education "below the Manson Nixon Line" etc.

I feel sure none of you have done those things, so why would you be concerned that you might get mislabeled?

Last edited by brokensky; 07-09-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM

PAPER: What I wrote was the truth. If you are embarrassed by the truth - your problem.

I spend a lot of time on the Charlotte forum trying to help newcomers get settled here. I have no agenda except to hopefully help others find their niche here. I attempted to answer some questions w/ honesty. My only regret is that I wasted my time, b/c it appears some folks are determined to "prove" that they moved South and GOLLY GEEEEE - it's still 1864 down here.

Good grief.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Nah. I doubt everyone shakes their head and says “Yankee”. Really. It is not the truth I know you and uncletupelo have issues with this, but most people aren’t harping on the whole “we can pick you Yankees out from a mile away” thing

Most normal, educated folks don’t even concern themselves with the previous residence of a rude person They just think “Wow. They are rude”. Because people of sound mind are aware that even their natives are capable of being rude.
Keep telling yourself this - I suspect in person you are one of the easiest to pick out

Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Nah. I doubt everyone shakes their head and says “Yankee”. Really. It is not the truth I know you and uncletupelo have issues with this, but most people aren’t harping on the whole “we can pick you Yankees out from a mile away” thing

Most normal, educated folks don’t even concern themselves with the previous residence of a rude person They just think “Wow. They are rude”. Because people of sound mind are aware that even their natives are capable of being rude.
Paper, I am sure you are right.

I am just some bigoted old Southern gal who loves to write about Yankees.

Dude, don't you get it? People have asked questions - I have tried to honestly answer them. I have plainly stated that I am passing on what I know to be true, but obviously I don't have problems with people moving here - and I married a man who isn't a Southerner, for god's sake.

I have stated over and over - people are basically the same no matter where you move - there are rude people and polite people everywhere.

No one is gonna twist your arm to agree with me - no one cares! I tried to pass on what I know. You didn't get charged for my opinion, did you? If you don't agree - fine! Why make it personal? Really - who cares?

Last edited by brokensky; 07-09-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,593 times
Quote:

For the record, everyone I've ever known who transplanted from the north made it VERY clear where they were from originally.

"In Boston, we..." "When I worked for NYC DSS..." "Our roads...." "Schools up north..." Etc, etc, etc.

Now, time to drop some scholastic verbage on your butts... how many of you have actually read any of the texts/research about these issues? It does exist... I've read much of it... I had to as a requirement for one of my graduate programs. Read texts written by both sides.

I suggest you stop jaw flapping and start reading... as n=1 experience like I shared from my life above is kind of like toilet paper in the woods. It might help make you feel a little better, but you are still droppin turds off a cliff and nobody cares.

Additionally, most normal, educated folks don't make broad generalizations based on nothing other than individualized opinions without clarification that it is, in fact, an opinion... in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina