Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I don't care where you're from. Seriously. What really bothers me personally, however, is watching the place I grew up in morph into something else entirely due mostly in part to the mass exodus here from the NE/other places. Maybe I'm just an ignorant "redneck", but I don't enjoy most of the changes the NE culture brings down here (of course this isn't meant to be a blanket statement, but I'm not going to pull punches - I'll say what I think, deal with it). Not to be overly political, but with all these NE transplants from traditionally more left-leaning states, I see very little opportunity to oust the high taxation/"grow government more into peoples' lives" representatives (that's a laugh) from their offices. In summation, to me at least, it's like leaving and coming back to a cesspool that you don't even recognize. Except you never left. Yeah. It sucks.
There is a simple explanation for this. If people want to live somewhere warm and liberal, but can't afford California, where do they go? They have to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Well move back up north yankee. Because no self respecting southerner would uproot his proud family to yankeeland. Yankees's by the droves ditch their hometowns and heritage to move south. I would never speak to a southern friend of mine that moved to yankeeland. It rarely happens. Why? Because the southland means alot more to southerners than yankeeland means to yankees. How else can you explain the modern day invasion of carpetbagging yankees to the south? Yankees are more than willing to ditch their hometown and family for a better life in the south. Southerner's never do the opposite. I would never move to yankeeland for a job. Why? Because I do not to raise yankee kids. Period. It would NEVER happen.
Take it as a compliment that they're not attached to their region and choose to move to your region. If you like your region and don't like the North, you can probably see why people from the North would escape their region to come to yours. Correct? Yankees can't help it that they weren't lucky enough to be born in the South. If I moved to the South I would take offense to the word Yankee because by moving to the South, I would be showing that I don't want to be a Yankee anymore.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
True. All too very sadly true in fact. I'll always love the rolling hills and forestlands of NC, and hopefully when I have the career and income to do so I'll build a cottage somewhere in said forestland far and away from such things as the above poster mentioned. But for now, I have reached the conclusion that I and people like me have been officially edged out in our oh so lovely new migration culture here in NC. It is with deep regret and sadness that I leave here upon college graduation.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Where are you going to move? Montana? North Dakota? Maine? Deep in the heart of Texas?

Quote:
True. All too very sadly true in fact. I'll always love the rolling hills and forestlands of NC, and hopefully when I have the career and income to do so I'll build a cottage somewhere in said forestland far and away from such things as the above poster mentioned. But for now, I have reached the conclusion that I and people like me have been officially edged out in our oh so lovely new migration culture here in NC. It is with deep regret and sadness that I leave here upon college graduation.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
That's not stereotyping at all!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
No! Seriously! Where can you move where the population has not grown and changed things from the way they used to be?

I grew up in an idyllic place. Everything is changed there now, but not from "newcomers." It's just changed.

Really. I'm wondering. Where there is rural beauty, there are no jobs. And every place has its positives and negatives.

Quote:
That's not stereotyping at all!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:11 PM

122 posts, read 456,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Take it as a compliment that they're not attached to their region and choose to move to your region. If you like your region and don't like the North, you can probably see why people from the North would escape their region to come to yours. Correct? Yankees can't help it that they weren't lucky enough to be born in the South. If I moved to the South I would take offense to the word Yankee because by moving to the South, I would be showing that I don't want to be a Yankee anymore.
Well, I'll be darned!
That is an excellent point.
Good job!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If I moved to the South I would take offense to the word Yankee because by moving to the South, I would be showing that I don't want to be a Yankee anymore.
Until you say "back in yankeeland we did _______________" or somehow otherwise criticize 'southern' ways, culture, food, etc. etc.

And it could merely show that you are tired of the cold and snow.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,128 times
I found the quote referring to the "fact" a southerner would never leave the South for the North quite humorous. I grew up in Michigan in the 1950's and believe me, there were plenty of people who moved from the South to make big money in the auto companies and foundries. Back then it was just not happening in the South. So now Michigan is hurting (actually our country is hurting thanks to unrestricted and unregulated trade) and people move where they can get a job. Right now that is the South, be it not a very well paying job - still a job. I find people sometimes move because they have to and if one is lucky enough to love where you end up living - gosh, that is just icing on the cake!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
k, i have many thoughts about some of the posts that i've read in this thread but...

yankeeland.

like what in theee hell. you cannot be serious with that word. lol @ that. i'm sorry. i don't think i can take a person serious that uses that word...yankeeland?? really??

yankeeland.

wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina