U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 AM

787 posts, read 3,439,295 times

Advertisements

If you are a city person as you stated, I would recommend Raleigh or Charlotte. Now if you want a 'burb instead, check out Knightdale and Garner around Raleigh and what is near Charlotte folks, Matthews isn't it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,161 times
My vote is for a move to the NC COAST! Who doesn't love the beach?? Brunswick County is the 14th fastest growing county in the us and man do we need some help with the schooling - well that's my opinion! Come here and make a difference in the lives of the young, have a great time at the beach (on your days off) and enjoy the city of Wilmington.
Whatever you choose, stay within driving distance of Raleigh, Charlotte or Wilmington so you'll have an airport close by - and a chance to meet new people in the city. OVERALL NC is great - from and IL born, NC bred. =)

Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 17,690 times
Default mlh

I have no idea!! The more research I've done, the more I'm looking into moving around either Raleigh or Charlotte. I think I really need that big city somewhere near me (within 20 min.) although I don't want to live in the middle of the commotion.

I'm having a really hard time figuring this out. I don't know anyone from the area and so I don't know anything about it. I'm planning on visiting after graduation, but I don't even know where to go or how to go about it. Ahhhh it's scary and overwhelming!

I just keep hoping that it will somehow work out...

What part of Ohio are you moving from and where are you looking to move??

Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 PM

94 posts, read 270,294 times
Default re:

I am from Athens and graduated from Ohio University. I'm sick of Ohio and would love to get out! *lol*

Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,311,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
I am from Athens and graduated from Ohio University. I'm sick of Ohio and would love to get out! *lol*
Well, I'll tell you like I told the original poster - especially if you are a new teacher and want to situate yourself near an urban area, consider the Raleigh area first. Wake county schools are in need of teachers and there are many nice jobs there to be had. In looking for a place to live the little town of Carrboro is a great place for young people to check out.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 17,690 times
Default lovesmountains

Thank you so much for your help! I clearly need it!!

I was just wondering... do you have any suggestions of what to do when I visit?? I'm looking to rent an apartment when I move down, do you know how I would be able to find places prior to visiting that I would be able to check out once I do??

Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,311,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Help View Post
Thank you so much for your help! I clearly need it!!

I was just wondering... do you have any suggestions of what to do when I visit?? I'm looking to rent an apartment when I move down, do you know how I would be able to find places prior to visiting that I would be able to check out once I do??
There are many sites on the internet you can search for apartments on. Some are frustrating because they will only give you basic info - not apartment contact info because they want to make a commission by sending you to them themselves. Instead I would try googling something like "apartments Raleigh NC". I find googling often gets you links the best. Also, post a thread on the Raleigh board asking for info on something like "safest apartments in Wake County under $800". Folks there will most likely give you lots of leads. If you decide you want to consider Charlotte's metro area make a new thread on the Charlotte board asking the same question and you'll get a better idea on what to see when you visit

Old 04-20-2007, 07:39 AM

80 posts, read 446,129 times
Default Ohio-North Carolina Translation Guide Now Available!

I was giving this question some more thought. I lived all over North Carolina and have ties to many other parts of the state (I now live in Northern Virginia). I have never lived in Ohio, but I have traveled there quite a bit on business. So here is my attempt at an Ohio-North Carolina translation guide. I would love to hear others' thoughts on or additions to this groundbreaking work.

If you like Cleveland, you might like Charlotte.
If you like Cincinnati, you might like Charlotte or Raleigh.
If you like Columbus, you might like Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.
If you like Dayton, you might like Greensboro or Winston-Salem.
If you like Akron or Toledo, stay in Ohio. We don't have cities like that in North Carolina.
If you want something that is completely unlike anything you have in Ohio, come to Wilmington or Asheville.

I should add that for increasing the odds of securing a teaching job, you may want to look at any of the contiguous counties. What I would do is apply with 10-15 counties. Find two weeks in June when you can come down for interviews and tour the state. You'll see what you like and where you may get offers. After seeing the state, then you can make an informed decision.

I wish you well during what can be a daunting task but can also be an exciting transition.

Let me know if I can be of additional assistance to you.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:44 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,610,027 times
Here's a thought for Need Help and mlh1981, maybe the two of you could meet in Ohio somewhere and then plan a trip down to NC together. It might be less intimidating to have someone to share this search with. There are several realtors on this site who could get you useful information on apartments and can help you decide what part of the city would suit each of you. I don't know that you both want the same amenities or even the same city but that is something you could discuss. Just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina