Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,361 times

Advertisements

I am near retirement and live in Pennsylvania. I have been looking at Hickory NC, in Catawba county. I visited the area and liked what I saw for retirement. There are many homes for sale that are bargained priced and I heard the taxes are very reasonable. There is Lake Hickory in town and other Catawba river lakes close by. The mountains are only 30 minutes away. Lots of restaurants and a mall, Walmart, Lowes, and more. They even have a $2 movie theater there.
Looks like a good place to retire to and I just wonder what others think about the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 01:20 PM

93 posts, read 698,605 times
Hi Luke.
I grew up in Hickory NC (although I have been on the west coast since '93) and can tell you it is a great place to live.

My father still lives there and sends "North Carolina" magazine to my wife and I here in Phoenix, AZ every few months.

It looks like it has worked and we are planning to return HOME next year.
I'm looking at Raleigh myself because I'd rather not be so close to my old stomping grounds, But I would highly recommend the Hickory area to anyone.

You should also take a look at Claremont & Newton-Conover.
Not a busy as Hickory but only about 15 minutes away, and closer to Charlotte.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
I currently live in Hickory, although I'm on the other end of the spectrum from you (I'm 24, recent college grad).

You'll probably want to check out the homes in the Viewmont area...think NE Hickory. That's really the best area for "retirement", as there are more well off people there, and there is less traffic (except for Highway 127), and there's less crime, etc.

If you live in the right spots, Hickory is pretty good. You can live in a rather secluded spot if you choose, you're minutes away from the Mall (including Target, Best Buy, and god-forsaken Wallyworld), Class A minor league baseball and the airport, Hickory High School is in the Viewmont area, and Lenoir-Rhyne College is as well, so you can watch Division II college football on Saturday afternoons in the fall.

Boone is only 45 miles to the NNW (home of the 2005 Division I-AA National Champion Mountaineers). Great little town to spend a day or weekend in the spring/summer/fall (or winter if you like skiing). Charlotte is 1 hour away, in case you want to go to something big (NBA, NFL, NASCAR, concerts, museums, etc.).

Hickory is in a pretty good location between the mountains and Charlotte. Like another poster said, you might also want to consider a place outside of Hickory, but in Catawba County. You might be without city water, but you'd have quite a bit less in taxes if you own property & cars.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM

68 posts, read 296,046 times
Hi Luke,
We are in our early 50's and decided to relocate to a more moderate climate compared to our current location in Massachusetts.
We also did lots of research and ended up buying a house in Hickory in the Grace Chapel area. Our house is located in Caldwell County, yet it has a Hickory address. We are technically outside the Hickory city limits therefore we pay no city taxes, just county taxes. This cuts our tax bill in half.
We will be living in Hickory permanently beginning the 1st week of August. We have spent a fair amount of time there in the last year and really like it.
Everything we need is close by, but we live in a quiet more rural type area.
Let me know if you need any more specific info.
Len

Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 AM

27 posts, read 187,629 times
I live in Mount. View just south of hickory and it is close to alot of the thru roads and even downtown. We bought a house here while visiting 2 mos ago!!
It gets lonely here, we do not know anyone, but like it here alot in catawba county/Hickory. LOTS of places to dine, and shop. But nightly entertainment is almost unheard of. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
Angelbee,
Have you found the Friday night "cruise in" in Valdese yet? Or the ones in Lenoir on Saturday nights? I hope you found friendlier people south of Hickory than you find north of it.

Luke, I sent you a PM but if you didn't get it I advise you to rent here for four to six months before committing to a move. One other thing, if you have allergies western NC is horrible in the Spring time.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM

Red face hapaleeretired-

No, I have not heard about those. I assume you are talking about clasic cars? Well, my husband would love to see that I imagine. Thank you for that. We have not been to Valdese yet, where is this cruise at?
All I know is there is a movies in the park (what movies?) in Conover and some rodeo south of here, maybe Newton. driving around is the only way I have found anything for entertainment here. On the 4th of july we looked in the paper and found nothing as to where to go for fireworks, so we went north on 321 and found the baseball park and fireworks, lol.
Hey a question....anyone know about ants being a problem here and a good pest tech to call? Little black Ants crawling around everywhere and going in our bathroom sink too...ugh!

Last edited by angelbee; 07-11-2006 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: quote was put in wrong, decided to delete that

Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
The Friday night cruise in is held at Myra's in Valdese and in the lots just to the west.
This coming Saturday evening there is one in downtown Lenoir. You oughta bring the Nova up. In Lenoir the first and third Saturdays there is one in the downtown area. On the second and forth they are on 321 in front of the Belk's store.
Luke, sorry for hijacking your post but I tried sending Angelbee a PM with no success. Where are the $2.00 theaters?

Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 PM

$2.00 movies are downtown in Hickory and don't ask which street, they are all numbered and sectioned, but there are 2 movie screens in there, usually play a rated G and a PG. Maybe Luke can tell you what street...

Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
It is the Carolina Theater, 222 1st Ave, that's downtown Hickory. Movies are not first run but it is cheaper than renting movie. $2.00 is hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina