U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 AM

45 posts, read 161,710 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to the Hickory area. I've been a snowbird (FL/NC) since I retired, but I'm really fed up with FL politicians, taxes, insurance, etc. I don't want to live here any longer. I have a place in West Jefferson, but I don't want to deal with the snow in the mountains. If I live in NC year round, I probably need a place where the winter is milder. Lenoir to Hickory seems like an ideal area for year-round living.

I discovered by reading on the Lenoir forum that I shouldn't buy in West Lenoir. Where are the areas in the Hickory Metro area where I shouldn't live. I'm a 65-year-old widow, and I need to be in a place I would feel secure. However, I hate the idea of living in a "gated community" where they can tell me what I can and cannot do. (I sold a condo because they told me I had to walk my cats on a leash. Have you ever tried walking a cat on a leash?)

Most of the houses I've seen that I can afford and that appeal to me have been in the NW sections of Hickory. Is that a safe area? I'm assuming the numbered streets are the older sections of town. In Miami, the older sections were also generally the most of the criminals live. I knew not to buy in the NW section of Miami-Dade County. Is that true in Hickory?

I'm not especially concerned about the schools except how they would impact resale value. I'm a retired teacher so I would prefer to live in an area that has good schools, but resale is my major concern. Hopefully, I'll love Hickory so much that I'll die there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I also posted this on the Western NC thread until I say a map of Western NC that included Caldwell County but not Catawba County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 AM

4,329 posts, read 8,183,739 times
Hickory has a lot of crime. If you read the police blotter, it occurs in all quadrants, and not just where the criminals live. hickoryrecord.com is the newspaper; whky.com is the radio station. You can't assume any area will be safe; other than that it's a nice place.

What is it that attracts you to Hickory? How about somewhere near Winston-Salem, or maybe Raleigh?

You would benefit Hickory, though, as someone who can buy a house but doesn't need to get a job.

Last edited by sll3454; 07-11-2009 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,181,934 times
I believe you will find that the crime is not rampant all over the city. The NW section is a safe area and I would advise you check that part of the city - especially if you can be near the lake (property holds its value there). For ex - buy off 127 N and keep a NW address and you will be fine - or around the Country Club.

Other than buying near the Country Club or right off 127 N, there are nice historic homes (not sure what might be for sale at this time). One way to keep your bearings about housing is to remember that Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is at 6th St and 6th Ave - and there are many nice older homes in that area, if you like being closer in. Also, check around the hospital in the Oakwood District.

Even if you buy on 127 N, it is still only a few miles back to the hospital and other shopping.

Another suggestion would be Granite Falls. I like Granada Farms and would suggest you check out that area.

Are you going to keep your place in Ashe County? If so, you may want to consider living in a town that will allow you easy access back to your second home - not that Hickory would be terrible for getting back to Ashe. Traditionally, Hickory residents have bought second homes in Blowing Rock, as it is a short, enjoyable straight shot from Hickory to Blowing Rock/Boone.

Hickory has so many volunteer opportunities - I think you would quickly make friends and find yourself at home. So I would suggest you find some organizations to volunteer for as that will make meeting others a breeze. Also, Lenoir-Rhyne College (ooops - University) is in Hickory, and that adds a lot w/ inexpensive events you may enjoy attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina