U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,852,920 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here who has lived in Delaware or SE Pennsylvania, as well as North Carolina, so can directly compare the winter and summer weather in the two regions? I currently live in Northern DE, where the summer isn't too bad -- not too much 90 degree and above weather (it's been unusually and wonderfully cool this summer so far). However, I find the winters too long and cold. I lived for many years in Austin, TX, where the winters are pretty good for me, though the summers are way too long and too hot. I'd like to get somwhere that isn't as cold in the winter as DE and where there are more warm spells during the winter. However, I also fear going to anyplace that has significantly hotter summers than DE. Can anyone comment, epsecially in regard to the Triangle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,945,837 times
Hey doctorjef,

You'll get WAY more responses on the Triangle forum. It's typically hot a humid in the summers getting well up into the 90's and on occasion low 100's. We've had an unusually cool summer too, which has been really nice! Our winters are mild with occasional snow, which in recent years has been almost non existent besides this past winter.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks, Danielle. Before I try the Triangle subforum I'll give it a little more time here and I was also wondering if you could tell me what "mild" winters mean to you? Days where you only need a light jacket or sweater? A few days where you could actually put on a t-shirt and shorts? Or is that only a rarity?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:34 AM

1,190 posts, read 3,759,011 times
Default reply

try weather.com. It is much easier and factual.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,945,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Thanks, Danielle. Before I try the Triangle subforum I'll give it a little more time here and I was also wondering if you could tell me what "mild" winters mean to you? Days where you only need a light jacket or sweater? A few days where you could actually put on a t-shirt and shorts? Or is that only a rarity?
Well I was raised here and originally from CA, although I was young. I would FREEZE my butt off up north. So to you it is probably pretty mild. Rarely would I wear just a t-shirt in the winter, but it actually did happen this past winter shortly after Christmas (and maybe a day or two a couple other years). I have heard those from up north are fine wearing t-shirts and shorts through some of the winter. Sometimes it gets downright freezing cold (20's-30's). Our winter varies quite a bit and I think the suggestion of checking out some websites with actual facts would help out greatly. I've worn anything from a light sweater to a heavy coat.

If you are looking for specifics in the Triangle area, including those from the north, you probably would have had about 10 responses already in the Triangle forum.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks again, Danielle, and I will now post on the Triangle subforum (or later today). However, I don't find the objective weather data as illuminating as anecdotal reports, frankly. The problem is that the factual weather data doesn't account for the ups and downs that occur during the winter especially (can you see I'm a bit more concerned about getting relief from the winter here than suffering a bit more summer heat?) -- they can't give a feel for what things are really like on more of a day to day basis or the kind of variability you can have in some years.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM

18 posts, read 42,919 times
Former Delawarean here! Born and raised...then lived in IL, IN, and now NC!!! I can tell you that compared to Delaware...the summers (humidity) are HOT (I love it though!) and the winters are MILD...with some warm days to make a warm weather lover appreciate winter! Been here 3 years and it "snowed" (really!) this winter for the first time since we've been here enough to close the schools, but for us it seemed like a joke (compared to a midwest snow, or a lovely Delaware ice storm!). Not sure what Texas is like, but I hope this helps your comparison. We are in the Southern Pines area...which is south of the Triangle....but the weather is only slightly different (in my opinion...but they usually do get a little colder and more snow when it does snow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina