U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 36,498 times

Advertisements

Ok, I had my first visit to the carolinas about a month ago to the Outer Banks.

I LOVED IT!

I loved everything about it:

The beach
The weather
The EXTEMELY nice people...

I currently live in Cleveland Ohio and everyone is mean and miserable and there is no ocean to cool yourself off in the hot heat.

I just dont know if I would want to move to North or South Carolina.

Can anyone suggest one way or another?

Here are a few places that have been suggested for me to move:

Sunset Beach
Wilmington
Beauford (sp?)
Topsil Island
Paulies Island
Charleston
East of Rocky MTs
SC Border

Now I dont know the difference or location of any of these.

Here are my requirements:

1) Be within 5-10 of the beach
2) NOT in a tourist area, the last thing I want to deal with is bumper to bumper traffic because of trendy times of the year.
3) Good school system as I have a 4.5 year old son.
4) I need to know the gun laws, as I am an avid gun owner & law abiding citizen (I'm NOT a hunter)

Thanks guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

8,190 posts, read 13,731,019 times
Not sure how the schools in the Outer Banks or Wilmington stack up, but Mt. Pleasant, SC sounds like it might be a match for you. It's just outside Charleston and isn't in the "touristy" part of the region.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM

6,263 posts, read 15,305,782 times
South Carolina.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
South Carolina.
Thats funny you suggest that and yet live in NC.

Can you give me insight to why?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Let me re-phrase something:

I live in cleveland, ohio. Do you know how miserable it and the people are up here because of the long, cold winter?

I've loved the beach since a a little kid, even though that was the 1st time I was there in probably 20 years. (I'm 27)

I dont know where, but I do know I want to move to the carolinas some where.

Its either that or florida and the humidity is way wose in florida obviously.

Thats why I'm on these forums, to find out places that fall into most of the categories I like and then try and visit them.

i'm not going to stay in cleveland and just move right to a place someone suggests on a message board.

I will however take all of the advice into account and plan a trip to check out a couple of places, as a move is a serious thing.

I am working on/would be self employed running a website for this move to happen. So employment wont be a concern per say, but still dont want to be in a terribly depressed area.

I also dont want to be in a place that is totally shut down X number of months a year.

I want to live in a "normal" town that is very close to the beach.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,089,763 times
Tourist traffic rules out Wilmington and Charleston. I lived in Wilmington five years ago and it was bad then. I could only imagine how bad it is now. If you don't mind living on the outskirts in a smaller town though, that could work. Can't help you on the other questions...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 PM

I think you'll find more people who will share your hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Thats funny you suggest that and yet live in NC.

Can you give me insight to why?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:20 PM

358 posts, read 924,174 times
Personally, it would take an awful lot to make me want to live in South Carolina. With the exception of Greenville and Charleston, there's not much to like...

Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think you'll find more people who will share your hobby.
Ahh so are the laws totally different on guns between the 2 carolinas, or just the mind set of the locals?

Goshjosh - what do you mean there isnt much to like? Is SC really that much different from NC? What isnt too like? Hotter? Bugs? etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM

I was thinking the mindset, but you could probably get other perspectives on the SC city-data board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Ahh so are the laws totally different on guns between the 2 carolinas, or just the mind set of the locals?

Goshjosh - what do you mean there isnt much to like? Is SC really that much different from NC? What isnt too like? Hotter? Bugs? etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>