Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile high View Post
That's a mouthful!

An NC native (Charlotte-an?) once referred to himself by saying , ""I thank thee, Lord, that I am white, male, Anglo-Saxon, residing in the state of North Carolina, that valley of humility between two towering mountains of conceit, Virginia and South Carolina ...". Now, that's typical NC humility for you!

After living in Charlotte for 10 years and nursing my son through the abysmal school system, we made plans to escape. He was sent home one day from 2nd grade for reading from a Ranger Rick book in the school's own library about how frogs pro-create..."offensive and inappropriate", they said. It seemed to conflict with the teacher's view of creationism. I guess they burned the book afterward.

I'd describe Charlotte as a truckstop with an overactive thyroid. They wear their born-again, "my church is bigger than yours" myopic theology on their rear bumpers between their Jesse Helms and Dale Earnhardt commemorative stickers.

Culture? They think that's an ingredient in liver cheese. And NC-style barbeque is on the rise as a staple while possums are becoming an increasingly endangered species -- there may be a connection.

In the '80s, my family and I were air-lifted out from Tammy Fay Interstate Airfield or whatever it's called and we've never been back.

But if you go, I wish you all the best!
Two things to point out about your post: North Carolina has changed quite a bit since the 80s - drastically in many regards, and not all of NC is Charlotte, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 80,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Two things to point out about your post: North Carolina has changed quite a bit since the 80s - drastically in many regards, and not all of NC is Charlotte, thankfully.
I will concede the latter point. But on the former, I have two questions: does NC observe Memorial Day, or is it still considered a "...damn yankee invention..."? And have they stopped flying the confederate flag over the state capitol?

If the answer to either is still a no, I rest my 80's-based observations and case.

Cheers!

MH

Old 05-02-2007, 12:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile high View Post
does NC observe Memorial Day and have they stopped flying the confederate flag over the state capitol?

MH
Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day, a day to remember Union war dead. After World War I, it was expanded to include all Americans who died in any war or military action, including confederate war dead. North Carolina sent 125,000 soldiers into combat during the War Between the States and 40,000 perished.

I don't recall the confederate flag ever flying over the North Carolina capitol building, but I've only been in the state since July of 1960.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-02-2007 at 01:13 PM..

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 PM

15 posts, read 80,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Memorial Day was formerly known as Decoration Day, a day to remember Union war dead.
Well, not exactly. History as agreed upon (i.e., not the southern version) reads this way:

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate (my emphasis) soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day (again, my emphasis), honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war).

And the official Bureau of Veteran's Affairs record reads:

The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, presided over the ceremonies. After speeches, children from the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns.

This seems to make clear that at its inception Decoration/Memorial Day wasn't to honor Union dead. The Bureau account goes on to say:

Some States Have Confederate Observances
Many Southern states also have their own days for honoring the Confederate dead. ...North and South Carolina observe it on May 10. ...

-- apparently NC is officially still in denial of how, why and in honor of whom most of America observes Memorial Day. In balance, however, I see that the NC government and banks now observe national Memorial Day -- banks, at least, did not back when I lived there in the '80s.

Cheers!

MH

Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Historians don't agree as to the origin of Decoration or Memorial Day. The day probably has it's roots in many locally based observances in both the North and the South. Right or wrong, in 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., as the "birthplace" of the day. Their annual ceremony began on May 5, 1866. It's unlikely any Confederates are buried in Waterloo since no battles were fought in New York.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-02-2007 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 206,799 times
I am with you Sal. It is very sad to work so hard and not have the time to enjoy living on Long Island and see all of your money go toward nothing. My family is looking in the Charlotte area: Concord, Waxhaw, Matthews and Indian Trail.

I am working with a GREAT real estate agent. She is not pushy and is VERY helpful. She sent me a relocation package that makes the search so much easier. If you would like her name just PM me.

When you are looking at homes, most will tell you the name of the schools. http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ just type in the school name and it will tell you about the school. I have a daughter in Kindergarten right now and the cities that I list all have great schools. Weddington is very nice but a bit out of my prince range. The Weddington schools are GREAT.

Best wishes

Old 05-12-2007, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 38,530 times
Hi Sal,

I was going to suggest the same thing that havingfun did. My husband and I are 38 and moved from Kings Park 13 years ago. He is in construction and knows some contractors and brick masons. Moore county is a great place to live and raise a family. You can't even compare the cost of living and taxes from here to up there. You can probably get still get a very nice home for 175 thousand and have a larger nest egg. Their still building in this area and surrounding areas. My husband just landed 25 vinyl homes and there's another contractor that loves his work. If your a damn good brick mason you have a chance of hooking up with a local contractor. There are quite a few custom homes that go up and have alot of brick work on them. I wish you and your family luck. It's very nice in this county.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
Sal if your into the beaches but dont want to be on it, then check out currituck county nc its a nice place. I moved down here from long Island about 10 years ago. We searched the whole east coast. This area is one of the last 4 seson states. We do get a winter but its very very mild, but enough. I have to say that one thing i do not miss is the ice and snow
!!!!! so if its the coast then i say currituck. unfortunatly we have our house for sale and becauce of my hubbys business and sons schooling we are moving inland. If your looking for a nice big house brick 3600 sq ft and extra large detached brick garage 2600 sq ft with lift area and loft. check out ours forsalebyowner.com/20712974. The schools are great, people very nice and we are only is min from the outerbanks beach. The great thing i found about the beaches is you can actually get a parking spot and NOT HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO PARK. they have several parking areas on beach road some even have bathouses. the property taxes are great we pay $1,404 per year on 1.06 acres in a cul-de-sac. can't beat that!!! well hope you find what your looking for.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:55 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Come on down to Carteret County, known as the Crystal Coast of North Carolina!! If you are in or associated with construction/housing/contracting-This is the place to be!

"North Carolina imposes no tax on business inventories, and there is no state property tax on equipment or real property. Carteret County historically has one of the lowest property tax rates in North Carolina, and the 2005-2006 tax rate of $.42/$100 valuation is the seventh lowest rate of North Carolina county. The sales assessment ratio for Carteret County is $.7779 and the effective tax rate is $.3267. The effective rate adjusts for the county revaluation cycle by adjusting the county's nominal tax rate by the sales/assessment ratio - the ratio of the selling price of property to the assessed value of property."
-From the Cartert County Economic Development Council

The average price of a sold home for this year is $268K-That's with oceanfront properties factored in too!

Bill

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-23-2014 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Hi Long Island Sal.....you posted this quite some time ago....although I feel like I could have written it myself we are in the exact same situation. Did you ever make the move?I would love to know the outcome !!!!!!??Long Island Leah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina