Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times

Advertisements

We moved from Ft. Lauderdale. North Carolina is a beautiful place. We have the mountains and the coast which we both love. And we get the seasons. So for us it was a lifestyle choice. And except for my new found allergies, it was a great decision on our part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I came from Rochester, NY, and I needed a new job after a lucrative five-year contract had expired. A small recession was hitting Rochester, and I was in a panic. At a party, a TV news director told me Raleigh was the place HE would go. He said it sort of like how the word "Plastics" was said in "The Graduate." Sadly, he died before he could attain his dream.

I put ads in the N&O announcing my arrival time and availability for interviews (really, I did! The classified ads clerk tried to talk me out of it!). From that one ad, I found another very lucrative long-term contract, and so I moved.

I decided to move here even before I saw it. I had visions of me being a bag lady if I didn't take the opportunity.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Moved to Cary, NC from RI just over 15 months ago. We love it here. We're empty nesters who were tired of the cold winters and fast paced life. We moved for a less frenetic lifestyle and believe we found it. Since we both work in healthcare, jobs were not an issue - we both secured good positions within 3 weeks of our arrival. We love our location, mid-way between Raleigh and Durham, both cities we visit frequently and truly enjoy.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi everyone! Next friday I'm moving to NC from Michigan for a teaching job. I know there are a ton of transplants in NC, and I wondered where they all are from, why they came, and which state has contributed the most.

So, where did you come from, and why did you move down?

Thanks,

mackinac

Are you settled in yet?

How is Warrenton? We were in Roanoke Rapids a few weeks ago...

How is the weather?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
moved from Chagrin Falls (Cleveland), OH to South Charlotte mainly due to weather. I'm a tennis player and have more of a season and tennis is huge down here.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 AM

44 posts, read 245,122 times
From Illinois. Military brought me here and I just stayed.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Ohio to NC, due to family. Left as soon as soon as I was able.

Moved to SC after that, then heading to Florida in a few years.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
I moved here in May from the Tampa area for a job.

It's a great professional opportunity and I like the area. I think that I could love it here if I could make some friends. I have had exactly ONE social outing since I got here May 1.

Everything I'm interested in here in Jacksonville takes place during my work day. Everything seems geared toward the stay-at-home woman, with very little available for a mid-40s professional. I'm never going to make friends in this town if I have to drive to Wilmington, New Bern or Morehead City to do the things that I enjoy.

I'm becoming quite discouraged.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
I moved here in May from the Tampa area for a job.

It's a great professional opportunity and I like the area. I think that I could love it here if I could make some friends. I have had exactly ONE social outing since I got here May 1.

Everything I'm interested in here in Jacksonville takes place during my work day. Everything seems geared toward the stay-at-home woman, with very little available for a mid-40s professional. I'm never going to make friends in this town if I have to drive to Wilmington, New Bern or Morehead City to do the things that I enjoy.

I'm becoming quite discouraged.
Have you tried Meetup.com? Not certain what is in your area but Meetup is quite active in Raleigh/Durham. We joined 2 couples Meetup groups and have made some wonderful friends. There are multiple types of groups for both couples and singles based on interests, age group etc. Just gooogle meetup.com and see if there are any groups nearby. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Moved in May from Maryland to RTP. Originally from KY so this is a little more like home especially for the wife! I could care less where I live but if she is happy then I am happy lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina