Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
Thanks. His first year I dont know if he got any extentions since he did work some of that time. Im hoping they can pull forward some of those weeks he didnt use if he doesnt find a job. There are absolutely no jobs in this area! We have started applying other places. I have a degree and cant get a job anywhere. My kids got hired at McDonalds but I couldnt lol! Im telling you this is crazy. I have never in my life seem the job situation this bad, and my husband has never ever been out of work longer then a couple months.
The job situation is very bad., it's a hard time for so many.
However I have to say that if he's in his 2nd benefit year right now. He'll be done with UI benefits when the finish date comes in June., no matter what he has left in year one or two...

Am I reading this right, that he's always been collecting off of Broyhill, his job back in '08?
The only way he can continue to get any benefits with a NEW Benefit year (after June '10)would be to work another job, get laid off again and start the whole process over with a brand new year.

Last edited by KC~Carolina; 03-29-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,638 times
I have had to start looking outside NC for employment. In Wyoming looking for work.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM

29 posts, read 57,842 times
hello again all - question (and sorry if i overlooked an answer previously stated in threads...): i just recently started my tier 2 about a month ago - but my "benefit year" ends 4/3/10 (it started on 4/5/09).. i called my local office, and was told that i should file my weekly certification as usual on sunday, and then wait until tuesday, 4/6 to open a new claim (either online or by phone). i was told not to open the new claim on sunday, 4/3 because it might cause a problem with my weekly certification. i was also told that when i opened a 'new' claim i would have to go through another 'waiting week' associated with the new claim. is this correct? and should i wait until tuesday to file that new claim? as always, thanks a lot guys!!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Hi, it looks like if you file in Sept '10 for your new year, "IF" you had any work spread out from April through Sept.'09, you may be set up for a new year. Y
our quarters will be April -June'09 and July -Sept'09.
It has to be $4500.0 spread between 2 quarters.
So If you worked all the way up til you filed your claim in Sept '09., then you may be okay, even if you only had a very small portion in the last quarter.
It happened to me when I filed my 2nd benefit year this past Feb... I had a huge amount in my last quarter Oct-Dec and only a one week paycheck in Jan '09, but it was enough in 2 quarters to start a new year. Now Like me, you may have an extreme decrease in weekly benefits...?

If you can't setup a new year, you still have to file and they would pullforward any money you had left behind in whatever tier your in when your year ends.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM

11 posts, read 21,630 times
Its from this year. Last year he had one extention I think. That was all he got and it was after he had stopped getting unemployment and went back to work. He had to reapply even though he was in the same year and the new company said he quit, but he didnt, so it took 8 weeks for the appeal and all that. Then we got 8 weeks at once. His claim ended in June 06, and he reopened a new one at that time and was awarded more money then in the first claim. I dont know if he will have worked enough for a 3rd year, I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
If he qualified for extensions in this year then they will not pull forward from last year. Do you know if his tier 2 is from this year or last? I agree the job situation is CRAZY. I don't see anything coming to help either.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobegone View Post
hello again all - question (and sorry if i overlooked an answer previously stated in threads...): i just recently started my tier 2 about a month ago - but my "benefit year" ends 4/3/10 (it started on 4/5/09).. i called my local office, and was told that i should file my weekly certification as usual on sunday, and then wait until tuesday, 4/6 to open a new claim (either online or by phone). i was told not to open the new claim on sunday, 4/3 because it might cause a problem with my weekly certification. i was also told that when i opened a 'new' claim i would have to go through another 'waiting week' associated with the new claim. is this correct? and should i wait until tuesday to file that new claim? as always, thanks a lot guys!!
Yes, I would definitely advise that you wait a day or two after you file your last weekly certification for this benefit year before you open a new benefit year.

You will only have to serve a new waiting week if you have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim. If you don't have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim, then any unused extension money in your previous benefit year will be brought into your new benefit year for you to draw and you will not have to serve a new waiting week. Even if you don't think you have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new benefit year, YES, file for a new benefit year anyway to get the unused extension money in your previous benefit year transferred to the new benefit year.

Also, the base period is changing this coming Sunday because the quarter changes. Effective this coming Sunday, the base period will be all four quarters of 2009.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 21,630 times
No he never collected from Broyhill because he got a job right after he was laid off (well within a week or two and at the time he was laid off with 300 ppl so unemployment was taking a long time, and he got a job before he ever got unemployment). He was collecting from Adecco who he worked for until 2008, then got another job while he was on unemployment. I think he had been on unemployment 4-5 mths, and now is collecting on that company since they just stopped putting him on the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
The job situation is very bad., it's a hard time for so many.
However I have to say that if he's in his 2nd benefit year right now. He'll be done with UI benefits when the finish date comes in June., no matter what he has left in year one or two...

Am I reading this right, that he's always been collecting off of Broyhill, his job back in '08?
The only way he can continue to get any benefits with a NEW Benefit year (after June '10)would be to work another job, get laid off again and start the whole process over with a brand new year.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM

407 posts, read 660,773 times
JDLJR

can u update us?

last we heard PULL FORWARDS should have started happening every week
is that working now?
also are the issue with TIER 3 and TIER 4 ironed out? or close?
i ask because my 2nd year ends at the end of April
and since i DONT qualify for NEW extensions
BUT as we previously discussed, i SHOULD qualify for TIER 3 and TIER 4 (since i got max on tiers 1 and 2 on last years EU)
BUTTTTTT
since congress wont vote to extend the extensions again til MID april
and thats CUTTING IT CLOSE for me
i was hoping that maybe this mess has all been ironed out?
and will go smoother when i would be going to tier 3?
or is it still a mess?

thanks again!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobegone View Post
hi!
yes to both of your questions!
you'll wait one week UNLESS you can't setup a new year.
In that case they'll pull forward whatever remaining tier money you have from year one. If they do that, you'll have NO waitng week.
I filed the day after my weekely certification, but the way things are running slow nowadays at the ESC, I'd do just what they said and open your new year on Tuesday
Goodluck!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgem526 View Post
No he never collected from Broyhill because he got a job right after he was laid off (well within a week or two and at the time he was laid off with 300 ppl so unemployment was taking a long time, and he got a job before he ever got unemployment). He was collecting from Adecco who he worked for until 2008, then got another job while he was on unemployment. I think he had been on unemployment 4-5 mths, and now is collecting on that company since they just stopped putting him on the schedule.
Geesh, I don't know then., I still can't see how he can qualify for anything after June '10..?
Ask Jdljr, he's a rep on this thread and he can read your last post and help you with your qestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina