Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 15,567 times

Advertisements

I used up all of my regular 26 weeks of unemployment.....and this week, ending April 3rd is my last week of Tier 1 EUC... (but of course will be paid on Monday) Will I be able to get the next tier or not? It is my understanding that I am right at the deadline. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpender4636 View Post
I used up all of my regular 26 weeks of unemployment.....and this week, ending April 3rd is my last week of Tier 1 EUC... (but of course will be paid on Monday) Will I be able to get the next tier or not? It is my understanding that I am right at the deadline. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
Straight from the ESC website:

Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending March 27, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective March 28, 2010 in order to continue to receive benefits during the program phase out period. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending April 3, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier. Eligibility cannot be established for any additional tiers for weeks beginning after April 4, 2010

So going by what this says, you should just slide right into the Tier 2, you just made it!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post

Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending March 27, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective March 28, 2010 in order to continue to receive benefits during the program phase out period. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending April 3, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier. Eligibility cannot be established for any additional tiers for weeks beginning after April 4, 2010

So going by what this says, you should just slide right into the Tier 2, you just made it!

Thank you so much.....that was what I thought, but it gets so tricky trying to figure out.....

I have a question. I have found a job that will not start until June, I will only make about $100 a week, but my allowable earnings is $76.00. It is 3 days a week and better than nothing right now, what will happen though...will I lose all benefits by working? That wouldn't seem to be the case but I can't be sure. I mean I don't wont to give up $400.00 in unemployment for a job that will not put food on my table but I do want to accept anything and everything I can, until I can find full time work...thanks for any reply

Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpender4636 View Post
Thank you so much.....that was what I thought, but it gets so tricky trying to figure out.....

I have a question. I have found a job that will not start until June, I will only make about $100 a week, but my allowable earnings is $76.00. It is 3 days a week and better than nothing right now, what will happen though...will I lose all benefits by working? That wouldn't seem to be the case but I can't be sure. I mean I don't wont to give up $400.00 in unemployment for a job that will not put food on my table but I do want to accept anything and everything I can, until I can find full time work...thanks for any reply
If it's a part time side job while you're continuing to look for full time employment, you can continue to file for your UI each week. Just make sure you report your gross (before tax) earnings. Anything over $76 each week will be deducted dollar-for-dollar from your weekly benefit amount. So if you made $100 and your weekly benefit amount is $400, they would deduct $24 from your $400 each week and you'd still get a UI payment of $376.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
If it's a part time side job while you're continuing to look for full time employment, you can continue to file for your UI each week. Just make sure you report your gross (before tax) earnings. Anything over $76 each week will be deducted dollar-for-dollar from your weekly benefit amount. So if you made $100 and your weekly benefit amount is $400, they would deduct $24 from your $400 each week and you'd still get a UI payment of $376.
Thanks....hopefully this wont drag out till June, and I won't have to worry about it but Id rather be prepared!! You have been so helpful, thanks for all you do!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 100,982 times
Quote:

What about advancing to EB? I receive my last TierIV on April 20th. Any ideas? Am I done?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM

59 posts, read 169,408 times
Does anyone know about this:

Friends,

We are extremely sorry to have to tell you that Congress has gone into recess without passing the 30 day extension of the UI and COBRA programs, and that it appears extremely unlikely that the Senate will be called back into session for a vote before April 5th, when the programs expire. We have learned that the Senate has scheduled a cloture vote (a vote to end debate on the bill - they must get 60 votes to move forward) for 5:30 pm on Monday, April 12th, at which time they'll try to move the 30 day extension through as quickly as possible. Simultaneously, and we hope over the recess as well, they will be working with the House to resolve some differences in the bill that would extend these programs through the end of 2010. We are hoping that year-end extension will be firmly in place long before the end of April.

For more information on Congress' failure to act, please see our press release.

We wish we had better news for you. We have been in close contact with many of the state UI agencies and the organization that unites them all and they will be working diligently to get their programs back up and running as quickly as possible once Congress acts. We hope that for those of you who face a disruption in benefits that it will be short-lived.

A few things to remember:
-If you are in the middle of a tier of benefits, you will be able to remain on that tier and finish it out before you benefits lapse. We hope that this lapse is so short lived that a minimal number of people are impacted, though we know for those who lose benefits, the impact will be great.
-When the programs are reinstated, they will be retroactive so you will eventually receive every bit of benefits you would have had the programs not lapsed. We know that for many of you the disruption is devastating even if retroactive, so we do not mean to minimize the impact, but wanted you to all know that benefits will be retroactive.

Again, we are sorry to have to deliver this news and look forward to updating you with better news as soon as Congress re-convenes in April

In the mean time, visit our NEW action alert to get in touch with your Representatives. We are urging the Senate to act quickly upon their return to pass the 30-day extension. Be sure to have your friends and families do the same - the time is NOW - you must act so that Congress knows that they too, must act NOW.

National Employment Law Project

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhamm View Post
What about advancing to EB? I receive my last TierIV on April 20th. Any ideas? Am I done?
I think EB has a different phase out date, so if you have EB accessible to you (some people have EB in a prior benefit year but it is not accessible due to getting new, regular UI in the new benefit year) you should apply for it. If you've never received EB at all, I believe you would be eligible for it as long as you did not have a disqualification on your claim. I think all that would need to be done by a rep is a B1 (reopen your claim) to trigger EB.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterri522 View Post
Does anyone know about this:

Friends,

We are extremely sorry to have to tell you that Congress has gone into recess without passing the 30 day extension of the UI and COBRA programs, and that it appears extremely unlikely that the Senate will be called back into session for a vote before April 5th, when the programs expire. We have learned that the Senate has scheduled a cloture vote (a vote to end debate on the bill - they must get 60 votes to move forward) for 5:30 pm on Monday, April 12th, at which time they'll try to move the 30 day extension through as quickly as possible. Simultaneously, and we hope over the recess as well, they will be working with the House to resolve some differences in the bill that would extend these programs through the end of 2010. We are hoping that year-end extension will be firmly in place long before the end of April.

For more information on Congress' failure to act, please see our press release.

We wish we had better news for you. We have been in close contact with many of the state UI agencies and the organization that unites them all and they will be working diligently to get their programs back up and running as quickly as possible once Congress acts. We hope that for those of you who face a disruption in benefits that it will be short-lived.

A few things to remember:
-If you are in the middle of a tier of benefits, you will be able to remain on that tier and finish it out before you benefits lapse. We hope that this lapse is so short lived that a minimal number of people are impacted, though we know for those who lose benefits, the impact will be great.
-When the programs are reinstated, they will be retroactive so you will eventually receive every bit of benefits you would have had the programs not lapsed. We know that for many of you the disruption is devastating even if retroactive, so we do not mean to minimize the impact, but wanted you to all know that benefits will be retroactive.

Again, we are sorry to have to deliver this news and look forward to updating you with better news as soon as Congress re-convenes in April

In the mean time, visit our NEW action alert to get in touch with your Representatives. We are urging the Senate to act quickly upon their return to pass the 30-day extension. Be sure to have your friends and families do the same - the time is NOW - you must act so that Congress knows that they too, must act NOW.

National Employment Law Project
If I understood my regional claims rep correctly earlier today, she stated that eligible folks who have exhausted a tier but are waiting for the phase out date to be extended could switch over to EB for a couple weeks while awaiting the date to be extended, then once the new date is in place, they'd go back to EUC and pick up their next tier. So anyone that is caught up in Congress' failure to act should check with ESC to see if they're EB eligible and see if they can get that going for a couple weeks.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM

29 posts, read 57,633 times
Quote:
Yes, I would definitely advise that you wait a day or two after you file your last weekly certification for this benefit year before you open a new benefit year.

You will only have to serve a new waiting week if you have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim. If you don't have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new, regular UI claim, then any unused extension money in your previous benefit year will be brought into your new benefit year for you to draw and you will not have to serve a new waiting week. Even if you don't think you have enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new benefit year, YES, file for a new benefit year anyway to get the unused extension money in your previous benefit year transferred to the new benefit year.

Also, the base period is changing this coming Sunday because the quarter changes. Effective this coming Sunday, the base period will be all four quarters of 2009.
- thanks (as always), jdljr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina