Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Jdljr,
I sent an email to the esc last week to inform them that my 2nd year UI was just finished. I told them I was aware that i would NOT qualify for 2nd year EUC and that I knew I would have my remaining tier money to be pulledlforward from year one.
They called me the next day(shock) and the Customer service rep. reopened my file and said to file this Sunday.... well I checked this morning and lo and behold my claim status says, NEW ACTIVE (instead) of exhausted and it also says qualifies for EB and list my current wkly. amount I've been recieving.

Now, this all sounds good.
However my question is.....
Why am I able to get EB pulled forward? I definately do not qualify for EUC in this 2nd benefit year and my UI just ran out week ending May 29th..?
I thought we could not pullforward any 1st yr EB even though, I'm awaiting the senate vote to have my 1st yr pullforward benefits(tier2-4) kick in.

I'm scared to use it(EB) and don't want an Overpayment by using something I'm not supposed to have(Yikes)
I'm positive I don't qualify for ANY EUC in this 2nd year, so is this normal to recieve this EB that says start date May 30th...?
Thanks for your help!
Hmmm....I don't know. I hope the programmers (if you want to call them that) haven't screwed something else up while doing programming on OTHER things. NO, if you've received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you're NOT eligible for EB to be pulled forward into that benefit year.

I would (gulp) call on Monday and speak to someone and try and find out what's going on. Often though, too, what you see on the online status is not really a true picture of what's going on with the claim. Only way to really know is to get ahold of someone and have them check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Hmmm....I don't know. I hope the programmers (if you want to call them that) haven't screwed something else up while doing programming on OTHER things. NO, if you've received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you're NOT eligible for EB to be pulled forward into that benefit year.

I would (gulp) call on Monday and speak to someone and try and find out what's going on. Often though, too, what you see on the online status is not really a true picture of what's going on with the claim. Only way to really know is to get ahold of someone and have them check it out.
Yes, I'll have to do that. I know I'm not eligible for EB and as good as it sounds to get a check this weekuntil my pullforward, it seems just a tad too scary to get it and then get an Oevrpayment or something like that, just a big mess.
I had already planned for 2-3 weeks without a check until IF and when the bill gets voted in.
I certainly don't want to owe anything back at this stage(ugh)
I'm guessing no certification tomorrow, I'll wait until I speak to somebody first thing Mon
Thanks for the advice

Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
tyg

16 posts, read 75,198 times
Default New job out of state...

I accepted a new job yesterday. It's out of state & will start in about 3 weeks. I'm preparing to move. I'm very excited & relieved!!!

However - when I called ESC to tell them & ask what I should do since a) I'm moving out of state, and b) I will need to file for the next 3 weeks until I start work, the woman I spoke to confused me.

She said I had a few options:
1. Go to the ESC office and ask to fill out a form that says I obtained employment, which will waive the work search requirements & still allow me to file for the weeks until I start work. She said this can be done online, but that she didn't know how to tell me how to do that. (and I can't find how to do it online, either.)

OR

2. Just keep certifying as usual and continue to do my work search (i.e. continue applying for jobs) and then just stop filing after I start work and let my claim "just sit there."

She said that #2 would be "less confusing" and would create "less problems/issues" for me. I'm confused because somehow that doesn't seem quite right. What sorts of "problems/issues" would letting ESC know I obtained work create? And what is the right thing to do? I already have to let them know of my address change, so that I don't have to appear in person to turn in my work search records (and lose my benefits if I can't because I'm out of state). I'd rather not be worrying about my claim "hanging there," unless that is recommended.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM

131 posts, read 232,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Yes, I'll have to do that. I know I'm not eligible for EB and as good as it sounds to get a check this weekuntil my pullforward, it seems just a tad too scary to get it and then get an Oevrpayment or something like that, just a big mess.
I had already planned for 2-3 weeks without a check until IF and when the bill gets voted in.
I certainly don't want to owe anything back at this stage(ugh)
I'm guessing no certification tomorrow, I'll wait until I speak to somebody first thing Mon
Thanks for the advice
KC--just an fyi---this happened to me...well...sort of. The rep I spoke to said I would have EB pulled fwd & when I told her I was not eligible for EB & that it should be the added Tiers 3 & 4 plus wk#14. THis actually happened to me 2 or 3 times...the initial pull fwd, then another couple of times when my claim got stuck. She even told me that EB and Tier 4 were the same. THis was the Raleigh office...don;t know which one you spoke to, but based on this, I bet it may even be the same rep. I was scared of getting hit with an overpayment, too (which I DID but that was at the end of all my extensions & is a whole different issue)

Essentially, each time I questioned this, she told me she would do further investigation or speak to a supervisor & call me back. Never got any calls back but I got a whole slew (like 6y maybe) of contradictory letters wthin a 3 day span. And it always got resolved properly and I got paid from the correct pot of $$. DEFINITELY call them on Monday & be persistent that you do not qualify for EB, but, rather the additional EUC Tiers added in November 2009. Hopefully someone will LISTEN to you and get it fixed. Good luck! (IF not for jdljr I would never have understood & would have believed the rep when she said EB and Tier 4 were the same & I probably would have been responsible for a repayment which I am unable to do!).

Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 AM

13 posts, read 35,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Without actually looking at the claim, the best I can surmise is that you may have qualified for a new benefit year (because you had enough wages in the base period), but you may NOT have met the other requirement for a new benefit year, the 6x rule (worked between the date your first benefit year began and the date your first benefit year ended and earned at least $4,550 spanning two quarters within that benefit year), therefore you are not eligible for that new benefit year. Instead, a "dummy" benefit year has been set up for you to draw your remaining extension money from your first benefit year (at that benefit year's weekly benefit amount), BUT, since the EUC program has ended until extended by the Senate, you are not eligible for the EUC. Therefore, the EB kicks in until the EUC program is extended, then it will switch back over to EUC. Read your new benefit year monetary determination carefully again...is there a statement near the bottom that refers to something of the sort...that you did not work and earn at least 6x the average weekly wage, therefore you are not eligible for the 2nd benefit year? Again, this is all an assumption without looking at the claim.

Now, if this is the case and you are to begin collecting EB, you're still one of the folks that is awaiting programming to be finished in Raleigh in order to have your unused extension money brought forward to your new "dummy" benefit year. So the next time you file, you might not have a payment generated right away...just FYI.
Yes, there is a statement that says "records show you did not earn 6 times the average wage since the start of your prior claim" on the 6/2/2010 one I received Friday. On the 6/3/2010 one I received Saturday it does not say that- only says "this is a statement of your wage credits...." It shows my base period is 1/1/09-12/31/09 but my first benefit year was 5/30/09- 5/29/10? Also I received $494 first benefit year, now it says $505? Why would this statement show the weekly benefit amount, number of weeks, and max benefit if I wasn't going to get it (because of the 6x rule)?

The more I think I understand, the more confused I get.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
KC--just an fyi---this happened to me...well...sort of. The rep I spoke to said I would have EB pulled fwd & when I told her I was not eligible for EB & that it should be the added Tiers 3 & 4 plus wk#14. THis actually happened to me 2 or 3 times...the initial pull fwd, then another couple of times when my claim got stuck. She even told me that EB and Tier 4 were the same. THis was the Raleigh office...don;t know which one you spoke to, but based on this, I bet it may even be the same rep. I was scared of getting hit with an overpayment, too (which I DID but that was at the end of all my extensions & is a whole different issue)

Essentially, each time I questioned this, she told me she would do further investigation or speak to a supervisor & call me back. Never got any calls back but I got a whole slew (like 6y maybe) of contradictory letters wthin a 3 day span. And it always got resolved properly and I got paid from the correct pot of $$. DEFINITELY call them on Monday & be persistent that you do not qualify for EB, but, rather the additional EUC Tiers added in November 2009. Hopefully someone will LISTEN to you and get it fixed. Good luck! (IF not for jdljr I would never have understood & would have believed the rep when she said EB and Tier 4 were the same & I probably would have been responsible for a repayment which I am unable to do!).
Hi!,
Yes, this was Raleigh(ugh)
They called me after an email I had wrote to them, just to inform them I was at the end of my year 2 UI, stating that I knew I didn't qualify for any further EUC in year 2, but needed a pullforward from yr one of which I was in the middle of tier 2 when that year's benefits ended.
I was shocked when Raleigh called, however I missed the call by one ring(ha!)
I called immediately back and waited until I got this semi-oblivious rep, or whoever it was..?
Anyway, she said let me set you up a new year, I told her "WHOOPS", nope I 'm not needing a "New year" just a pullforward of yr one benefits.
So she told me, oh yes, that's what I meant to say.
Then she went on to tell me, I reset your claim and reopened it to pullforward what you have available at this time, and then the next morning it shows EB and at my current yr rate..???

GEESH! and also states regular active file and qualifies for EB, which I did in yr one but NOT in yr 2, because theres no way at all that I'm eligible for EUC in Yr 2.
I really hope I can manage to get somebody who knows what to do by phone tomorrow or I'm in fear my file will look like a huge mess and it will take forever to fix.
Thanks for sharing your experience., Ido remember now that you posted what you went through with all of that.
I sure hope the senate gets to it >>TOMORROW!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlib View Post
Yes, there is a statement that says "records show you did not earn 6 times the average wage since the start of your prior claim" on the 6/2/2010 one I received Friday. On the 6/3/2010 one I received Saturday it does not say that- only says "this is a statement of your wage credits...." It shows my base period is 1/1/09-12/31/09 but my first benefit year was 5/30/09- 5/29/10? Also I received $494 first benefit year, now it says $505? Why would this statement show the weekly benefit amount, number of weeks, and max benefit if I wasn't going to get it (because of the 6x rule)?

The more I think I understand, the more confused I get.
Yes...this got sent out because this is what your new benefit year would have consisted of had you met the 6x rule. Sometimes claimants HAVE returned to work and earned enough wages and met the 6x rule, but the wages have not been reported to ESC (either it wasn't time yet, or the employer failed to do so), so getting this letter in the mail alerts the claimant that they DID qualify for a new benefit year (had enough wages in the base period) but the system did not pick up on the required 6x earnings to be able to set it up. In this case the claimant would have to take proof of 6x earnings into the ESC office so that the issue could be properly adjudicated and allow for the regular UI to set up and pay.

1/1/09 - 12/31/09 is the base period for your new benefit year. You may have had enough wages to qualify for a new benefit year, but without the 6x earnings earned within that first benefit year to go along with it, you don't qualify for that 2nd benefit year.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyg View Post
I accepted a new job yesterday. It's out of state & will start in about 3 weeks. I'm preparing to move. I'm very excited & relieved!!!

However - when I called ESC to tell them & ask what I should do since a) I'm moving out of state, and b) I will need to file for the next 3 weeks until I start work, the woman I spoke to confused me.

She said I had a few options:
1. Go to the ESC office and ask to fill out a form that says I obtained employment, which will waive the work search requirements & still allow me to file for the weeks until I start work. She said this can be done online, but that she didn't know how to tell me how to do that. (and I can't find how to do it online, either.)

OR

2. Just keep certifying as usual and continue to do my work search (i.e. continue applying for jobs) and then just stop filing after I start work and let my claim "just sit there."

She said that #2 would be "less confusing" and would create "less problems/issues" for me. I'm confused because somehow that doesn't seem quite right. What sorts of "problems/issues" would letting ESC know I obtained work create? And what is the right thing to do? I already have to let them know of my address change, so that I don't have to appear in person to turn in my work search records (and lose my benefits if I can't because I'm out of state). I'd rather not be worrying about my claim "hanging there," unless that is recommended.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!
Tyg, congratulations!

Either of the options is fine to do, but like the rep said, you must continue your work searches up until you start your job to be able to qualify to certify for UI each week. Otherwise, if you can get a statement from your new employer (on company letterhead) that you can submit to ESC stating the date you are to start employment with them, ESC can waive the worksearch requirement and you can still file up until the date you start your new job.

It's less paperwork for you, ESC and your new employer if you just continue your worksearch each week in order to file, but it's whatever you want to do. If you do neither the worksearch or the letter, you shouldn't file each week.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Ok my tier 1 extension just ended. When I tried to file for this week on line I got a message that says "Our records indicate that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year".

My benefit year technically doesnt end til July. I called the local office a few weeks ago and they told me that the federal government hasnt approved to extend benefits yet and that I would likely be kicked into the state extension program. The man on the phone told me it would be seamless and I would begin my next tier. What do I need to do and will I get my second extension?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ok my tier 1 extension just ended. When I tried to file for this week on line I got a message that says "Our records indicate that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year".

My benefit year technically doesnt end til July. I called the local office a few weeks ago and they told me that the federal government hasnt approved to extend benefits yet and that I would likely be kicked into the state extension program. The man on the phone told me it would be seamless and I would begin my next tier. What do I need to do and will I get my second extension?
I answered your question on your other post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina