Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times

Advertisements

I just tried to file now and got the benefits exhausted notification. So, I'm at the end of Tier 2, just as I had thought...and now I wait on Congress. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
OK, I have been on unemployment since 1/10/10 and am 2 or 3 weeks from my regular UI running out. The senate has not passed the unemployment extension bill. Does this mean that (if the bill does not pass between now and then) when my regular UI is up in 2 to 3 weeks I will not be receiving further unemployment benefits? And if that is the case I go from a possible 2 years of unemployment benefits to just 6 months just like that? Talk about getting the rug pulled out from under you. I now may only have 2 to 3 weeks to find a job. Can they really do that? Will they? Because that is just not right.

Please tell me it ain't so.
Unfortunately, yes, that's correct. You would not be able to enter the EUC series of extensions until (when/if) the Senate extends the EUC program.

Now, if you qualify for extensions, you would also qualify for the EB extension (Extended Benefits). You could possibly draw that until (when/if) the Senate extends the EUC program. EB pays 80% of your original claim duration, so if your regular UI was for 26 weeks, your EB would be for 20 weeks (80% of 26). Now, if you have any disqualification on your claim related to your separation from employment (quit or a fire) you would not be eligible for EB. You would need to contact someone at ESC to find out if you're eligible for EB. If you are, they would need to do a "B1 NIE" transaction after you exhaust your regular UI to build the EB.

Couple other things...no one is guaranteed two years of unemployment. It's ALL based on work and earnings in the base period. Some folks qualify for only the minimum 13 weeks of regular unemployment, then don't qualify for extensions. Others qualify for the maximum 26 weeks of regular UI and then qualify for extensions. Others fall somewhere in between. What you would qualify for would depend mostly on what's in your base period, plus whether you'd had any separation disqualification. Also keep in mind that what you may qualify for now, you may not receive if, by the time you get to certain extension programs, they're no longer available.

And lastly "Can they really do that? Will they?" Well, if by "they" you mean ESC...ESC has no choice. The ESC has zero fault in the current bottleneck of benefits. If the extensions aren't there to pay the money, they aren't there. It's all based on legislation. And if by "they" you mean Congress...well, Congress does whatever they want, seemingly. Congress rarely treats anything with a sense of urgency.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzbeth2500 View Post
Myh husband filed today and was told he has 2 weeks or less before his benefits are exhausted-this would put him at the end of Tier III. He has not gotten the 1 week of Tier II, or Tier IV. Just would like some clarification that until the senate passes the extension (if they pass it) he will not get either? The 14th week of Tier II included? I guess I am confused because I thought he would get that since he already finished Tier II...
I'm not 100% certain, but he MAY get that "14th week" after his Tier 3 since that technically is part of a Tier that you've already drawn from. But for sure he could not get Tier 4.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM

And now I've read Harry Reid saying that there are NO PLANS to put together another jobless extension bill for now and that this passed third attempt was the last. They didn't even try to have the whole thing paid for...they didn't even try for the standalone bill...instead, we get the soundbytes that I said would be made..."Don't look at us...it's the other guys' fault." While the other side is starting with the "Don't look at us...it's the other guys' fault."

But the bottom line here is, they knew they weren't going to get the support needed to pass if it tacked on more debt. If they actually cared about the unemployed as they say they do with their fancy soundbytes...they would've done everything in their power to compromise and work out a deal to ultimately get the bill passed. But they didn't.

You think foreclosures, delinquencies, and bankruptcies are out of control now? Heh...just wait a few months...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 AM

28 posts, read 54,087 times
I am on my 2nd year filing I just started EUC in May 2010. Will I qualify for Tier 2, 3 or 4? I am very confused at how long I will draw. I have received around 52 weeks of unemployment so far.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:53 AM

108 posts, read 160,640 times
Thanks jdljr. I was referring to congress, not the ESC. I know all this is completely out of the ESC's hands. I can't believe they would play politics on something this important. Then again, I guess it is not too surprising since that is all they seem to ever do. It is all about trying to make the other party look bad. But this is people's lives that they are playing with.

I worked 27 years (21 straight years of which in the restaurant management business) and was let go December 2009 (Merry Christmas!) because of the economy and the company's sales being way down. They were getting rid of all their older managers that had been around a while and were making pretty good money. I was the last to go and was replaced by a 21 year old kid that I am sure makes substantially less than what I was making. This is the state of the restaurant business now. They are hiring younger people and paying them less.

Sorry...off on a tangent. But I am now officially scared. My wife and I have a baby due in October and needless to say I am worried.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 AM

108 posts, read 160,640 times
Question: I was thinking that the first 2 extensions after the regular UI were state funded extensions and may not be affected by congress not passing the federal unemployment extensions bill. Is this the case? Or is it all lumped in together somehow?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM

For those paying attention...upon the news that Harry Reid will not push for another bill that includes extending benefits for the jobless...Olympia Snowe has sent a letter to the Senate majority leader, urging him and the democrats to put together a standalone bill for the unemployed. She's even making it clear that a standalone bill for the unemployed will pass, just put it together and let's vote. Unfortunately, Reid's spokesperson came out and said that Snowe should've sent the letter to her own party and not Reid because it was the Republicans who killed the extension.

The fact that Snowe is speaking out makes me happy...and I suspect she is right in saying the support is there for a standalone bill. But Reid will continue to hold the unemployed hostage because they wouldn't support his much bigger bill through, that is rumored to have had over $30 billion in foreign aid tied to it.

This is mind-boggling.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,606 times
Heh - here we go - I'm adding Reid to my list of faxes - he's gotta play ball with what Snow proposes!!! Thanks for this news, Frrrunkis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
For those paying attention...upon the news that Harry Reid will not push for another bill that includes extending benefits for the jobless...Olympia Snowe has sent a letter to the Senate majority leader, urging him and the democrats to put together a standalone bill for the unemployed. She's even making it clear that a standalone bill for the unemployed will pass, just put it together and let's vote. Unfortunately, Reid's spokesperson came out and said that Snowe should've sent the letter to her own party and not Reid because it was the Republicans who killed the extension.

The fact that Snowe is speaking out makes me happy...and I suspect she is right in saying the support is there for a standalone bill. But Reid will continue to hold the unemployed hostage because they wouldn't support his much bigger bill through, that is rumored to have had over $30 billion in foreign aid tied to it.

This is mind-boggling.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvestal View Post
I am on my 2nd year filing I just started EUC in May 2010. Will I qualify for Tier 2, 3 or 4? I am very confused at how long I will draw. I have received around 52 weeks of unemployment so far.
If you received Tier 1 until recently, you should receive Tier 2, 3, and 4 if an extension to the EUC program is passed. If not, and you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you wouldn't qualify for EB (Extended Benefits). If you did not receive regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you may qualify for some EB benefits. You'd have to contact your local office or the remote service center to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina