Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 03:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbig View Post
so my benefits were exhausted on june 16 last month, and i went ahead and filed a new claim. luckily i was approved for extended benefits. now my initial benefit year has come to an end on july 17th. I tried to file my claim today only to receive a message stating that my benefit year has ended, even though i still have a good chunk left in my extended benefits account. would a call to the esc office correct this issue or would i have to file for a new claim yet again? I was just under the impression that having been approved for extended benefits i wouldnt need to worry about my benefit year coming to an end.

any help would be greatly appreciated
When a benefit year ends, no matter how much money someone has left in whichever program; no matter how many weeks someone has left in whichever program; and no matter how short of a time someone has been in whichever program, your ability to collect unemployment benefits comes to an end. A benefit year is good for just that - a year. After the 52-week period of time has passed, in order to continue filing for unemployment, you must file for a new benefit year which will begin another 52-week period of time. Be clear, however, that just because the benefit year sets up for 52-weeks does not mean that you will be eligible for benefits for that entire 52-week period. Duration of benefits hinges entirely on work and earnings in the base period, and legislation governing the different programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyh00k View Post
Adjudication is an ESC process whereby the ECS puts your unemployment checks on hold until they resolve an issue. The issue can be anything, even an honest mistake such as checking "No" on box for " Did you refuse work this week?" During the adjudication process the unemployed person can not get any answers from ESC other than status. You can not contact the adjudicators or pass along key information that could resolve the issue. Be very careful when you fill out your unemployment claim on-line, as one slip can put you into the Adjudication process, putting your unemployment check on hold for a few months.
Just to clarify, if it's an honest mistake when doing the weekly certification, usually it does not have to go through the adjudication process. Usually an error during weekly certification can be what's called "4-98'd" by someone and it will resolve the issue that night and release the payment that night.

The overall majority of claims in adjudication are those with a bonafide quit or termination issue. There are others, too, for failure to appear for a worksearch review, bonafide availability issues, etc. But for a mix-up during weekly certification, it usually does not require formal adjudication.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 15,000 times
ty gingymom and jdljr

to jdljr-i actually followed your advice from another thread and another post on this thread. since my new claim is with my employer from my first benefit year and it had already been adjudicated and resolved in my favor, i refiled online as lack of work. I am pretty sure i won't be eligible for second year benefits, but i am hoping to have the remainder of my extended benefits pulled-forward in what you called a "dummy" account. I resubmitted my new claim online earlier this afternoon, and will check tomorrow to see if there are any issues, etc.

and i just want to point out how appreciative i am for all of the information you've relayed on these threads. you have done an outstanding job of making the most complicated aspects of unemployment benefits much easier to understand. thank you again.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 10,548 times
Default Not sure how to file for 2nd benefits year

I have just reached the end of my 1st benefit year, and rec'd the message "Your benefits are exhausted for benefit year ending 7/31/2010". I just tried to file for another benefit year, and got confused and backed out. It had listed my former company (will call "Company A"), and my piddly little part time job (will call "Company B"), and I was supposed to select which one I had worked at last. My unemployment benefits are coming from "Company A", as I worked there 20+ years before losing my job. I hardly make enough money at "Company B" to fill my gas tank, but have been entering the earnings each week when filing for my unemployment. If I select "Company B" since I am currently still working my 6 hours per week, is that going to mess up my 2nd year benefit filing? Is "Company B" going to have anything to do with this new 2nd year claim I am opening??? I just backed out of the claim process, as I was afraid to do anything. I am a newby here, and would appreciate any information. I might also add that I have not received any EB; as I was probably at the end of my Tier 1. Thanks for any information that anyone can provide...........

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,172 times
Need help, I started my UE (26 wks): 6/8/09 & ended 11/30/09. Started my 1st Tier (20 wks): 11/31/09 & ended 4/9/10. Started my 2nd Tier (14 wks) 4/20/10 and ends 8/4/10 will be last check. {during 2nd tier, i ended my year, reapplied and denied due to lack of $ made in begin of 2009.} SO before H.R. 4213 passed I THINK that would been last check on aug 4th. NOW since it has passed, will I be able to go onto Tier 3 and possibly 4? Anyone know, please help. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziedouglas View Post
Need help, I started my UE (26 wks): 6/8/09 & ended 11/30/09. Started my 1st Tier (20 wks): 11/31/09 & ended 4/9/10. Started my 2nd Tier (14 wks) 4/20/10 and ends 8/4/10 will be last check. {during 2nd tier, i ended my year, reapplied and denied due to lack of $ made in begin of 2009.} SO before H.R. 4213 passed I THINK that would been last check on aug 4th. NOW since it has passed, will I be able to go onto Tier 3 and possibly 4? Anyone know, please help. Thanks!
Yes, you should be able to reach Tier 3 and 4, and possibly EB.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:45 PM

407 posts, read 660,865 times
JDLJR question? there is an article in the GREENSBORO NEWS AND RECORD today, (page B3 "NC Vows Quick Aid For Jobless") where it quotes ESC Chairwoman Lynn Holmes saying "About 100,000 claims will be processed immediately, and the agency will need to verify that about 20,000 are still eligible". The article goes on to quote her saying that "the vast majority of those people can begin to see their patment late next week".

Have you heard anything to that affect? the last I heard was 2-6 weeks, but ms holmes seems to indicate that most will be processed towards the end of the week?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
JDLJR question? there is an article in the GREENSBORO NEWS AND RECORD today, (page B3 "NC Vows Quick Aid For Jobless") where it quotes ESC Chairwoman Lynn Holmes saying "About 100,000 claims will be processed immediately, and the agency will need to verify that about 20,000 are still eligible". The article goes on to quote her saying that "the vast majority of those people can begin to see their patment late next week".

Have you heard anything to that affect? the last I heard was 2-6 weeks, but ms holmes seems to indicate that most will be processed towards the end of the week?
As is the case much of the time, ESC news is seemingly better found in the media than from ESC itself! I had heard something similar on the news last night. When I first saw the 2-6 week comment, I thought that was excessive, knowing that the last two times the phase out date was changed it took 3-4 days. And this is a similar circumstance, with only the phase out date being changed, NOT a NEW extension being implemented.

Time will tell, but hopefully as the week goes on we'll hear more in our offices about what's expected from the local offices and what Raleigh will be doing.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 35,466 times
So i have been reading the back post's here and still had a question regarding the 1.5 times the highest quarter. I am on my 2nd benefit year which i qualified for a new claim at a smaller amount and am 6 weeks away from exhausting regular benefit's on this 2nd claim , I was thinking that i should be eligible for Tier 1 again on the new benefit year. My earnings on this claim = $8900.00 total with $5300.00 in 1 quarter and $3600.00 in another quarter and no earnings in the last 2 quarters. I think by my calculation's that i would need at least $5300 * 1.5 = $8100 to qualify. So as far as i can tell i would surpass that amount by $800.00. I just wanted to get some input if that is correct or i am missing something.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley69 View Post
So i have been reading the back post's here and still had a question regarding the 1.5 times the highest quarter. I am on my 2nd benefit year which i qualified for a new claim at a smaller amount and am 6 weeks away from exhausting regular benefit's on this 2nd claim , I was thinking that i should be eligible for Tier 1 again on the new benefit year. My earnings on this claim = $8900.00 total with $5300.00 in 1 quarter and $3600.00 in another quarter and no earnings in the last 2 quarters. I think by my calculation's that i would need at least $5300 * 1.5 = $8100 to qualify. So as far as i can tell i would surpass that amount by $800.00. I just wanted to get some input if that is correct or i am missing something.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Yes, this is correct. You should begin again with Tier 1 EUC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina