Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 AM

193 posts, read 285,840 times

Advertisements

im so confused. this whole retro thing and 2nd yr stuff.. ugh.

my 2nd yr started 2/26/10.. i qualified for 13 weeks of UI. I remember getting my letter in the mail stating my base wages .. i last work q4 2008 and q1 2009.. total 15k.. u think i have anything to worry about??????? i dont wanna even attempt to call them because of my history.. or lead me to where i need to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 AM

330 posts, read 460,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
It would be my guess that if the 2nd benefit year is reversed, then whatever should have happened before that would then happen, including a pullforward of any unused EUC or EB. Reminder, though, EB still can't be collected if there is a disqualification in the year that the EB is based off of.

As as you've eluded to, EB couldn't be pulled forward into a 2nd benefit year if someone had received regular UI in that 2nd benefit year. So I have sometimes told folks that NOT meeting the 6x rule was not necessarily a BAD thing, because if they had the new benefit year set up for them and collected regular UI they couldn't get their unused EB for which they may have qualified on the previous benefit year...whereas if they did not meet the 6x and qualify for the new, regular UI in the 2nd benefit year, they could still have their EB pulled forward. And sometimes it was more beneficial to folks not to meet the 6x rule, because their new weekly benefit amount in the 2nd benefit year was less than their previous benefit year. So getting the unused extensions, including EB, from the previous benefit year at the higher weekly benefit amount was better for them.
yes, i think i would get a few more weeks benefits because in year one, i was getting the maximum duration in each Tier. thats not so much what i'm concerned about. what i'm concerned about is that i'm in a period with no delays, and if/when this is implemented, it will be devastating to be told, We're stopping payments til we get the timeline straightened out on our system, and we'll need 2 weeks.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM

330 posts, read 460,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post

my 2nd yr started 2/26/10.. i qualified for 13 weeks of UI. I remember getting my letter in the mail stating my base wages .. i last work q4 2008 and q1 2009.. total 15k.. u think i have anything to worry about??????? i dont wanna even attempt to call them because of my history.. or lead me to where i need to read
you ll want to go back to page 294 and read those comments. it isnt just about base period earnings.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:42 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post

As sad and sickening as it is, all of us that started an 2nd benefit year after Jan 1 2010, will all be affected by this!
It doesn't have anything to do with our base period wages or the fact that ESC gave us UI, tier1-4 or EB in a new year., the fact is they've decided to retro the 6x rule out of the blue ,back to the Jan 1 '10 date and are running a program in the next week or two to identify (us) .
Supposedly the number of people in NC affected is 40,000. We're still just guessing at what will hapen when we get "THE LETTER" of overpayment .
If you earned $4557.00 in your first benefit year while you collected benefits from (example part time work) you would have met the 6 x rule.

So the question is this......
Will they pullforard our left over monies (IF ANY) from year one to offset the amount owed?
If they do, will EB pullforward or what will happen?

Jdljr told us about this a few days ago and has said we'd be able to file a waiver for OP's.
However some may still not have a leftover balance to collect on weekly. I'm sure 99% of people aren't prepared for this to happen., sure wish they could have at least sent out a letter preparing people so their lifeline isn't just swept away overnight.
I'm planning on calling the news stations as soon as I recieve the letter to get the news .
I believe this is so wrong on every level!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 PM

131 posts, read 232,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
As sad and sickening as it is, all of us that started an 2nd benefit year after Jan 1 2010, will all be affected by this!
It doesn't have anything to do with our base period wages or the fact that ESC gave us UI, tier1-4 or EB in a new year., the fact is they've decided to retro the 6x rule out of the blue ,back to the Jan 1 '10 date and are running a program in the next week or two to identify (us) .
Supposedly the number of people in NC affected is 40,000. We're still just guessing at what will hapen when we get "THE LETTER" of overpayment .
If you earned $4557.00 in your first benefit year while you collected benefits from (example part time work) you would have met the 6 x rule.

Will they pullforard our left over monies (IF ANY) from year one to offset the amount owed?

Jdljr told us about this a few days ago and has said we'd be able to file a waiver for OP's.
However some may still not have a leftover balance to collect on weekly. I'm sure 99% of people aren't prepared for this to happen., sure wish they could have at least sent out a letter preparing people so their lifeline isn't just swept away overnight.
I'm planning on calling the news stations as soon as I recieve the letter to get the news .
Wow. I feel for you & all others this will impact, KC. You're right. This is just so wrong. I don't think I'm impacted since my yr#2 began at the end of Oct. last year. If this rule was on the books all this time, why did they just suddenly decide to enforce it & make it retro? We know about this thanks to jdljr & this thread. Imagine those who this will hit TOTALLY by surprise. Granted this isn;t much warning but more than most will get, I'm sure. I'm betting there will be a HUGE stink over this & I'm wondering what kind of political posturing it will result in. Awfully close to November! I'm curious to know exactly WHO is responsible for deciding to do the about face & start enforcing a rule that most are unaware ever existed!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post

For what it's worth, it wasn't ESC that "decided to retro the 6x rule out of the blue". It was the DOL telling ESC that we had to do it, as far as I am aware. The 6x rule isn't just a NC thing, it's a federal thing and ESC is coming into compliance with federal regulations.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:33 AM

20 posts, read 26,899 times
Default Realllly Confused

Wish I had found this forum earlier, looks like there are a lot of answers and some good support. My 1st benefit year ended Sunday. I had 26 weeks regular UIC and 20 (or maybe just 19) weeks of Tier 1.

you know the only time i saw someone face-to-face was when I first applied. I got almost one years worth of work search records to dump on somebdoy (lol).

My question(s)> Do I need to file a new claim and can I do this online? I understand that Tier 2 is `13 weeks, which would push me to the extension deadline of Nov 27th then I guess I am done??

On another note... man...I am 57 years old...hard for me to even get in the door to talk. i know there are a lot of hurt and afraid people in our country so I won't bore you with my story...

But any info pertaining to my questions would be really appreciated.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM

28 posts, read 54,092 times
jdljr, I haven't been on in a while but I have a question. With the bill that passed in August(I think) will that extend everyones unemployment? I have been drawing approx 68 weeks. My 2nd benefit year ends 1/23/11. I am currently on Tier 1 I believe. Will I get Tier 2-4? I heard of 99rs but I am not sure what that is. Does everyone who qualifies for the max draw for 99 weeks? I am confused and my unemployment may stop in November. I am currently in school and will get my degree in May. If I draw through January 22nd I will be fine but if not I will lose my house.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 8,488 times
I have worked in the construction industry all my life and this is the worse I have ever seen!
My 2nd benefit year ends first week of November and my 99 week max is in October. Do folks like me that run out of benefits... max out our 99 weeks just fall off the map? Jobs are not even close to coming back yet.
I know there are alot of people out there in my same situation. I am very concerned.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth2816 View Post
Wish I had found this forum earlier, looks like there are a lot of answers and some good support. My 1st benefit year ended Sunday. I had 26 weeks regular UIC and 20 (or maybe just 19) weeks of Tier 1.

you know the only time i saw someone face-to-face was when I first applied. I got almost one years worth of work search records to dump on somebdoy (lol).

My question(s)> Do I need to file a new claim and can I do this online? I understand that Tier 2 is `13 weeks, which would push me to the extension deadline of Nov 27th then I guess I am done??

On another note... man...I am 57 years old...hard for me to even get in the door to talk. i know there are a lot of hurt and afraid people in our country so I won't bore you with my story...

But any info pertaining to my questions would be really appreciated.
HI!,
yep you can find most of your answers somehwere in all of these pages. However it does take time to search through it all (ha)
Well I think I can help you here.
You can file for a new 2nd year online.
No matter what ,you'll need to try to establish a new 2nd year.
If that doesn't go through, they'll send you a letter and will also set up what they call a (dummy) year., which is actually a pullforward of the benefits you had remaining in your first year... looks like you'd be starting your tier 2.
That would take you to the Nov 27th deadline, then actually everything will be up in the air as far as all of that goes.
But for now euc08 program is set to end on that date.
Of course you can finish out your tier that your in , even if it surpasses that deadline.
If your able to establish a new year, then you'll start with a new round of UI and also will have to serve your waiting week allover again
Goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina