Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
Congress is getting closer to an extension. Rep Senator Orrin Hatch is even for it.
Really?
Well that would be great!!!!
I need to go in and turn the news on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
13 month extension! Wow. It's part of the Bush Tax Cut deal. It's definitely a promising step towards future private sector job growth. It's a baby step...but promising step nonetheless.

It doesn't benefit me, but it helps alot of the people behind me which is great to see.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM

10 posts, read 18,348 times
Have a friend laid off a month prior to me at the same company...we are in different tiers. She is on EB & got a message today when she went to certify. Message said pending eligibility verification. Any ideas?

Also, saw on the news the new extension could be 13 months. So what does that mean for those of us who are coming up on their 99 weeks? I am registered at not 1 or 2 but 5 temp agencies...they have nothing and not expecting anything til maybe the spring to pick up. At one agency last week they had over 1000 people apply for one job. Trying to stay positive...

Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove3y3s View Post
Have a friend laid off a month prior to me at the same company...we are in different tiers. She is on EB & got a message today when she went to certify. Message said pending eligibility verification. Any ideas?

Also, saw on the news the new extension could be 13 months. So what does that mean for those of us who are coming up on their 99 weeks? I am registered at not 1 or 2 but 5 temp agencies...they have nothing and not expecting anything til maybe the spring to pick up. At one agency last week they had over 1000 people apply for one job. Trying to stay positive...
It means absolutely nothing, unfortunately...it just allows others behind us to continue to get to 99 weeks. But there is a bit of a silver lining, in that, part of the "deal" includes both temporary cuts to social security taxes and payroll taxes in 2011. Small business, and the private sector in general, has some vision now of what's to come within the next 2 years, and they now know that their taxes won't be going up. It "may" just be enough for them to have the desire to take risks and expand their business by adding staff. I think the healthcare overhaul still puts alot of them in a "wait and see" approach to 2011-12...but at least there's some promise there. I didn't want to get all crazy and loony, but I envisioned a pretty substantial economic crisis within the next 2-5 years with the way we were headed with the expiration of all tax cuts, Obamacare, and Wall St reform...which we know very little about. This deal might not prevent it, but it lessens the severity of it.

This, by the way, is all up in the air though. I just heard a few progressive house democrats balk at the notion of supporting this deal. Even with the year long extension of UI benefits...they do not want to extend the tax cuts to people making $250K+ and they do not want these other perks like the reduction in payroll and social security taxes. Obama is taking alot of heat for this from his far left base, while the centrists and moderates are willing to embrace it. I think it's the right deal to make and if Obama plans on having any chance of getting re-elected...this deal is necessary.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM

193 posts, read 285,832 times
thats awesome!

Whew.

Yes CALI is worst than NC. I read today that CA is 14.8% and I believe it. Where I live, Twentynine Palms, is in the desert. Google it. lol. There is nothing here. And on the base, you would figure that they would help Military Spouses find jobs but it's quite the opposite. It's the "i know you" game.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM

330 posts, read 460,836 times
Opack has it right.
this wont be new money. it wont be new Tiers. it will allow the person laid off a year ago to get about another year of benefits.
itll allow the person laid off 6 months ago to start their EUC Tiers.

the payroll tax cut will be from 6.2% to 4.2% as it stands now.

and the Earned Income Tax Credit, which i think is at $1000 per child, would continue.

is it a "compromise"? thats debatable.
if the payroll tax cut stimulates job growth, maybe it works out. but the Bush tax cuts represent hundreds of millions in lost revenue for the govt, hundreds of millions that cant be applied immediately to the deficit.
and its estimated some 4 million people will still drop off the back end of unemployment benefits over the course of the next year.

its going to be an interesting 2 years.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM

I got my second work search review appt in the mail today. Scheduled for the 17th. Now, if you remember my story...my first appointment was cancelled (or "fulfilled") because they gave me the online supplemental questions on the same week of my appt. I had to make about 4 separate calls and send one e-mail (the one where he called me "Mrs." ) in order for them to tell me that I wasn't supposed to show up for my appointment. The rep then told me that my next appointment would be December 17th...so I knew well in advance that I would have an appt on the 17th.

When I asked her if I would get the supplemental questions for that week again...she said she had no clue. And she couldn't tell me if that appointment would be "fulfilled" if I get supplemental questions.

So...if I don't get the questions...I'll assume I have an appointment. If I do get the questions...I may have to do this "telephone" dance again.

Nonetheless...I've got like, 2 or 3 weeks of EB left since they ransacked it during the overpayment debacle. It's almost not even worth it, since I should be continuing to focus on what the heck I'm gonna do when the benefits stop. I'm now hopeful I can get into the new Walmart in Triangle Town Center, Raleigh. I sent them my resume, and they're hiring some 400 people who start in the coming months. I did hear some rumor that "thousands" of people have applied already. Hoh boy.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 AM

330 posts, read 460,836 times
^yeah, good luck getting a job you really need, but for an awful company to work for. what happened to that telecommunications business?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I got my second work search review appt in the mail today. Scheduled for the 17th. Now, if you remember my story...my first appointment was cancelled (or "fulfilled") because they gave me the online supplemental questions on the same week of my appt. I had to make about 4 separate calls and send one e-mail (the one where he called me "Mrs." ) in order for them to tell me that I wasn't supposed to show up for my appointment. The rep then told me that my next appointment would be December 17th...so I knew well in advance that I would have an appt on the 17th.

When I asked her if I would get the supplemental questions for that week again...she said she had no clue. And she couldn't tell me if that appointment would be "fulfilled" if I get supplemental questions.

So...if I don't get the questions...I'll assume I have an appointment. If I do get the questions...I may have to do this "telephone" dance again.

Nonetheless...I've got like, 2 or 3 weeks of EB left since they ransacked it during the overpayment debacle. It's almost not even worth it, since I should be continuing to focus on what the heck I'm gonna do when the benefits stop. I'm now hopeful I can get into the new Walmart in Triangle Town Center, Raleigh. I sent them my resume, and they're hiring some 400 people who start in the coming months. I did hear some rumor that "thousands" of people have applied already. Hoh boy.
Same thing happened to me last Friday. I had the review date., got the supplemental questions, answered them, then called 2 days later to see if I fullfilled my review. They said you need to go to the review with your job search yadda ,yadda .
So I head down to the local., job searches in hand early Friday morning waited 15 minutes for the worker at he front desk to key me in, look at my page and tell me, "You fullfilled your review with the questions online"... ugh
I asked her "So can you copy the pages I have, or what?" she said no, theres no need to to.... BIG UGH!

I can see that I'll probably go through this again at the start of Jan

Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
Opack has it right.
this wont be new money. it wont be new Tiers. it will allow the person laid off a year ago to get about another year of benefits.
itll allow the person laid off 6 months ago to start their EUC Tiers.

the payroll tax cut will be from 6.2% to 4.2% as it stands now.

and the Earned Income Tax Credit, which i think is at $1000 per child, would continue.

is it a "compromise"? thats debatable.
if the payroll tax cut stimulates job growth, maybe it works out. but the Bush tax cuts represent hundreds of millions in lost revenue for the govt, hundreds of millions that cant be applied immediately to the deficit.
and its estimated some 4 million people will still drop off the back end of unemployment benefits over the course of the next year.

its going to be an interesting 2 years.
Do you recall "Ca11" stating a month or so ago on this thread , that a rep told her that if you still have x number of EB weeks left at the end of your benefit year, you can try to open a 3rd year and have the x amt. of EB weeks pulled forward....?
Well it doesn't sound correct to me, but I am curious who else has been told this ect....
Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina