Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 21,485 times

Advertisements

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 676 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

Just got the email this morning. We have a bill ( H676 ) in front of the General Assembly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM

264 posts, read 363,834 times
I just read the bill at:

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 676 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

I can't say I understand it. Specifically paragraphs I and II under Section 1 seem to be stating 2 conditions that must be true in order for EB benefits to be triggered. Paragraph I seems to be talking about the Insured Unemployment Rate (IUR) and Paragraph II is discussing the Total Unemployment Rate (TUR). My understanding of this is very murky, but what I thought I understood based on what I've read from the U.S. Department of Labor website and also the National Employment Law Project -- their link is here:

National Employment Law Project

is that states could use EITHER the IUR OR the TUR rates to trigger the EB benefits. IUR is a more difficult route to an EB trigger. Now, this proposed bill is stating that BOTH conditions must be true in order for EB to click on? And that the comparison of the current IUR is to EACH of the past 3 years, not just to ANY of the past 3 years?

I know I'm missing something because they would not propose a bill that did absolutely nothing.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:02 PM

187 posts, read 259,101 times
Our IUR for the past 2 or 3 years remains at 9.7%. Technically, it's the TUR that needs to change which is 106% based on a 2-year lookback, as opposed to 196% based on a three-year lookback, thus satisfying the federal requirement. That's what this bill is aimed to do, increase the TUR to a 3-year lookback.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM

264 posts, read 363,834 times
I believe that the 9.7% is our TUR -- Total Unemployment Rate. I think it's the ratio of all unemployed individuals actively seeking work, whether receiving unemployment benefits or not, to the total labor force. The EB trigger requires that this TUR be 110% of one of the past 2 years. We want to change the look back to one of the past 3 years.

The IUR -- Insured Unemployment Rate -- is what I'm not clear about. I believe it's the ratio of recipients of unemployment benefits to the total labor force? And the proposed bill is requiring that the current IUR increase to 120% of EACH of the past 3 years in order to trigger EB benefits?

If anybody has a clear understanding of this IUR business, I'd appreciate them posting an explanation.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:15 PM

187 posts, read 259,101 times
Does anyone have any information on when H676 is to be taken into consideration? I would also like to urge everyone to contact Representative Wainwright and personally thank him for his introduction of the bill. His email is William.Wainwright@ncleg.net

Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM

40 posts, read 65,339 times
or you can leave a message
at 252-447-7379
which I just did.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 16,330 times
@Joe53- As I understand it, this applies only to Extended Benefits (or EB). This is (again, if I understand it correctly) something you have to specifically apply for once you exhaust all the regular tiers.

I have questions about this that I will put in another post, but for you (and me!), the April 16th deadline won't change anything. Keep checking the status of your claim when you file your weekly cert. You can see how much money is left and when your year ends.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,330 times
I have a few questions about EB and # of weeks as it stands now if anyone can help?

Is it still 99 weeks of benefits and THEN you get EB? Or is it 79 weeks and the EB takes you to 99 weeks? So at this point, in NC we are down to 79 weeks total? (this will be July for me and as a teacher, even if I get a job for next year, I'll be screwed for 2 months!)

Does any of this change/matter if you moved to "year 2" status as opposed to an extended (or whatever the alternative is) claim? I didn't know there was anything else besides a "year 2" until I found this board. My status says my year ends Feb 10th, 2012, but that would give me a total of 100 weeks!

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 28,967 times
CEMMY----------

EB benefits STARTS after your 79 weeks. So its currently only 79 weeks since EB is ending April 16th.

Im not sure about your year 2 question.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 28,967 times
Im currently on Tier 2, just started two weeks ago but Im still very concerned about this. I have contacted everyone on the links above. I understand because I need all the benefits I can until I receive a job so cutting out EB will affect me EVENTUALLY if I havent found work when I run out of Tier 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina