Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin Vande Hei View Post
I received a letter stating my benefit year is ending and with the wage information they have I am not eligible. They are only noting my last employer. I have worked continuously for more than 20 years . My last year job I was only there for a year and that is who I have been drawing off of but previous to that I was at my other job for 10 years. No breaks in between. Do I just need to call in and give them my second employers information. And then will I be eligible to draw off of that employer?
No.

You cannot draw unemployment off of your 20 years of working. Unemployment is based on wages in a "base period". Right now the base period is the last three quarters of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009. This will change beginning Oct 5th. to be the last two quarters of 2008 and the first two quarters of 2009. Once the base period moves beyond a certain quarter, that quarter is out of reach to use toward establishing a claim.

When you file a claim, it will be based on what the base period is at that time. Any wages earned prior to the base period cannot be counted toward establishing a claim. And once those quarter's wages have been used to establish a claim, they cannot be used again.

With that said, if you should have wages in the base period but they are not showing up, the ESC can do a "wage protest" to get those wages added to the appropriate quarters. Maybe your employer didn't report them. Maybe they reported them erroneously under the wrong social security number. Whatever the case, if you have wages that are missing that would otherwise enable you to file a claim, they need to be corrected.

If you don't have wages in the current base period, then no, you wouldn't qualify to file a new regular unemployment claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Guys, make sure you are having taxes taken out of your UE benefits...it counts as income.
The first $2400 of unemployment is not federally taxable in 2009, compliments of the stimulus package. I think the state of NC will still tax the entire amount though. MOST people will draw an amount that will far exceed $2400, so yes, it would be a good idea to have the taxes withheld unless you can afford to come up with the taxes you'll owe to Uncle Sam.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 43,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Thank you so very much for your explanations. It is almost impossible to get through to NCESC and you really help flesh out the info available from the web site.

Can you check my logic on the following:

I originally qualified for 26 weeks at NC maximum payment.

My benefit year ends 11/21/2009. I am on EUC08 Tier 1 right now, it will switch over to Tier 2 around early/mid October. I have calculated that I will get 13 weeks (50% of original 26 weeks) of Tier 2.

I understand now that I must open a new claim on 11/21/09 to continue to receive the Tier 2 benefits. I have calculated my wages earned in Q32008, Q42008, Q12009, Q22009, and find that my high quarter was $14250, divide that by 26 and I get $548, so I should continue to get the NC maximum payment.

So, what happens if/when I run out of those 13 weeks of Tier 2? The federal kicks in? I am desperately seeking work but it keeps the anxiety level down a bit if I have an idea of what might happen re unemployment benefits.

Thank you again, you deserve a medal!
Did you receive 20 weeks of Tier 1 after your initial 26 weeks ran out? The local ESC told me I'll receive 13 weeks of Tier 1. From what I'm reading, however, I think it'll be 20 weeks. My original claim was 26 weeks, and I do qualify based on the equation for EUC08. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydilly View Post
Did you receive 20 weeks of Tier 1 after your initial 26 weeks ran out? The local ESC told me I'll receive 13 weeks of Tier 1. From what I'm reading, however, I think it'll be 20 weeks. My original claim was 26 weeks, and I do qualify based on the equation for EUC08. Thanks!
I received 20 weeks of Tier 1 after the initial 26 weeks (80% of 26 weeks = 20 weeks).

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,019 times
my benifit year ends on oct 31 i know that there is no money left for them to go into for a new claim does that mean that i am just out of luck or is it possible that since my second tier of extension will run out before my benifit year does that i will get another extension?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookeland46901 View Post
my benifit year ends on oct 31 i know that there is no money left for them to go into for a new claim does that mean that i am just out of luck or is it possible that since my second tier of extension will run out before my benifit year does that i will get another extension?
If you don't have enough wages in the base period to set a new regular UI claim, then you should attempt a new claim anyway, and they will set up a new benefit year for you to go back and draw any remaining money left on your previous claim.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,005 times
Just a question. I cant seem get a straight answer from anyone. I was disqualified for the first 13 weeks of unemployment. I was told I did not qualify for any of the extention programs. I am at my wits end with this whole thing. My benefits run out in a couple of weeks and I have no answer, no job, no job on the horizon....nothing! Could someone help me find the answer. thax dk

Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 14,008 times
Default New Claim?

Hello there!

I am hoping you can help me understand what will happen now since I am unable to ever reach the ESC.

I was laid off in Oct. 2008, and have not worked since. I have earned $185/week, and my benefit year ended Saturday (Oct. 17, 2009). I was told that once my benefit year ended, I would need to call the ESC and file a new claim, but as I said, I am unable to ever get through to anyone.

Since I have not worked since Oct. 2008, what does that mean for a new claim, whenever I am able to get through to refile?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,008 times
Oh if this helps my above question at all, my benefit year ended, but I was in the EUC. Not sure if that matters in your response or not.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkspeaks View Post
Just a question. I cant seem get a straight answer from anyone. I was disqualified for the first 13 weeks of unemployment. I was told I did not qualify for any of the extention programs. I am at my wits end with this whole thing. My benefits run out in a couple of weeks and I have no answer, no job, no job on the horizon....nothing! Could someone help me find the answer. thax dk
The answer is simple. First, you must monetarily qualify to be eligible for extensions...they are NOT automatic. Your total wages in the base period must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period. Simple math example:

High quarter in the base period $10,000 - means total base period wages must be equal to or greater than $15,000 in order to qualify for extensions.

If you do not meet this requirement, you will not qualify for ANY extensions. I had someone at my desk last week that was $12 short for qualifying for the extensions. No exceptions, he does not qualify.

IF you meet the monetary requirements above, then you will be eligible for the first two extensions out there (EUC08 Tier 1, and EUC08 Tier 2). However, you will NOT qualify for Extended Benefits - EB - (currently the 3rd extension) because you MUST have a clean claim in order to qualify for EB. If you have ANY disqualification on your claim, even if it's been adjudicated in your favor, you will NOT qualify for EB. Period.

Last edited by jdljr; 10-19-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina