Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 AM

14 posts, read 21,492 times

Advertisements

I heard back so far only from Sen. Richard Stevens who said: "The General Assembly passed this extension last Thursday. On Saturday, the Governor vetoed it."

I'm sure he's not the only sticking point, but might want to be sure to send some persuasive argument his way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 AM

187 posts, read 259,177 times
The following is a very informative and updated article with a lot of insight, including a possible vote from the House of Representatives to override Purdue's "Veto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About that veto

Over the weekend, Gov. Bev Perdue vetoed H 383, the bill that would have both extended unemployment benefits and created a year-long continuing budget resolution that would have neutered her budget negotiating position (link) (http://www.news-record.com/blog/53964/entry/115793 - broken link). From the governor’s veto message:
Advertisement | Advertise with Us

House Bill 383 irresponsibly took the financial lifelines for 37,000 North Carolina citizens and families and hitched them to a budget ploy that will wreck the lives of millions more.
The General Assembly’s leadership needs to quickly send me a bill that will aid our fellow North Carolinians, free of these antics, and I will sign it.
Because the unemployment end of H 383 didn’t pass, 37,000 North Carolina residents will lose unemployment benefits this week. I asked lawmakers if they had any plans to fix the unemployment issue.
“We sent her a bill that fixes it, the governor vetoed it,” said Sen. Phil Berger, an Eden Republican and president pro tempore of the Senate. He noted that since the bill was a House measure, any veto override effort would start over in that chamber.
“It would be nice if four Democrats would join the Republicans,” he said.
So, supposing the House can’t override the veto (there are the votes in the Senate), are there any plans to send Perdue a bill that deals only with unemployment?
“We’ve not really talked about that,” Berger said. “We think the right thing to do would have been for the governor to sign the bill.”
On the House side, Majority Leader Paul “Skip” Stam sounded much the same themes.
He said it was “undecided” whether House lawmakers would attempt to override Perdue’s veto.
Stam said there was nothing in H 383 that the governor disagrees with other than something that’s not there.
“What she disagrees with is it doesn’t provide additional taxes,” Stam said. The governor’s budget would have kept a portion of a temporary sales tax increase, something Republicans say they will not do.
The unemployment benefits in question are paid by the federal government and the budget issue is a state matter, so why link them? Stam said the continuing resolution and the unemployment benefits were linked because they both provided for the continuity of government payments.
“They both relate to the continuity of government,” Stam said.
Both the House and Senate had skeleton sessions tonight because some members were out in their districts dealing with storm damage. That means that the House party caucuses couldn’t all get together to talk over how they would handle the veto and what the next steps might be.
Expect this question to come up when Speaker Thom Tillis and Berger hold their weekly press availability Tuesday morning.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,135 times
Default PLEASE any help to ease my mind

This is my last week of EUC. I'm now exhausted all of my teirs. I know that EB was taken away but I thought that I would still be able to apply. I went in today to file my B1 paper work and was denied. They said they are not taking anymore B1 applications.

I asked if a bill is passed can I apply then and get next weeks pay. She said NO. I started crying right in front of her. She then went in the back and came back and said she was sorry. I would still be able to apply but only if a bill is presented to them by friday. If not then I won't be able to apply and won't receive any retroactive money. I said that the news reports said it would be retroactive. She said that's only for people already on EB.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know the ESC is wrong all the time and I'm hoping and praying that they are. If not I'm going to lose everything if they don't pass something, anything by Friday.Even a weeks delay would put me behind in my rent because it's so close to the end of the month.

I'm so scared!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM

43 posts, read 56,694 times
Greg - I read that article last night. I've thought since Saturday that the Republicans would try to override the veto before they did anything else. That's why they've been so quite since then. I hope they get the votes in the house. Senate seems to be a "done deal" as far as the votes. My husband is the one with the EB ending issue. I left the workforce 5 years ago to stay home with the kids and my return is not an option, at least not in education.

I don't agree with the Republicans attaching anything to the bill, but in one way, they would be providing continuity for teachers. At least a system would know what kind of $ they were looking at. As it is now, Lincoln County just gave pink slips to 292, with the comment that they might be able to hire some back, depending on the what happened with the budget. Gaston County is looking at 463 right now, half that if the budget changes. Way to keep everyone in limbo. I am sure the same is true with other professions that depend on the state coffers as well.

Personally, when I was hired over 20 years ago, there had been a salary freeze for 5 years. This is what the bill would have done - freeze salaries and protect jobs. As it is now, the unemployment rolls in this area just increased, not decreased. I would rather have a frozen salary than no salary at all, like we have now. Many folks I know who are still privately employed have had to take a salary cut (I know one person who works overtime at, not time and a half, but HALF of the normal rate. They were told to accept it, or leave!) or a benefits cut. What I am saying here is that what the Republicans did was wrong, even borderline sleazy, but would it have really been all that bad? Read the language in the bill and you would see that it wasn't as drastic a request as the media has made it out to be.

Hoping for an override, praying for God's grace.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM

wtngpatiently, I hear you and support you 100% and hope and pray along with you. You yourself being a teacher, should serve as an example to others by reading your post here. We will see what happens, and I urge everyone to continue calling and emailing the senators and representatives.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

People, this is the latest from Raleigh, NC. This is the outcry of people against the veto of HB 383. I speak on behalf of people, such as our fellow members "wtngpatiently" and "pink3030" and all the rest of us who face non-payment of EB benefits. I urge you to call and email the NC representatives. They can be found on this site: North Carolina General Assembly - NC House of Representatives Members (2011-2012 Session) As senator Phil Berger said above, we need 4 Democrats to vote along with the Republicans to override Perdue's veto. Send your emails and lets get these 4 or more votes to support us and bring back our only lifeline, our only means of survival at present.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina residents who just lost unemployment benefits are protesting a political faceoff that halted extended help for 37,000 jobless.
Gov. Beverly Perdue vetoed legislation over the weekend that would have kept checks flowing but only if she accepted a double-digit budget cut that Republican leaders wanted.
Several of the affected jobless workers will be in Raleigh on Tuesday to protest the political jousting. They'll be joined by a labor union officer of North Carolina's AFL-CIO.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 AM

244 posts, read 311,383 times
Media Update:

GOP: No new benefits bill in sight :: WRAL.com

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM

169 posts, read 314,916 times
Default Not an update at all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
"Tillis and Senate Leader Phil Berger said the timeframe for the override attempt hasn’t yet been established. They expect to start those discussions today."

Things will move in OUR direction this week(Just like Missouri). Everyday that their is no EB the Governor loses an unemployed voter, or an unemployed voters spouse, or an unemployed voter's friend...They stick by the number 37,000, but we all know how skewed this number is. What about the unemployed who didn't have the opportunity to apply for benefits?

The Republican party is being stubborn, and standing in solidarity(like the federal gov shutdown two weeks ago). This is the worst kind of political positioning, it is deplorable behavior considering the unemployment crisis.

Why don't they just push through a bill with NO political agenda you ask?
The Republicans have a golden opportunity for power and budget control. The Gov. did not buckle under this pressure.

Look, I just emailed eight representatives in a mass email, it wasn't very hard to do. MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. USE THE RIGHTS YOU HAVE AS AN AMERICAN -- WITH FREEDOM TO QUESTION THE GOVERNMENT AND FREEDOM TO OBJECT TO THESE GREASY POLITICS.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM

244 posts, read 311,383 times
UPDATE: NC Justice Center

Use this link to tell your lawmaker: we MUST extend jobless benefits for 37,000 of our neighbors

NC Justice Center | NC Justice Center

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM

23 posts, read 35,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink3030 View Post
This is my last week of EUC. I'm now exhausted all of my teirs. I know that EB was taken away but I thought that I would still be able to apply. I went in today to file my B1 paper work and was denied. They said they are not taking anymore B1 applications.

I asked if a bill is passed can I apply then and get next weeks pay. She said NO. I started crying right in front of her. She then went in the back and came back and said she was sorry. I would still be able to apply but only if a bill is presented to them by friday. If not then I won't be able to apply and won't receive any retroactive money. I said that the news reports said it would be retroactive. She said that's only for people already on EB.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know the ESC is wrong all the time and I'm hoping and praying that they are. If not I'm going to lose everything if they don't pass something, anything by Friday.Even a weeks delay would put me behind in my rent because it's so close to the end of the month.

I'm so scared!
Don't always listen to the clerks at the office. If everything works out with the "politics" you should be good. Still no update on it yet. It's the same thing over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina