Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM

187 posts, read 259,209 times

Advertisements

People, I know this inactivity by the Legislature is pathetic. We are all suffering and on top of our suffering, we are put "on hold" here. Do continue to be proactive on the issue, if we are to get any results. Email and call the Governor and the folks in the legislature, and see if we can get any answer here on what's going on and if there's an end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 PM

264 posts, read 363,983 times
If they've adjourned until Monday at 5:15 p.m., that's obviously disappointing news. On the other hand, Holwager says Rep. Brawley's office specifically referred to House Bill 676. That is good news as that could be construed they're going in the direction of the better bill. At the moment, there's at least 2 competing bills (could be more for all I know) in the House Commerce Committee concerning UI.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM

169 posts, read 314,930 times
Default "On hold" or is this a done issue?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
People, I know this inactivity by the Legislature is pathetic. We are all suffering and on top of our suffering, we are put "on hold" here. Do continue to be proactive on the issue, if we are to get any results. Email and call the Governor and the folks in the legislature, and see if we can get any answer here on what's going on and if there's an end in sight.
I for one am sick of this inactivity. Why has nothing been done this week?! I have gotten the same blanket responses from everyone I have contacted...and believe me, I have written, called, and emailed everyone and their grandma....TWICE.

I am addicted to checking these forums at this point, and worried sick to my stomach. I think I need to move into the weekend with a clear head and try to enjoy the holiday.

I feel like if something didn't happen this week, it is not going to happen. To most of us who are truly concerned...we can't wait until July 1st. That is absurd.

I need some good news. I am feeling super-down about this whole situation.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 21,494 times
I take it from another post that there _is_ a limit on how many emails to a particular official we can send? Not sure if that clears if it's about 676 instead of 383 but I've sent at least 2-3 on each so I'm down to trying to get my friends to use that NC Center for Justice auto-email page.

Anyone have some eloquent persuasive text for a physical letter?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM

I wish I could offer some more positive news on the topic, but at the moment, I don't have any updates. I hope all of us can take a moment to reflect on the commemoration of Good Friday tomorrow and Easter Sunday, and please do say a prayer about this issue also. I haven't lost hope, even though we haven't received any word on the matter yet. Any news on any of these legislative bills and any e-mails from any members of legislature, we will greatly appreciate it that the members of this forum will share with all of us here.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:22 PM

20 posts, read 26,899 times
What I want to believe, logically believe, is that there ARE some sort of negotiations still in the works. It was a shortened week, there were major storms, and each side has done their best to desecrate the other in the media. No one can defend with a straight face, attaching EB to a state budget. Perdue said long before, she would veto anything like that, and she did.

In the economy of scales, it was 37,000 LAST week. Each subseuqent week the issue is stalled adds more families. In summary?

I cannot accept that NC will not pass legislation that restores EB, be it through a veto overdide or a compromise on the vetoed bill. I would NOT look for new legislation or action on anything else though concenring EB, but a final compromise on the bill that was vetoed. Conscience demands it, but neither side can give the appearance of caving in. I would expect something next week or I would then be willing to say we have lost until a much later date, if then.

My personal prayers are extended to each of you and your families

Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM

43 posts, read 56,695 times
My fear is that both sides will carry their stubborness on so many issues right to the June 30 date and then where will that leave all North Carolinians, not just us 99ers? The stubborness that exists right now makes me leary that maybe both sides are willing to risk a government shutdown just to prove their point. Why can they not see past their own issues to the big picture - the one that involves all people in this state and their respective futures? A government shutdown affects everyone and the longer it goes, the worse it gets. No, as one representative pointed out, NC government has never shut down, but that may not be the case this go-round. If neither side is willing to compromise now, what makes any of us think that they will compromise in June or even after to pass the short-term, stop-gap, temporary manuevers that they have used in the past to keep things moving until compromise could be made? The citizens of this state, employed and unemployed alike, need to understand that right now, this budget issue, or impasse if you will, is going to be about more than EB benefits. The republicans saw a chance to push the issue earlier and in their favor, and they took it, leaving EB hanging out to dry. Democrats are not innocent here either. It is politics as usual, but politics is not what is needed in the volatile economy of NC and the US. Give and take is.

I am so tired of being addicted to checking the news, this thread, and other sources for info. on EB. Enough already - solve this issue and continue wrangling with the budget in the 2 months that are left to do so!

Thanks to all who post - information and opinions alike.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Kenneth and Wtngpatiently, your views and opinions are greatly appreciated. I tend to agree that something will happen next week. Any more news and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 PM

44 posts, read 63,775 times
As far as I can tell, here's how we got into this mess:
  • Republicans, running for office based on creating a fiscally responsible government, were elected to a General Assembly majority for the first time in 100 years.
  • With North Carolina running a budget deficit, the Republicans submitted a budget to Gov Perdue to solve this by reducing government spending by about 8.5%.
  • Gov Perdue basically slapped the Republicans in the face & increased her budget.
  • The Republicans ratified a change to extend EB benefits if Perdue would accept the budget they submitted to her in February (which is now 13% lower than what Perdue wants.)

I don't like that the Republicans tied the EB extension to the state budget. However, they're trying to keep the state from running out of money by reducing the budget, which is what the voters wanted. I can't blame the Republicans for trying to get Perdue's attention this way after it seems she basically acted like a baby by ignoring the Republican submitted budget and, astonishingly, increased her budget.

I think Perdue's end game is to force the Republicans into a budget that runs a deficit. When elections come back up, no one will remember how the state spent more money than it brought in but they will remember that the Republicans said they wouldn't overspend & ended up doing so.

Perdue could have signed the bill - all it added was the budget reductions she has known about for two months. Increasing her budget in defiance of the majority party & voters shows that Perdue doesn't want to work with the Republicans so it's unlikely we're going to get a any help from her. The Republicans were elected to reduce spending, so I doubt they'll back down.

All it took was one little signature to fix this

Old 04-21-2011, 03:57 PM

169 posts, read 314,930 times
Default Next Week of No week

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
Kenneth and Wtngpatiently, your views and opinions are greatly appreciated. I tend to agree that something will happen next week. Any more news and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
It meant to read: NEXT WEEK OR NO WEEK...oh well

Like Kenneth said, "Conscience demands it, but neither side can give the appearance of caving in. I would expect something next week or I would then be willing to say we have lost until a much later date, if then."

This was a shortened week, and a calm, after both a literal storm, and a figurative storm: the mudslinging campaign by both Republicans and Democrats.

They are both wrong for using the unemployed as bargaining chips, but it has happened. I am expecting a change next week with fingers completely crossed.

EVERYONE ENJOY EASTER AND YOUR FAMILIES. Family is always more important that this political nonsense that we are being put through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina