Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM

244 posts, read 311,399 times

Advertisements

No deal reached on jobless benefits | newsobserver.com projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM

43 posts, read 56,695 times
I agree with you as well, jmichaelp. In this case, I think there is justification for finger pointing both ways. Still doesn't change our situation. Maybe it is better that my family and I have to deal with it sooner, rather than later. The money running dry would eventually have happened at the end of the year for us (WIA funds were supposed to kick in once EB was exhausted, but once Federal support ended at the end of the year, who knows??). I'm not sure we would have been in any better a position to deal with it then, but at least we would have know it was coming. This situation is so disheartening for so many on a multitude of different levels because we were blind-sided with it. Not to turn things religious, but only God knows my future, and I need to put my faith and trust there, not on whether some bill will or will not pass. This weekend should be refreshing from that standpoint.

Happy Easter to all. Let's give ourselves a break, at least for the weekend, from all this stress. It is amazing what some time out from this may do for all of us.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 PM

To HMRM - to say that I am asking for money I didn't earn, please know this - My husband and I have both worked and paid into this system since we were 16. I am 42 and he is 43. I think that we have more than paid for what we have gotten, including the 20 weeks of EB. I hope you never have to face this situation, because with your attitude, you would be condemning yourself. You could very well be on the receiving end within 10 seconds of time. I am glad you have a job and I hope you get to keep it. And remember this as well - you do not get the right to make assumptions about people whose situations you have no understanding about.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 PM

PS - each of these threads talks about adding those jobs in the next 2 to 5 years. Just how do you expect the unemployed to be employed at these places when they have not even been built? Husqvarna was supposed to add 300+ jobs in Charlotte by this year's end, but none of them have materialized. Same could also be said for these companies.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM

24 posts, read 31,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
PS - each of these threads talks about adding those jobs in the next 2 to 5 years. Just how do you expect the unemployed to be employed at these places when they have not even been built? Husqvarna was supposed to add 300+ jobs in Charlotte by this year's end, but none of them have materialized. Same could also be said for these companies.
I agree, I have noticed that most of the jobs being brought into NC are not available now when we need them. I need a job now! Not in June, July or 2 years from now.God bless you all and hope you have a great Easter. Hopefully next week will bring some good news, be it a job or news on EB.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM

40 posts, read 65,393 times
The Daily Reflector

From the Daily Reflector:

When voters installed a Republican majority in the N.C. General Assembly for the first time in a century, they did so calling for change in Raleigh and a desire to see state spending curtailed in the face of a massive budget shortfall. The expectation was that the GOP leadership would find ways to work with Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue.
Last weekend instead saw Republicans instigate a game of political chicken with the governor, taking 37,000 unemployed North Carolinians unwillingly along for the ride. The people of this state expect good-faith negotiations to resolve this budget crisis and deserve better than the use of jobless benefits as leverage to force Perdue's agreement to GOP demands.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-21-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM

244 posts, read 311,399 times
Lawmakers miss another key deadline. Still no solution for 37,000 jobless in NC.

No deal on State Health Plan :: WRAL.com

Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
mod note
I’d like to take a few moments to remind everyone of the Terms of Service that all members agree to when they join the site.

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

Please refer to the Terms of Service, available at the top of every forum index page, for complete posting guidelines.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM

55 posts, read 100,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
To HMRM - to say that I am asking for money I didn't earn, please know this - My husband and I have both worked and paid into this system since we were 16. I am 42 and he is 43. I think that we have more than paid for what we have gotten, including the 20 weeks of EB. I hope you never have to face this situation, because with your attitude, you would be condemning yourself. You could very well be on the receiving end within 10 seconds of time. I am glad you have a job and I hope you get to keep it. And remember this as well - you do not get the right to make assumptions about people whose situations you have no understanding about.
I think you had better re read my posts and then apologize. I was taking another poster to task for implying that all of us that aren't working are wanting something for nothing. What part of my heart goes out to all that have been affected even when I am not in that situation makes me have a bad attitude?????? To what post of mine are you referring? Please quote it on here the same way you just insulted me. I said I am fortunate in that I don't need EB. That is because regardless of whether it passes or not I will never see it. I have been told that it runs out at the end of the year and I will still be on the tiers by then if I don't find a job. I cannot help but feel the pain for those effected and will continue to make calls and emails on their behalf. Please tell me how I have a bad attitude?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,445 times
Please take accusations, name-calling, etc to DM and keep it out of this thread...please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina