Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:34 PM

174 posts, read 313,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalfrey View Post
Jobless benefits for 37K in NC behind other issues - GreenwichTime (http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Jobless-benefits-for-37K-in-NC-behind-other-issues-1351390.php - broken link)

Correct me if I'm wrong (I often am), Thom Tillis' spokesperson stated that, "It's unlikely that the House will originate a bill this week, but if the Senate originates a bill we'll look at it this week." Isn't there already a bill in each house (H676 and S584) dealing with the EB issue, or have they completely fallen off the radar?

I never did pay much attention in Civics class
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Games are still being played There's actually a bi-partisian Senate bill already there for them to vote on. It was created by both a democrat and republican. They are not looking at it because they are still platying games. Statements like "we don't have time to look at the VETO of the EB bill" is another way of saying that it's Perdue's fault that we don't have it. More games. Once the games stop something will be done.

But one thing I wish a reporter or anyone would ask the GA or God forbid the govenor is the future damage? The amount of additional people being affected is ignored right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

122 posts, read 161,271 times
The Game will NOT be over until we are very close to July 1st!!! Sit back and hold on.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM

264 posts, read 363,908 times
Just got this email from Alexandra Sirota:

It appears that a compromise was not achieved this weekend on the fix to the extended benefits trigger. However, there continues to be efforts at the General Assembly to move HB676 as soon as possible.

As part of this effort, a hearing is being planned for this Wednesday at 2 pm at the General Assembly in Raleigh to demonstrate support for unemployment insurance and call for quick passage of the bill. We encourage you all to attend and share your stories. If you would like more information, you can reach out to: Jeff Jeff Giertz’ number at 919-715-3001.

I will keep you up to date as I learn more.

Sincerely, Alexandra

Alexandra Forter Sirota
Director
North Carolina Budget and Tax Center
alexandra@ncjustice.org
919-861-1468

Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM

187 posts, read 259,138 times
I have received the same e-mail, abcde12, and I want to take the opportunity to sincerely thank you for sharing this with all of us on this thread. I want to encourage everyone to continue to write to the legislators and voice their continued support of the EB issue. Let's hope that we can get positive news here soon.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
The Game will NOT be over until we are very close to July 1st!!! Sit back and hold on.
There's no "holding on" for a time period that far off. That's like saying Sit back and Hold on for a plane to crash or a ship to sink.

By then the number affected could be 70 to 80 thousand or maybe even 100 thousand. Remember people have been Unemployed for 79 weeks therefore they have most likely depleted savings and 401ks, may even be behind on mortgages and rents already. 3 months of no payments to people who thought they would get it would cause a financial disaster for this state. Forclosures, bad debt, bankruptcies won't stop because of the promise of retroactive payments. It's would be like if a storm destroyed the lives of 80,000 thousand people and the government decided to wait 3 months before they provided help. By then help is irrelevant.

I don't know about you, but I can honestly say that if they wait that long and I still haven't found a full-time job, then holding on isn't an opiton. I'm gone! No home, no car, nothing. Looking for a job would not even be a priority anymore because survival on the streets will be.

I don't think they are prepared for that kind of damage.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 PM

187 posts, read 259,138 times
dazeja, I agree fully with what you have said. It would be completely pointless, even from the political "game-point" view to address this issue so far off into the future, where it would do little if anything to revert the damage the long-term inactivity would have caused. I have hope, and so should all of you, that this issue will be addressed and solved within a week or so.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM

169 posts, read 314,893 times
Default I agree Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
dazeja, I agree fully with what you have said. It would be completely pointless, even from the political "game-point" view to address this issue so far off into the future, where it would do little if anything to revert the damage the long-term inactivity would have caused. I have hope, and so should all of you, that this issue will be addressed and solved within a week or so.

We knew nothing would get solved this weekend(it was a holiday weekend and they adjourned during it). It just has to be a "clean" bill signed by the governor. We will see action on this, this week. Long term inactivity would not be in the best interest of anyone, especially when it is funded by the fed. Your right Greg, it would be a mute point to address this issue in two or three months...the damage would have been done by then. \

Something needs to happen NOW. I am going back to my efforts of constant email and letter writing. My voice will be heard, it is my right as an American. What is taking so long to pass HB 676?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM

122 posts, read 161,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
There's no "holding on" for a time period that far off. That's like saying Sit back and Hold on for a plane to crash or a ship to sink.

By then the number affected could be 70 to 80 thousand or maybe even 100 thousand. Remember people have been Unemployed for 79 weeks therefore they have most likely depleted savings and 401ks, may even be behind on mortgages and rents already. 3 months of no payments to people who thought they would get it would cause a financial disaster for this state. Forclosures, bad debt, bankruptcies won't stop because of the promise of retroactive payments. It's would be like if a storm destroyed the lives of 80,000 thousand people and the government decided to wait 3 months before they provided help. By then help is irrelevant.

I don't know about you, but I can honestly say that if they wait that long and I still haven't found a full-time job, then holding on isn't an opiton. I'm gone! No home, no car, nothing. Looking for a job would not even be a priority anymore because survival on the streets will be.

I don't think they are prepared for that kind of damage.
Well if you can't hold on for 8 weeks, I suggest you make other plans TODAY. If you are on EB today, don't expect a big economic change by September when your 20 weeks will run out by if extended. Fortunately I am not on my last dime yet......

Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
Well if you can't hold on for 8 weeks, I suggest you make other plans TODAY. If you are on EB today, don't expect a big economic change by September when your 20 weeks will run out by if extended. Fortunately I am not on my last dime yet......
you are completly correct which furthers proves the point that it would Be useless to wait that long. most People would have two choices and that's to either find a job or loose everything. Either way retroactivity would be useless. Which brings up another question. If we do find a job while they are debating to you still get back pay???

I do disagree about the state of the economy. Our household has two unemployed people out of three. We both have found an improvement in call backs and interviews. It took me 6 months to get a call back for the part-time job I have now. I think it will be a little better. Not great but better.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM

169 posts, read 314,893 times
Default The unemployed being hijacked all over the country

I read a great article that laid out the specific injustice within each state that is holding up unemployment benefits to their people. It is the SAME political gaming, and it is beyond shameful.

However, it all is getting excellent media coverage on the web. I am sure things will work out fine here in NC...I hope by this weekend.

Here is a link to contact some representatives. It is easy and worth doing.

NC Justice Center | NC Justice Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina