Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM

122 posts, read 161,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Here's the contact info for Gov. Perdue: governor.office@nc.gov and 919-733-4240

Below is a sample letter you can put into an email that was provided by "Reinstate NC Benefits for the Unemployed Now"

DEAR GOVERNOR PERDUE,

THIS IS URGENT!!! PLEASE, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT ALL WHO NEED AND WHO WILL NEED THE EXTENDED BENEFIT PROGRAM FOR UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.

STOP ALL THIS POLITICAL POSTURING FROM BOTH SIDES. YOU BLAME THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY FOR NOT GETTING IT DONE, AND THEY ARE BLAMING YOU. YOU ARE THE GOVERNOR OF NORTH CAROLINA. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THIS DONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. PEOPLE ARE HURTING!!! IT IS ONLY GETTING WORSE..... YOU DO HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THIS HORRIBLE SITUATION. THIS SHOULD BE OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE.

WE NEED YOU TO WORK OUT A NEW FORMULA AND PLAN FOR THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. WE ARE ALL COUNTING ON YOU. PLEASE DO NOT LET THE GREAT STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA BE THE ONLY STATE WHO COULD NOT ACHIEVE THIS. PLEASE.

AGAIN, I AM SURE YOU DO REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS. WE ARE WAITING. WE ARE COUNTING ON YOU. THANK YOU.
She will need a clean bill before she does anything, and I support that 100-%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM

249 posts, read 304,836 times
Default In an ideal world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
She will need a clean bill before she does anything, and I support that 100-%
I would LOVE to see a clean bill but everything coming from the Republicans indicates that won't happen. Therefore, we need to push both sides to come up with some sort of resolution so that the OVER 37,000 people now being held hostage can get some relief.

Please don't stop calling and writing.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM

122 posts, read 161,219 times
I agree we need some relief, but not at the expense of the rest of the state for no good reason. The GOP will change their attitude once we get closer to 7/1.....mark my words!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM

244 posts, read 311,280 times
GOP signatures absent from Unemployment Petition ~ NC Pundit

Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 AM

162 posts, read 212,883 times
Here is the only Republican response I have gotten so far in the past 3 weeks.

I will certainly continue to support your concern. Linda

Rep. Linda P. Johnson
District 83, Cabarrus County
919-733-5861
704-932-1376

If she supports it then why not sign petition for H676? I have received several Dem. responses that say they are supporting it. Of course with only 52 of them it won't make it far without some help. If you read the article posted just above this you will see this in it,

"If it was a standalone bill addressing the unemployment benefits, it would pass 50-0 in the Senate," Mansfield said. "I don't think we as freshmen came up to the General Assembly to play this type of politics."

Now in response to this I say then get S584 out of committee and pass it. He is even a sponsor of it. Here is his email so we can all tell him about S584 a stand alone bill for 3 year look back. Eric.Mansfield@ncleg.net

Last edited by NCEB; 05-02-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 AM

43 posts, read 56,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEB View Post
Here is the only Republican response I have gotten so far in the past 3 weeks.

I will certainly continue to support your concern. Linda

Rep. Linda P. Johnson
District 83, Cabarrus County
919-733-5861
704-932-1376

If she supports it then why not sign petition for H676? I have received several Dem. responses that say they are supporting it. Of course with only 52 of them it won't make it far without some help. If you read the article posted just above this you will see this in it,

"If it was a standalone bill addressing the unemployment benefits, it would pass 50-0 in the Senate," Mansfield said. "I don't think we as freshmen came up to the General Assembly to play this type of politics."

Now in response to this I say then get S584 out of committee and pass it. He is even a sponsor of it. Here is his email so we can all tell him about S584 a stand alone bill for 3 year look back. Eric.Mansfield@ncleg.net

A stand alone bill won't pass because it will never get out of the house. Since the bill originally started in the house, any change, including a new stand alone bill, would have to start there. The 50-0 issue in the senate that was mentioned just means that all Dems would vote for it and not against it. It doesn't mean that it would make it out of the senate either. The numbers just aren't there without some Repubs changing sides and I don't see that happening either.

I am beginning to think that we are all scr_wed and that even July 1 won't make a difference. I feel very strongly that there will be a government shut down becasue neither side will budge off their opinion of what is right. We all need to prepare for the economy of NC to get much worse than it is right now. At least we can see this coming and not get blind-sided with it in a week and a half like before with EB.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM

264 posts, read 363,816 times
Was it Rep. Wainwright, the original sponsor of House Bill 676, that started the discharge petition to jettison that bill out of the committee for a full House vote? What's happened on that front? How many signatures does it currently have and how many does it need?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 PM

264 posts, read 363,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
A stand alone bill won't pass because it will never get out of the house. Since the bill originally started in the house, any change, including a new stand alone bill, would have to start there. The 50-0 issue in the senate that was mentioned just means that all Dems would vote for it and not against it. It doesn't mean that it would make it out of the senate either. The numbers just aren't there without some Repubs changing sides and I don't see that happening either.

I am beginning to think that we are all scr_wed and that even July 1 won't make a difference. I feel very strongly that there will be a government shut down becasue neither side will budge off their opinion of what is right. We all need to prepare for the economy of NC to get much worse than it is right now. At least we can see this coming and not get blind-sided with it in a week and a half like before with EB.
I don't know why you people are so negative. It will pass!

Take a wider view, in terms of:

1) It's not just us, the unemployed, that matter. There's 9.5 million other citizens in this state, too.

2) Political wrangling is normal, it's par for the course and not at all unexpected. But bills eventually get passed and this one will, too.

Take The Wide View!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM

249 posts, read 304,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
I don't know why you people are so negative. It will pass!

Take a wider view, in terms of:

1) It's not just us, the unemployed, that matter. There's 9.5 million other citizens in this state, too.

2) Political wrangling is normal, it's par for the course and not at all unexpected. But bills eventually get passed and this one will, too.

Take The Wide View!
I'm with you abcde12. This will pass and the budget will get passed as well before we experience any lapse in government services.

Please don't give up everyone. Just keep writing and calling. Persistence is key.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM

244 posts, read 311,280 times
UPDATE:

House GOP Caucus Press Conference today regarding the Budget. Legislative Building, Press Conference room, 4pm.

North Carolina General Assembly - Press Audio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina