Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

264 posts, read 363,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
I don't think any Democrats have problems with the Democrats in the house , the problem most people have is with Purdue's silence. I think the VETO was the right thing to do, but come on it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that she could've done it WAY better. If I was her advisor I would've said,,"look you missed your opportunity to say something about this before,, So hold on to that bill. Get with the DEMS in the House, discuss H676, know that bill like you know your right hand and then annouce in a public press conference that you are going to veto the bill and here is a BILL that I support. As a matter of fact she could've initiated the push out of the committee. If she did all of that three weeks ago she would've probably still be untouched.

The way she's handling it fits her history!
If you want to say Perdue should not be silent on this issue, I won't argue with you. But all 40,000 of us also have the power to be heard. All the media coverage, calls and emails to lawmakers, WILL make the difference if kept up long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

134 posts, read 172,698 times
I do not believe Alexandra Sirota would have the rally in Charlotte for nothing. She must believe there is a way to reinstate these benefits.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM

264 posts, read 363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy terry View Post
I do not believe Alexandra Sirota would have the rally in Charlotte for nothing. She must believe there is a way to reinstate these benefits.
Oh, absolutely, there is a way. I strongly believe it's a matter of when, not if.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:55 PM

187 posts, read 259,177 times
That is correct, mommy terry. You do not have media coverage of this magnitude and members of the ESC commerce like Alexandra Sirota sponsoring rallies if there was no way that the EB issue would be resolved. Everyone must continue to be proactive and stand up for what they believe. A resolution in the EB issue will come.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM

156 posts, read 190,100 times
I sent this last mail with the heading: "REPUBLICANS NOW KNOWN AS ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR FAMILIES IN NC GOING HUNGRY" This one was sent to all of them, and all the media outlets on my mailing lists! Lord, we need help. I pray something is going to change for all of us suffering through this. My prayer to all of you in this fight with me.

This has come to the BREAKING POINT for so many families in our state. Funds already allocated to NC for this purpose alone, are sitting unused. The longer our leaders hold this desperately needed lifeline, the more children, parents, are needlessly suffering. HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US? We now know the individuals who are directly responsible for keeping families from basic necessities. Our voices are not going away, your phone-lines and emails and facebook accounts will know who we all are. Do the right thing for those that are suffering for 4 weeks now...

The release of HB 676 stand firmly in a holding pattern because of Danny McComas' committee. He is the only leader who can push this bill out for discussion according to source. (919)733-5786

The release of the second stand alone bill, Martin Nesbitt's bill is in the hands of Fletcher Hartsell Jr (919)733-7223, Bob Rucho (919) 733-5655 and Apodaca (919) 733-5745.Source was the first to offer me phone numbers and emails.

This person also told me she is overcome with grief and is on "our side" she also thanked me for our efforts as her daugther is one of us "37,000"

Please, someone has to give for US!!! We have not done anything to deserve this, from both sides. This story has made it's way to all media outlets about how our leaders just don't care about a hungry family. It's not only food, rent, lights, transportation. It's the people who live with us, grandparents, children. Not to mention anyone who needs medications also. Please help us as soon as possible!!! We need this to be resolved ASAP! This in no way can wait any longer, people are getting desperate. Show us that you can agree on something that doesn't need to be involved with anything else...Mr. Nesbitt has stated it could be passed in as little as 1 hour. Do you realize how much people are HURTING RIGHT NOW!!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM

187 posts, read 259,177 times
Great Job, stangman2002. Efforts and emails like yours are the tools that will advance us in this standoff, and will push forth a resolution to getting our benefits reinstated. Thank you and all of us here for continuing the effort.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM

169 posts, read 204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
Here's an email from one of my Hero's

REQUEST FOR HELP:

All,

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you’re all doing well. All of you contacted me either by posting on our blog or emailing me about being some of the 37,000 affected folks. I’ve blind-copied everyone, since I didn’t want to violate anyone’s privacy by sending your email without permission.

I posted this on the blog as well, but I was hoping I could ask a favor of those who are willing to publicly share a bit more of their stories.

We’re hoping to launch a page soon dedicated solely to news about the standoff over the unemployment benefits soon. I’ll let you know as soon as it’s live.
In the meantime, I’m trying to collect more profiles of people, include photographs of those of you that are caught up in this limbo. The profiles would be very brief – essentially just the basic facts of the unemployment, a photo and how its effecting you. We may be doing larger ones as (and if) this continues. Part of the problems seems to be that there’s not a lot of realization of the real people being effected by this. By showing who you are, and what you’ve been through, hopefully that can be addressed.
If you could, please email me the following:

a.) A one to two paragraph description of your situation and your thoughts on the the tough choices you’re making with the benefits on hold as well as what you think about how politicians in Raleigh are dealing with this. I’m looking to here, in your words, what this has been like.

b) first and last name (include a nickname if that’s what you go by)
c) age
d) town or city where you live
e.) Job and date you were laid off from
f.) A digital photograph of yourself or your family, whatever you’re comfortable with being shared.

You can send it to sarah@ncpolicywatch.com.
For those who don’t know, there’s also a rally Monday at the Charlotte ESC office that unemployed workers are invited to attend. More information is available here: MEDIA ADVISORY: Unemployed workers to speak at Charlotte press conference on benefits extension | NC Justice Center
Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy the weekend as much as one can in this situation.

Best,

Sarah

Sarah Ovaska
Investigative reporter
N.C Policy Watch/N.C. Justice Center
P.O. Box 28068
224 S. Dawson St.
Raleigh, N.C. 27611
(919) 861-1463
sarah@ncpolicywatch.com
NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield | News and commmentary about public policy in North Carolina., NC Justice Center | NC Justice Center
bump

Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM

264 posts, read 312,995 times
Well, I'm sickened and would have a stiff drink if didn't have to go buy it. Jokerface Bev (yes, that's the way I feel right now) ignored direct questions on EB and the people in dire need. Ignored not once but THREE times. She actually acted liked she did not hear the questions although in a small enough group that there was no way. She did not get off the hook though but the only response was "I have no update to report at the moment. We struggle with compromise on this matter."

We struggle?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM

169 posts, read 204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Well, I'm sickened and would have a stiff drink if didn't have to go buy it. Jokerface Bev (yes, that's the way I feel right now) ignored direct questions on EB and the people in dire need. Ignored not once but THREE times. She actually acted liked she did not hear the questions although in a small enough group that there was no way. She did not get off the hook though but the only response was "I have no update to report at the moment. We struggle with compromise on this matter."

We struggle?
Good work!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM

156 posts, read 190,100 times
I posted her response on the FB comment saying there is a compromise sitting on her desk!!! What the %UCK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina